Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Performance Chassis on P3D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a sticker on my Performance Model 3 on all doors that looks like the one pictured. Anyone know why it states "PC30 - No Performance Chassis"?

Can anyone with a P3D check on their door (inside next to the upper hinge) if they have the same?

Attachments

• IMG_20180913_105200.jpg
    IMG_20180913_105200.jpg
    434.3 KB · Views: 538
Huh thought I've seen one other photo of a sticker that said P31 - Performance Chassis. I'll have to check mine tonight. Do you have the Performance Upgrade Package?

EDIT: I see it refers to 18" wheels; maybe the P30/P31 difference is the performance upgrade. I wonder what the difference is.

Huh thought I've seen one other photo of a sticker that said P31 - Performance Chassis. I'll have to check mine tonight. Do you have the Performance Upgrade Package?

EDIT: I see it refers to 18" wheels; maybe the P30/P31 difference is the performance upgrade. I wonder what the difference is.
I have the performance model but not the $5000 performance upgrade. I would be curious what others have on that sticker for both P3D+ and P3D-.

There is a sticker on my Performance Model 3 on all doors that looks like the one pictured. Anyone know why it states "PC30 - No Performance Chassis"?

Can anyone with a P3D check on their door (inside next to the upper hinge) if they have the same?

AFAIK the Performance and the AWD version are exactly the same other than the Performance version having motors that pass more strenuous testing and the software unlock for faster acceleration.

The $5K option on top of that gives 1cm lower ride height (so lowered springs), 20" wheels, brakes and carbon spoiler.

AFAIK the Performance and the AWD version are exactly the same other than the Performance version having motors that pass more strenuous testing and the software unlock for faster acceleration.

The $5K option on top of that gives 1cm lower ride height (so lowered springs), 20" wheels, brakes and carbon spoiler.

List here from the order page. More bling but not enough juice for the price. :(

upload_2018-9-13_13-16-33.png

Just checked my P3D+. Sticker stated “pc31 performance chassis”

Now that I think about it, I think someone mentioned somewhere that the 20” wheels needed an additional part change. Control arms maybe? If so it could be Tesla’s code to include those on the P3D+, while the P3D- gets the regular parts.

List here from the order page. More bling but not enough juice for the price. :(

I actually think it's more or less in line with what other manufacturers charge for those kind of upgrades. BMW would charge about $1200 for the wheels, $500 for the spoiler, $1000 for the brakes and maybe $1000 for the suspension tweaks so Tesla is really not that far off.

Most critically I failed to mention that only the P+ version gets the track mode which is kind of critical for anyone who wants to be able to get the car mostly sideways and have some real fun (responsibly of course). Not sure how to put a price tag on that piece.

I didn't order P version because very hard for me to justify the (at the time) $10K difference going from AWD... if I did though go to P I would not hesitate to get the P+.

I actually think it's more or less in line with what other manufacturers charge for those kind of upgrades. BMW would charge about $1200 for the wheels, $500 for the spoiler, $1000 for the brakes and maybe $1000 for the suspension tweaks so Tesla is really not that far off.

Most critically I failed to mention that only the P+ version gets the track mode which is kind of critical for anyone who wants to be able to get the care mostly sideways and have some real fun (responsibly of course). Not sure how to put a price tag on that piece.

I didn't order P version because very hard for me to justify the (at the time) $10K difference going from AWD... if I did though go to P I would not hesitate to get the P+.

I found the P+ to be liability in my case. Summer tires won't let me take this to the mountains in winter. Tremendous range hit as well.
I will go back down to 18 inch wheels/tires at some point for lighter weight, cheaper maintenance, all season. Tesla's 18 inch Aero or winter set won't fit over the brake package. :(

Forgot when you ordered but I thought it was an 11K difference? AWD was $4,000 early on before $5,000 and now $6,000.

Tesla announced track mode exclusive to 3P+, there was an outrage and now they plan to offer a upgrade kit from 3P-. No pricing announced but it really should be $10K or more which is really expensive. Rational is as follows:

* 3P+ owners paid $5,000
* 3P- owners get an extra Aero set where the 3P+ owners got only one set of wheels and tires. That's $2K from the store.
* Tesla has to incur substantial service time to bring 3P- up to 3P+.

TLDR is I don't think anyone is happy whether they are P- or P+ at the wheel/tire setup. :)

@Jedi2155 knows my pain and suffering hah

Reactions: dhrivnak
Let stay on topic. Why would P3D- not have a performance chassis and the P3D+ have one.
chassis as defined: "the base frame of a motor vehicle or other wheeled conveyance"

Did I just get a weaker frame or maybe I didn't get a performance model even though I paid for it.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
Let stay on topic. Why would P3D- not have a performance chassis and the P3D+ have one.
chassis as defined: "the base frame of a motor vehicle or other wheeled conveyance"

Did I just get a weaker frame or maybe I didn't get a performance model even though I paid for it.

Maybe Tesla's definition of chassis is more akin to a "rolling chassis"? And since the rolling chassis between the P3D- and P3D+ is different (brakes/suspension), with this definition, it would make sense that the P3D- has a P30 code, and not the P31.

If we could get a P3D- owner to pull a wheel or two off, and get us some pictures and measurements of the suspension components, then we could see the differences between the two chassis.

Just checked my P3D+. Sticker stated “pc31 performance chassis”

Now that I think about it, I think someone mentioned somewhere that the 20” wheels needed an additional part change. Control arms maybe? If so it could be Tesla’s code to include those on the P3D+, while the P3D- gets the regular parts.

Yup- until I see evidence otherwise that's my notion of why there's any height difference too.

I've yet to see any evidence the P3D+ has different springs. The height difference might well be just the arms... (it'd be weird they'd go through the cost and trouble of another set of springs (and change the shocks to match the new springs too) and then only make them a 0.39" drop)

Maybe Tesla's definition of chassis is more akin to a "rolling chassis"? And since the rolling chassis between the P3D- and P3D+ is different (brakes/suspension), with this definition, it would make sense that the P3D- has a P30 code, and not the P31.

If we could get a P3D- owner to pull a wheel or two off, and get us some pictures and measurements of the suspension components, then we could see the differences between the two chassis.

Yeah- brakes and control arms are different on the P3D+

There's been a video already from under a P3D-

Same shocks and springs as the RWD (and presumably AWD non-P) model 3.

The stabilizer bars were different from RWD- but we're not sure yet if that's true of all dual motor cars (which would make some sense) or if it's specific to the P... nor exactly how they're different.

There's a member on here who definitely had the wrong rear springs installed on his P3D+, and it caused his car to sit roughly 3/8" higher than it should have. This coincides with the 10mm (.39") difference between the P3D+ and P3D-, and should prove that it's not the control arm causing the height difference (besides the obvious reason that 1 control arm wouldn't cause a 10mm height difference).
PN on his car: (P) 1044472-94-A (S)MBD182281716320
PN on my car: (P) 1044472-04-A (S)MBD171720000010

Do we know that the shocks are the same PNs across the four variants of the Model 3?

There's a member on here who definitely had the wrong rear springs installed on his P3D+, and it caused his car to sit roughly 3/8" higher than it should have. This coincides with the 10mm (.39") difference between the P3D+ and P3D-, and should prove that it's not the control arm causing the height difference (besides the obvious reason that 1 control arm wouldn't cause a 10mm height difference).

Do we know that the shocks are the same PNs across the four variants of the Model 3?

Don;t see how the strut part numbers could be the same on the front between dual motor and RWD cars as the entire strut is physically different in dual motor cars. I suspect the dampening rates are different as well...if for no other reason that to compensate for the added weight. I was pleasantly surprised at the ride quality of the Model 3 P3D+ I test drove for 45 minutes (purposely hitting bumps as I knew the area).

Don;t see how the strut part numbers could be the same on the front between dual motor and RWD cars as the entire strut is physically different in dual motor cars. I suspect the dampening rates are different as well...if for no other reason that to compensate for the added weight. I was pleasantly surprised at the ride quality of the Model 3 P3D+ I test drove for 45 minutes (purposely hitting bumps as I knew the area).

Right, there's definitely no way they are the same as the RWD. I misspoke and should have said the 3 AWD variants.

Yep. The ride quality is quite nice considering the 20s, and the shorter springs.

Reactions: Shizzrock

Not sure how that's "obvious"

MM Heavy Duty control arms

Those are adjustable control arms for a Mustang that can let you change the rear height by up to 3 full inches. 0.39" is a trivial change for arms.

They aren't even the same PN across the same model- there's been multiple revisions on just the RWD that we know of...

For example-
NEW Tesla M3 Model 3 Damper Coil Spring 1044472-01-C | eBay

There's spring for a model 3 with PN 1044472-01-C (S)MBD172561838560

so it's hard to say what exactly the different PNs mean in your example.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike

That's Ingineerix, who supposedly knows a bit about Teslas, under a P3D.

Jump to 1:32, he cites the springs as being the same part as on his RWD, front and back
He doesn't actually say same PN for the shocks, but he says the suspension is identical other than the stabilizer bars

The main reason I remain dubious about "shorter" springs in the P3D+ is if Tesla actually developed and tested and move to MFG with an entirely different PN, with all the cost, and complexity for MFG, supply chain, and spare parts that entails... and then only dropped the car 0.39", that seems incredibly stupid.

Whereas if the drop is just from the arms, that was an off-the-shelf part they already had, and is required for the 20s anyway, and has the bonus of letting them nebulously put "lowered suspension" on the 5k package as a marketing gimmick.

So I'd rather think they're being sneaky in advertising than stupid in engineering.

Reactions: Jedi2155
They aren't even the same PN across the same model- there's been multiple revisions on just the RWD that we know of...

For example-
NEW Tesla M3 Model 3 Damper Coil Spring 1044472-01-C | eBay

There's spring for a model 3 with PN 1044472-01-C (S)MBD172561838560

so it's hard to say what exactly the different PNs mean in your example.

Form what I have seen on the RWD cars the part number didn't change, but the revision letter on the end did.