Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the free FSD trial convince you to purchase FSD?

Do you intend to purchase FSD when your free trial runs out?

• Yes

• No

• Undecided

• Not offered free trial/already had it/other

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll say one thing, Tesla has no idea whatsoever what a horse and buggy looks like!
While driving in Amish area of PA I came across several of them. They typically get interpreted as 1-2 people walking together and the image is not stable. I guess there are no Amish in CA 😆

Reactions: KevinT3141
Just got the FSD demo this week....

This is my first time using FSD and it certainly feels like it should still be called "beta". It's a no for me.

My notes:
1. Too aggressive on acceleration, deceleration and following when on chill.
2. In a 30 min drive:
- signaled a lane change - but did not change lanes
- left turn into wrong lane
- speeding (more than the set %)
- did not recognize a green left turn light
3. Autopark:
- really likes to turn the wheels while you are not moving
- what should have been a simple reverse into a spot was slow and the car had to correct itself a couple of times

Overall it was not predictable or consistent enough to be useful.

I was a little on the fence but my free trial expired Wednesday and I haven’t subscribed. Took our first trip since then today and though I missed auto lane change, I’m not paying $ 1,200/year for it. For that money, I’ll change lanes myself and then re-engage auto steer when done.

I was a little on the fence but my free trial expired Wednesday and I haven’t subscribed. Took our first trip since then today and though I missed auto lane change, I’m not paying $ 1,200/year for it. For that money, I’ll change lanes myself and then re-engage auto steer when done.
That's my feeling as well. Although I did find that the Autosteer/LaneKeeping component of FSD was better. It didn't swing as wide on rural road curves.

Reactions: mborkow
To me the FSD basic driving (i.e, lane keeping, following distance, braking and accelerating) are much better than what I had with the free auto pilot. I'm not sure I could ever be happy with that old level of performance again. So I so I paid the 99 for at least one more month to test it out more.

I also really like the visualization.

It's a science experiment. I'll play for a while.

I traveled through Salt Lake City during rush hour yesterday, and the car did much better than I would have (to tell the truth.) It had to navigate onto several different interchanges, and I didn't have to worry about taking any wrong exits. In fact I didn't even have to think about it! I will say that it SHINES in heavy traffic. One thing that I noticed is that it hugs the left yellow line when passing big semi trucks - it's exactly what I would do. The full screen visuals really help keep me aware of my surroundings. At one point I wanted it to move to the right lane but noticed that a car approaching was indicated in RED - I quickly aborted my request. Nice to have on long trips - 575 miles yesterday with only three or four mistakes.

I took a 250 mile trip this past weekend with the FSD trial. Not 50 miles into the trip I turned if off and went back to autopilot. I think it is unusable at the moment the way people drive in the Miami/Fort Lauderdale/West Palm Beach area.

I used the auto lane change in autopilot and it works really well. This I will miss for sure.

I liked it enough to subscribe for another month to play with it some more. Don't think I'll subscribe every month but will likely activate it for the summer months or months when I'm going on longer trips and will turn it off in the winter when it's not as useful (from what I hear from others who actually purchased FSD and have had it for a while).

Reactions: zknobody