Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Elon thinking of REHIRING some of the fired SuperCharging folks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've come here from innocent cat video land. Apparently, it's not the same here and they won't take me back. :(

“I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get into arguments with strangers.”

― Ian Leslie, Curious: The Desire to Know and Why Your Future Depends On It

Last edited:
Because those are the best people for the job? The ones who are the most desperate and/or loyal?
I understand that this sounds like a stretch, but the best thing to ever happen in my life was to be laid off from my previous career. I was complacent. It was the devil I knew. I could do the job well but I wasn't happy and I wasn't motivated to go above or beyond for the job. It gave me the opportunity to pursue my current dream career. A shake up like this thins the ranks of complacent people and potentially gives wider opportunities for the "true believer" types. I'm not saying this was some altruistic move. But there are a lot of potential positives. We're hearing a lot about lay offs, not a lot about severance packages and the opportunities it might allow. Just a thought.

Because those are the best people for the job?
No, I didn't say, mean or imply that. Merely that it may be Elon's way of thinking and doing things. He has admitted a couple of years ago, on live TV, that he's "on the spectrum", specifically, Asperger's. That could explain why he did what he did. Or maybe not. I'm no psychologist.

The ones who are the most desperate and/or loyal?
On the contrary, probably some of the "best" people have decided to move on to another company given what they just experienced. And other people outside of Tesla may now be thinking that there could be a position open that they could occupy. Whether or not these are the "best people", only time will tell.

On the contrary, probably some of the "best" people have decided to move on to another company given what they just experienced. And other people outside of Tesla may now be thinking that there could be a position open that they could occupy. Whether or not these are the "best people", only time will tell.
So then when you said “maybe this was Elon’s plan all along” you are saying his plan all along was to intentionally not get the best people working for him? Doesn’t sound like a very good plan to me. But you don’t need to convince me…I’m the guy who told Tesla’s recruiter there was no way in hell I’d work for Elon.

So then when you said “maybe this was Elon’s plan all along” you are saying his plan all along was to intentionally not get the best people working for him? Doesn’t sound like a very good plan to me. But you don’t need to convince me…I’m the guy who told Tesla’s recruiter there was no way in hell I’d work for Elon.
What does "best" people mean? Best is contextual, and in the tech world, the contexts change all the time. Is the best the fastest? Is it the one with the most connections? Is it the most flexible and cross-trainable? The best at site acquisition? Who gives a crap you have the Best farrier in the entire world if you're moving away from horse-drawn carriages. It's probably no coincidence that by the time you're building your 50th supercharger site in the state, it's routine and Tesla is an AI company. 2+2 = ??? Makes perfect sense to let go of those "best" people and hire back people who are willing to work under the new AI environment for example. I'm 100% with Sandy Munro. Everyone is looking at this from a feelings standpoint and not business. People don't have the foresight to see the forest instead of looking at the tree immediately in front of them.

BTW, stop looking for Tesla to solve all your problems. There are a dozen DCFC companies out there and more coming. Just because Tesla doesn't make DCFC ubiquitous at every major offramp doesn't mean it won't get done.

I believe that Elon took a hard look at their Supercharger crew and decided they were moving in the wrong direction. Felt it would be better for the company to start over, with a clean sheet. In other cases he has moved people around, fired the poor performing or replaced key staff.
Why does everyone second guess every thing he says and does in a negative light.

Has he fired and rehired anyone from the Quality Control department?