Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid 19" vs 21" rear inner tire wear question.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's what mine look like on both sides with 285/35s on 20" x 10.5" in the back
PXL_20240502_054120730.jpg

It is not a tyre defect / tyre construction issue.

Some tyres, preferably higher sidewalls (ie smaller rim diameter) might be better to cope with the strain from a faulty wheel alignment, in this case wrong toe) by giving after/flexing so the thread still sits good to the ground.

When we see wear on the shoulder (where the sidewall do not touch ground when we have the car jacked and put it back on ground) it must be because the wheel is forced to deform so that part of thewheel touches/ rubs against the gound. Otherwis it would not wear.

Toe out in combination with high negative camber must be avoided.
An appropriate amount of toe in will force the tyre get slightly press against the center of the car and the slight deformation from this will cause the thread to sit nicely on the ground, not rubbing the inner wall or shoulder.

Reactions: Kohley and bkcyk
Your tire wear experiences are worthless without... alignment specs.
I wouldn't say worthless. If a huge number of owners are having the same experience it helps us to understand that it is not a unique problem due to one person's alignment being off and likely requires aftermarket arms to correct. It also helps to hear things like how much running your suspension in low affects it, etc.

Reactions: TBrownTX
I wouldn't say worthless. If a huge number of owners are having the same experience it helps us to understand that it is not a unique problem due to one person's alignment being off and likely requires aftermarket arms to correct. It also helps to hear things like how much running your suspension in low affects it, etc.

I like to fly with my instrument panel front and center. Data is gold.

Me? -1.1 rear camber, toe within factory spec on low mode. 9-10K miles on T2 PS4S. Barely any wear.

You?

I like to fly with my instrument panel front and center. Data is gold.

Me? -1.1 rear camber, toe within factory spec on low mode. 9-10K miles on T2 PS4S. Barely any wear.

You?
I'll let you know once I have it aligned, but the whole point for me was finding out if I needed to spend the $1,300 on camber + toe arms before paying for an alignment since it would be pointless if they can't get it to a reasonable spec on stock arms (only toe minimally adjustable) and then I have to pay for alignment again after installing aftermarket parts. I was partially hoping maybe just downsizing to 19"s would allow me to skip the aftermarket arms.

I'll let you know once I have it aligned, but the whole point for me was finding out if I needed to spend the $1,300 on camber + toe arms before paying for an alignment since it would be pointless if they can't get it to a reasonable spec on stock arms (only toe minimally adjustable) and then I have to pay for alignment again after installing aftermarket parts. I was partially hoping maybe just downsizing to 19"s would allow me to skip the aftermarket arms.

If 19s were a viable option for my MSP, I would no question just go that route.

Then you must not have a refresh, 2021+, Model S?

For the MS, 2021+, the speed for low ride height cannot be adjusted AFAIK, thus this may not be the best thread to be posting in….

Do please advise.
I have a 2022 Plaid as I mentioned in my post above. In my car you can set the ride to low at all times which I have done.

Here are some pics of my tires when I had them replaced at 30k miles.

IMG_2782.jpeg
IMG_2776.jpeg
IMG_2778.jpeg

Last edited:
Are those the OEM 21" Michelin tires, and were they on a Model S Plaid?
That's crazy for 30K miles. not sure how yours are lasting so long. Are these from your original tire set from the 21" arachnids ?
My PS4S might last 20K if I'm lucky.

Thanks!

No they are 20” wheels with Michelin Pilot A/S 4 tires. If you look above my initial response was to the poster with 20” wheels that have the inner tire wear issue and I just said that I found it interesting since I didn’t have that issue and thought maybe it was the tires.

Comparing tire wear between a 500+ treadwear rating all season tire to max summer perf rubber is being obtuse to the nth degree. Then you're also not going like for like with diameter and width? lmao

PS4S is OEM to Porsche 911 GT3s, M3s, Bugatti Chirons and 2021+ MS. It's a very awesome sticky street tire and with it comes special compounds and stiffer sidewall design to get you amazing grip, feel, etc. For $560 a pop, they'd better be the best.

Get your camber checked and adjusted as necessary. Get your toe in spec. Once dialed in by a competent tech, you will be good to go for tens of thousands of miles on the OEM T2 PS4S. My '23 MSP is living testimony. I have minimal tread wear across the entire section width 10K miles now running ~-1.1-3 rear camber and front/rear toe at .05 to .15. There will always be some level of variability in an air suspension vehicle (personally can't stand air sus, but another topic).

If you don't want to go thru the alignment hustle, then have a coke and a smile and enjoy your soccer mom basic rubber like some of y'all are doing. But don't conflate the two. There's nothing wrong with the T2s. There's everything wrong with Tesla engineers choosing to release a vehicle with such a broad rear camber spec range sans adjustability from factory. Try running -2.5 to -3.5 on any vehicle. Tires will get p p pulverized.

Last edited:
Reactions: amukaoen
Comparing tire wear between a 500+ treadwear rating all season tire to max summer perf rubber is being obtuse to the nth degree. Then you're also not going like for like with diameter and width? lmao

PS4S is OEM to Porsche 911 GT3s, M3s, Bugatti Chirons and 2021+ MS. It's a very awesome sticky street tire and with it comes special compounds and stiffer sidewall design to get you amazing grip, feel, etc. For $560 a pop, they'd better be the best.

Get your camber checked and adjusted as necessary. Get your toe in spec. Once dialed in by a competent tech, you will be good to go for tens of thousands of miles on the OEM T2 PS4S. My '23 MSP is living testimony. I have minimal tread wear across the entire section width 10K miles now running ~-1.1-3 rear camber and front/rear toe at .05 to .15. There will always be some level of variability in an air suspension vehicle (personally can't stand air sus, but another topic).

If you don't want to go thru the alignment hustle, then have a coke and a smile and enjoy your soccer mom basic rubber like some of y'all are doing. But don't conflate the two. There's nothing wrong with the T2s. There's everything wrong with Tesla engineers choosing to release a vehicle with such a broad rear camber spec range sans adjustability from factory. Try running -2.5 to -3.5 on any vehicle. Tires will get p p pulverized.
As I mentioned above, I just said it was interesting, sorry for getting you so worked up LOL. I guess I’ll have my coke and I will smile while you keep bitching about inner tire wear on a non-track car while I’ll enjoy getting 30k miles out of my tires and laugh at you complaining about having to buy tires every 10k miles. Have a nice day LOL.

As I mentioned above, I just said it was interesting, sorry for getting you so worked up LOL. I guess I’ll have my coke and I will smile while you keep bitching about inner tire wear on a non-track car while I’ll enjoy getting 30k miles out of my tires and laugh at you complaining about having to buy tires every 10k miles. Have a nice day LOL.
You sure that coke ain't got any Jack in it because clearly reading comprehension is a challenge for ya atm.

Enjoy your all seasons. lmao

Reactions: amukaoen