Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Koni - Special Active (Red - Formerly FSD) and Sports (Yellow) - Coming Soon for Model 3 and Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been reading through this thread today - I have Tein EnduraPro Plus installed on my Model 3 and also have some new thumping/clunking sounds since they got installed that I didn't have with my stock struts. Maybe this is just a Tesla thing with third-party parts? I dunno, just interesting that the Koni's are also exhibiting those sounds like my Tein's.

Been reading through this thread today - I have Tein EnduraPro Plus installed on my Model 3 and also have some new thumping/clunking sounds since they got installed that I didn't have with my stock struts. Maybe this is just a Tesla thing with third-party parts? I dunno, just interesting that the Koni's are also exhibiting those sounds like my Tein's.
From what I read, it is an issue with the top strut mounts (sometimes called top hats). KW Suspension makes a replacement one that is supposed to eliminate this sound.

From what I read, it is an issue with the top strut mounts (sometimes called top hats). KW Suspension makes a replacement one that is supposed to eliminate this sound.
ST Suspension includes replacement top mounts in their ST XA Coilover kits, but it's not available separately.

1715826844627.jpeg

Well, summer tires are now in use and I can get to some conclusion about Koni special active shocks. Patient: Model 3 perf, 2019 with 18" wheels.
I have feel that these Konis got this era perf jittery ride somewhat cured or lessenned (is that a word.. :) ) So ride quality is bit nicer but these shocks take speedbumps stiffer.. ie. they do not absorb bump but kind of act stiffer in that situation. sure it is also how fast rebound occurs but I can only feel whole thing happening.
Another negative is how much stiffer these act in -10..-30C winter temps than original shocks.. not nice, ride quality is horrible in winter.

I dont get it how freaking hard is to do more comfortable shocks? Some even say that stiff perf springs are no issue.. so what gives?
I test drived workpal 21 model 3 LR and it was really more comfortable ride (18" wheels as I also have, so that is not different)
I would be happy with that..
Next step is likely to get Highland shocks and springs (another thread..)

IMG_6351.jpeg

I’ve noticed with two pairs of top hat (strut top mount) from 2023 that the rubber isolator in between the bearing and aluminum lid bend more than previous iterations.

It affects the mounting point when the spring pushes against the top hat and changes the angle.

As for most thump/clunk noises from my experience it’s been from under-torqued 17mm nyloc nut that leaves a gap between the rod and nut so when going over bumps this area bounces around.

Those who have a 90 degree 5mm Hex/Allen wrench can use this to tighten said nyloc nut if they know how to remove the frunk liner:

View attachment 1048418

I’ve noticed with two pairs of top hat (strut top mount) from 2023 that the rubber isolator in between the bearing and aluminum lid bend more than previous iterations.

It affects the mounting point when the spring pushes against the top hat and changes the angle.

As for most thump/clunk noises from my experience it’s been from under-torqued 17mm nyloc nut that leaves a gap between the rod and nut so when going over bumps this area bounces around.

Those who have a 90 degree 5mm Hex/Allen wrench can use this to tighten said nyloc nut if they know how to remove the frunk liner:
I used a 17mm pass through socket ratchet and a 5mm HEX inside. It is not loose.
I know that sound as I’ve had KW V2’s with loose mounts before.

I have the KW top hats on order. I’ll report back whenever I get them on.

Reactions: LightSaber