Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Shudder Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, I have a 2017 P100D. I wanted to ask those who have had the “shudder” issue.

I got the service bulletin done for new half shafts and the Clevis mount, as our model X was vibrating as if you were going over a rumble strip around 30-50 mph on hard acceleration.

They did the SB, and I still have these mild rumble strip vibrations when hitting the accelerator hard. Is this just a characteristic of this car? Should I take it back? I feel like they will blow me off if I take it back and say they don’t feel anything (it’s mild but noticeable). So even with new half shafts and Clevis mount I still get the mild rumble strip feeling around > 30 mph.

Hey guys, I have a 2017 P100D. I wanted to ask those who have had the “shudder” issue.

I got the service bulletin done for new half shafts and the Clevis mount, as our model X was vibrating as if you were going over a rumble strip around 30-50 mph on hard acceleration.

They did the SB, and I still have these mild rumble strip vibrations when hitting the accelerator hard. Is this just a characteristic of this car? Should I take it back? I feel like they will blow me off if I take it back and say they don’t feel anything (it’s mild but noticeable). So even with new half shafts and Clevis mount I still get the mild rumble strip feeling around > 30 mph.
Same experience here after SB work performed. Put it in low it you are going to floor it in anything but chill. And don’t drive in range mode.

Save up for the N2ative rear camber kit and lowering links. I have a post about cheap hack that lowers just the front but get an alignment done after lowering. I’m back to stock now and drive in chill.

Not sure if I've read that before or perhaps just forgot.

Range mode, I think, just emphasis front motors while cruising down a highway. Not a lot of stress on the front shafts there I wouldn't think.
ive read that too but think range mode is more FWD biased in general. You can feel I do mostly city driving. Like 8k+ miles per year. My front tires wore faster than my backs. I see no practical advantage to range mode. Other than letting the battery stay cold longer and get hotter both are bad.

ive read that too but think range mode is more FWD biased in general. You can feel I do mostly city driving. Like 8k+ miles per year. My front tires wore faster than my backs. I see no practical advantage to range mode. Other than letting the battery stay cold longer and get hotter both are bad.
I take a lot of road trip and I used Range Mode on those highway drives. I can't imagine it stresses the front halfshalves tho cruising down the highway.
I have Scan-My-Tesla hooked up so I can see that it is using the front motors when cruising.

WdM9Co2.jpeg

ImreLe7.jpeg

sh2xuhD.jpeg

Reactions: EbS-P
I take a lot of road trip and I used Range Mode on those highway drives. I can't imagine it stresses the front halfshalves tho cruising down the highway.
I have Scan-My-Tesla hooked up so I can see that it is using the front motors when cruising.

WdM9Co2.jpeg

ImreLe7.jpeg

sh2xuhD.jpeg
No not much stress at all at constant speed.

It’s all about the acceleration. Rear squat under acceleration just makes the driveshaft angle worse.

I like data!

Reactions: scottf200