Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

You can’t cover more than 50% of your roof with solar?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

holeydonut

Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2020
East Bay NorCal
Listings
Huh, Contra Costa County tells me a roof can’t have more than 50% of it covered with solar.

Since a solar panel is like 18.5 square feet, I’d need like 90 to hit this magical 50% limit.

But how do you prove to them what is your roof surface area? Like if you say you’re going to end up with 35 panels = 650 sqft of solar, how do you prove your roof surface area is greater than 1,350 sqft? Like do you need an independent survey using a drone? Is Google maps sufficient?

Gahhh why is this solar stuff so goddamn annoying???????

PS, I hate PG&E.

Huh, Contra Costa County tells me a roof can’t have more than 50% of it covered with solar.

Since a solar panel is like 18.5 square feet, I’d need like 90 to hit this magical 50% limit.

But how do you prove to them what is your roof surface area? Like if you say you’re going to end up with 35 panels = 650 sqft of solar, how do you prove your roof surface area is greater than 1,350 sqft? Like do you need an independent survey using a drone? Is Google maps sufficient?

PS, I hate PG&E.
I would challenge this for sure, they aren't supposed to be able to create regulations like this against solar interests. Invoke the solar rights act and tell them they can't make any planning based decision against PV unless there are specific health or safety issues with the installation. Since the building codes do not recognize over 50% coverage as a red line I think you have a strong case.

According to the CFC and CBC, there are codes for 66% or more roof coverage in PV panels. I would ask them nicely for a code reference.

PS, I hate PG&E.
I also just researched Contra Cost County code amendments searching for keywords 'PV', 'Photovoltaic' and 'roof'. There does not appear to be a local amendment restricting PV to 50% of the roof, that I could find.

I also just researched Contra Cost County code amendments searching for keywords 'PV', 'Photovoltaic' and 'roof'. There does not appear to be a local amendment restricting PV to 50% of the roof, that I could find.

Here's the CCC "checklist". They consider my tile roof with tile hooks to be "flushmount" since there isn't much gap between the L-feet and racking mount. For these 12 solar panels that I'm adding... I can't do the standoff approach on a tile roof since I can't find anyone willing to do that.

I put that my roof wouldn't be more than 50% solar (marked [Y] for box 2C), but they came back and said I had to prove that statement.

So apparently I need to... "...Attach project‐specific drawings and calculations stamped and signed by a California‐licensed Civil or Structural Engineer". But I'm a dumbazz and don't actually know how to accomplish this feat (without paying $2,000 and hating PG&E even more for crapping on my original solar size).

The one engineer I talked to today was "you want me to do what now? I don't understand you're just adding solar right? If you want me to survey your roof size it's going to be expensive and I don't know what the purpose is since you're not changing your roof"

Another PS. If PG&E tells you that your solar is too big because you don't have an EV yet, PG&E is totally screwing you in the rear. I really really really really really hate PG&E.

PS, I hate PG&E.

You certainly know more about this stuff than I do, but solar companies (including tesla) can draw up install plans using google earth videos, so I would imagine any such limit (if it exists, and is legal to enforce) could be checked by the County using google earth and looking at a house and doing a calculation.

You have got to find a way to get off whatever list(s) you got yourself on, lol.

You certainly know more about this stuff than I do, but solar companies (including tesla) can draw up install plans using google earth videos, so I would imagine any such limit (if it exists, and is legal to enforce) could be checked by the County using google earth and looking at a house and doing a calculation.

You have got to find a way to get off whatever list(s) you got yourself on, lol.

I just want to charge my BEV with clean energy from solar panels 😿😿😿 . Why do these freaking AHJ's and PG&E make that so goddamn difficult?

Here's the CCC "checklist". They consider my tile roof with tile hooks to be "flushmount" since there isn't much gap between the L-feet and racking mount. For these 12 solar panels that I'm adding... I can't do the standoff approach on a tile roof since I can't find anyone willing to do that.

I put that my roof wouldn't be more than 50% solar (marked [Y] for box 2C), but they came back and said I had to prove that statement.

So apparently I need to... "...Attach project‐specific drawings and calculations stamped and signed by a California‐licensed Civil or Structural Engineer". But I'm a dumbazz and don't actually know how to accomplish this feat (without paying $2,000 and hating PG&E even more for crapping on my original solar size).

The one engineer I talked to today was "you want me to do what now? I don't understand you're just adding solar right? If you want me to survey your roof size it's going to be expensive and I don't know what the purpose is since you're not changing your roof"

Another PS. If PG&E tells you that your solar is too big because you don't have an EV yet, PG&E is totally screwing you in the rear. I really really really really really hate PG&E.

I mean measuring the roof is pretty easy from the simplest view possible if you want I can do that. If I'm looking from space it looks like you have a roof area in the parallel projection of its pitch of 3070 sqft. This is the simplest most conservative view of the area, since any measurement on the actual roof plane will be longer according to the slope of the roof itself.

It also ignores roof surfaces that are under the eaves near the 2nd story and should count as more roof. I'll pm you the picture

They do the same thing for meter upgrades, they don't consider your EV a valid load until you actually own one, even if you put in 14-50s in the garage intended for them.

1677299950204.png

I would politely point out this code and ask what other local code might supercede this 2022 CFC? If they have none they need to let you have a PV permit.

Reactions: h2ofun
Wow, Mandating EVs, but making it hard to create/capture energy. Want solar, but puts burdens on installing solar. It's a spaghetti bowl of regulations.

Yeah it's been brought to my attention by the very helpful (sarcasm) folks at PG&E and the County that what I should have done was get permitted for the full solar array, but leave the disconnect for one branch open. Then seek PTO for the resulting smaller array. Once I got the EV and could demonstrate a NEM deficit, then I could seek a new PTO that would include the larger array. Once fully inspected/approved, I could close the extra branch disconnect and get my full system up and running.

I've read all the stupid solar docs (which makes me very sad); and I've never such a recommendation published anywhere as a general recommendation or rule. It's 12 goddamn panels on a residential home, but PG&E can be absolute sh!tbricks and prevent the install because they're azzholes.

WTF why do people defend and support PG&E???????

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: bluestreak55
It has also been brought to my attention that ESS which are charged as part of a PV solar array fit into the state definition of a Solar Energy system and therefore the AHJ are not supposed to make rules against the location of them from a planning perspective. The Solar Rights Act is intended to prevent local AHJ from NIMBY rules against solar and energy storage systems.

However, some local jurisdictions enforce setbacks to an ESS system, which would be proposed on a wall of an existing permitted house or garage. Some local jurisdictions have increased setbacks from the property line and for instance you are not allowed to install your ess (or any new construction) within 40' of the front property lines or 20' from the side and rear PL. This is despite some of these homes having parts of the house including the service entrance or the garage inside this setback.

We just started pushing back against one of them, and the plan check comments we got in response showed they were not happy with the challenge to their authority. In this case it is the silliest thing because the house is like 10' away from the 10' setback. They are literally denying an ESS permit because it sticks off the wall 6 inches into a 10' setback.