Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding a Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector as a product in the Tesla App. Why is it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reading App release notes, I only just saw that I can add our Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector as a product (like our Tesla car and PW2) in the Tesla App.

Our Wall Connector, which we've had for over 2 years, is already connected to our wifi and shown in our Tesla Home PW2 tab in the Tesla App and works perfectly.

Do I need to go through the all QR code and wifi connection process again to add the Connector, when it's already connected, to get this feature?

Reactions: jq371
Reading App release notes, I only just saw that I can add our Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector as a product (like our Tesla car and PW2) in the Tesla App.

Our Wall Connector, which we've had for over 2 years, is already connected to our wifi and shown in our Tesla Home PW2 tab in the Tesla App and works perfectly.

Do I need to go through the all QR code and wifi connection process again to add the Connector, when it's already connected, to get this feature?
I only added mine to the app for the scheduling ability and to see the stats

Reactions: evpaddie
I use ChargeHQ for scheduling and to ensure I maximize solar charging. The App already gives me some stats, comparing the cost of petrol to my energy supplier rates per kWh.

Are their any other features I may be missing by not having the Connector in my Tesla product list?
Nah that’s pretty much all it does. The native scheduling I guess is the main thing I use it for, but the 3rd party app does the same ..

Reactions: evpaddie
Some people have trouble getting the charger to hook up to the phone over wifi.

I wonder if this is related to the app?

So, I should hook it up in the app first or app second after hooking up phone?

Related question. What will getting a new phone do to the system? I can live without phone talking to car but charger should be left out of any comms issues with car I think.

So, I should hook it up in the app first or app second after hooking up phone?
You dont connect the Gen3 WC to the phone.
The commissioning process does 2 things: 1) you log in via your phone to the wifi access point of the WC to adjust the settings as per the commissioning process. 2) You then tell the WC what building wifi SSID to use to communicate with the Tesla App. Once the commisioning process is completed the WC's own SSID is turned off and it uses the building wifi SSID.

What will getting a new phone do to the system
Nothing, because the entire Tesla user ecosystem resides in the Tesla App. Change the phone, download the app, nothing is lost.

• Informative
Reactions: QtownTaxiGreg
No,

SSId = Service Set identifier. In other words your Wifi network name.

No sure what "hiccup" you are referring to.
Some other thread the 'charger' didn't want to know about the phone app or vice versa, so everything stalled.

They had wifi which is how mine should function. Trying to get it clear in my own mind how to proceed.

I thought you had to scan the charger to phone app? I never scanned any QR before so not too sure at all on that.

Power on to WD.

Phone says hi to WD over its it's own wifi so I must get its wifi access code into my phone somehow?

Then you give it the wifi password of house. Done.

Car then talks to internet over my wifi through the WD?

That's bluetooth right?
The phone communicates with car via several concurrent methods:
1) Bluetooth for unlocking car (via a subset of bluetooth called bluetooth low energy) and a few other functions.
2) Ultrawideband - a higher databandwidth version of bluetooth if you like for some bluetooth functions
3) mobile data connection with car (which has a SIM card) relayed via the Tesla servers.
4) NFC chip in non Apple phones is also used in place of keycard

Last edited:
That's bluetooth right? And you do that to pick up the car which has its own internet connection?
Yes, that's bluetooth and is used to unlock/lock the doors, open/close the boot, drive the car, open/unlock/close the charging port and I think now it can also control charging rate, stop charging and control the climate control. These operations that work directly over bluetooth will work even if the car and/or phone don't have an internet connection at the time (eg. in a deep underground car park).

Note that the key operations don't just require the bluetooth to be connected, they also require the phone to be in close proximity to the car.