Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installing the TMC PWA (Progressive Web App) on your mobile device

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We will be shutting down our native TMC iOS and Android apps soon. As such, I wanted to take this opportunity to encourage users to install our PWA for both iOS and Android (the iOS PWA is actually necessary in order to receive push notifications on iOS).

iOS PWA Installation:
You can install TMC as a PWA on your iOS device by utilizing the Add to Home Screen feature in Safari. Instructions for this can be found on the following Apple support page: Bookmark a website in Safari on iPhone
screenshot-support.apple.com-2023.09.18-19_47_40.png
iOS Push Notifications:
iOS 16.4 finally introduced push notifications for iOS devices. To facilitate this, you should first make sure that notifications are turned on in your Safari advanced settings. This can be done using the following steps:​
  1. Open the Settings app on your iPhone​
  2. Scroll down and find Safari, and tap on it​
  3. Scroll down to the bottom and tap advanced​
  4. Tap on Webkit Feature Flags (also called Experimental Webkit Features on some versions of iOS)​
  5. Scroll down and turn on the toggle beside "Notifications".​
screenshot-cdn.discordapp.com-2023.10.05-16_13_52.png
Here is a video which shows this process.​
Then you need to install the TMC PWA (instructions in the section above). When you access the PWA and log in, you should be presented with a prompt that says "TMC would like your permission to enable push notifications". You will be able to click on the "enable push notifications". If you do not see that prompt, then push notifications can also be enabled in your TMC account Preferences. You should then be presented with the default iOS prompt for notifications wherein you can "Allow Notifications" for TMC. If you don't see that, then go into your iOS Settings and tap on the Notifications submenu, then tap on the TMC PWA app listed there, and make sure "Allow Notifications" is turned on for the TMC PWA. There may be some additional options there that you can configure there if you like.​

Android and Chrome on desktop PWA Installation:
When browsing with Chrome on desktop or Android, the app can be installed via the address bar on both mobile and desktop devices. On supported mobile devices, we also display an "Install" button at the bottom of the off-canvas menu, which is accessed by clicking the hamburger menu icon on the bottom right of your mobile navbar (on our default style).​
Android and Chrome on desktop Push Notifications:
On most devices running Chrome, you will be presented with a banner at the bottom of the screen which says "Tesla Motors Club would like your permission to enable push notifications." You can tap on the clickable area to turn it on. Alternatively, you can go directly to your TMC account Preferences and enable it there. After one of the mentioned steps, Chrome may also present you with a browser permission popup asking if you would like to "Allow" TMC to send you push notifications.​

Once the app is installed, it is readily available in exactly the same way as a native app. On mobile devices, that means it can be opened via an icon on the home screen. On desktop devices, it can be opened by searching your system or even pinning the app to your taskbar or dock.

For most devices, we set the app to display a minimal interface. The elements of this interface also vary by browser, but most importantly include navigation controls, including pull down to refresh, and in some cases a floating back button.

Chrome-based apps support application badging, which allows the app to indicate unread messages or alerts directly on its icon.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Last edited:
We will be shutting down our native TMC iOS and Android apps soon. As such, I wanted to take this opportunity to encourage users to install our PWA for both iOS and Android (the iOS PWA is actually necessary in order to receive push notifications on iOS).

iOS PWA Installation:
You can install TMC as a PWA on your iOS device by utilizing the Add to Home Screen feature in Safari. Instructions for this can be found on the following Apple support page: Bookmark a website in Safari on iPhone
iOS Push Notifications:
iOS 16.4 finally introduced push notifications for iOS devices. To facilitate this, you need to install TMC as a PWA. Push notifications can then be enabled by logging in through the PWA and enabling push notifications in your TMC account Preferences. After enabling the feature within the PWA, you will then need to go into your iOS Settings and tap on the Notifications submenu, then tap on the TMC PWA app listed there, and make sure "Allow Notifications" is turned on for the TMC PWA. There may be some additional options there that you can configure if you like.​
Android and Chrome on desktop PWA Installation:
When browsing with Chrome on desktop or Android, the app can be installed via the address bar on both mobile and desktop devices. On supported mobile devices, we also display an "Install" button at the bottom of the off-canvas menu, which is accessed by clicking the hamburger menu icon on the bottom right of your mobile navbar (on our default style).​
Android and Chrome on desktop Push Notifications:
On most devices running Chrome, you will be presented with a banner at the bottom of the screen which says "Tesla Motors Club would like your permission to enable push notifications." You can tap on the clickable area to turn it on. Alternatively, you can go directly to your TMC account Preferences and enable it there. After one of the mentioned steps, Chrome may also present you with a browser permission popup asking if you would like to "Allow" TMC to send you push notifications.​

Once the app is installed, it is readily available in exactly the same way as a native app. On mobile devices, that means it can be opened via an icon on the home screen. On desktop devices, it can be opened by searching your system or even pinning the app to your taskbar or dock.

For most devices, we set the app to display a minimal interface. The elements of this interface also vary by browser, but most importantly include navigation controls, including pull down to refresh, and in some cases a floating back button.

Chrome-based apps support application badging, which allows the app to indicate unread messages or alerts directly on its icon.

Please let us know if you have any questions.
I really don’t like installing “Special Apps” to view something that works fine in its current form. Typically “Special Apps” has a negative impact on the end user.

I‘m happy with the way IOS works, I‘d prefer to read the forum on my timing vs having spam pushed to me while I’m at work. Why fix something that isn’t broke?

I really don’t like installing “Special Apps” to view something that works fine in its current form. Typically “Special Apps” has a negative impact on the end user.

I‘m happy with the way IOS works, I‘d prefer to read the forum on my timing vs having spam pushed to me while I’m at work. Why fix something that isn’t broke?
I think you are confused. Firstly, a PWA is simply a website application inside of its own window. It is not a specialty app. I don't know what you even mean by specialty app. And you do not need to install the PWA, but some find it a more convenient way to access the site than going to a browser and opening a tab. This in no way negatively impacts the user at all. Secondly, the push notifications are not for spamming you. They are simply a convenient way to be notified of your forum alerts, and Conversations/DMs. For example, when I hit reply on this message, you will most likely receive an alert letting you know that I replied to you. Push notifications allow you to receive that alert via your devices notification system. Some like this, some don't. Those who don't like it, don't turn it on. That simple. Nothing to do with spam.

I don't know what you are suggesting that we think we are trying to fix. I would recommend doing a little research about what a PWA is.

Why are you shutting down the app to force users to use a web version? I literally stopped interacting on the web TMC until I found the app.
There are several reasons why we are shutting down the app, including:
  1. Very few users are actually using it.
  2. For the most part, we have not received particularly great feedback from those who have used it.
  3. There aren't really any advantages that the native app has over the PWA w/push notifications. Many of the pages within the native app have to be loaded as web pages in any case, and in some instances the PWA is actually faster.
  4. iOS now allows a PWA and push notifications (it didn't before)
There are other reasons related to maintenance, cost, security, performance, added dependency. and more. Unfortunately the cons far outweigh the pros in our case.

Is there a ‘back’ button on the PWA?

I often look through the list of New postings, and if I see something interesting I click on that thread. When using Chrome I can then click the back to return to whichever page I was on. Using the PWA I can go back to the beginning of a refreshed list, but I cannot figure how to get back to wherever I was last looking.

I would welcome instructions

Is there a ‘back’ button on the PWA?

I often look through the list of New postings, and if I see something interesting I click on that thread. When using Chrome I can then click the back to return to whichever page I was on. Using the PWA I can go back to the beginning of a refreshed list, but I cannot figure how to get back to wherever I was last looking.

I would welcome instructions
Are you on iOS or Android?

I am on Android and when using the PWA, I believe it functions identically to if you are in a chrome tab, so you should be able to go back by using the back gesture (depending on the specific navigation type you have configured.

Ahh yes, that works. Just needs to be very edge.
Correct, they make it the very edge so that such gestures are not confused with horizontal scrolling gestures.

I believe if you are on a device that doesn't offer a back gestures, that the PWA dynamically displays a floating back button. The back gesture however is preferable as it doesn't take up screen real estate.

Anyway, @flstcgranucci please try the pull down for refresh and the swipe in from edge for going back.