Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Rotation Pattern?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2023 Model Y (Long Range) with the 19inch Gemini Wheels. Specifically, I have tbe Pirelli Scorpion MS tires.

I have 6,250 miles on it and went to rotate the tires today.

I lifted from the back lift point and was able to raise the entire side of the vehicle and rotated the front to back and back to front. I repeated it with the other side as well. Just like this…

IMG_5798.jpeg

After reading the manual online, I’m wondering if I was supposed to do the cross pattern? Can anyone confirm?

And is it bad that I lifted the entire side of the vehicle using the one back jack point?

Tire rotation depends on tire sizes, design (symmetry or directionality), and more importantly the observed wear on the tire.

If your jack has enough capacity and you can lift it enough to raise both tires. They dont need much clearance, anyway.

Front to back is sufficient, and how Tesla mobile service does it on vehicles with the same size tires on all 4 corners.

Jacking at the rear jack point is preferred, and again how Tesla mobile service does it, because the the weight distribution for the Model Y is 45% front / 55% rear.

Jack wherever is safe, it does not matter.

I completely X’ed my tires, it’s all wheel drive. No issues.

Not what Tesla says to do. Who knows more about tires, Tesla or Michelin?

View attachment 1048605

Good example of bad practice due to appeal to authority.

The recommendation for rotation has not to do with whether Tesla or Michelin made the recommendation, or whether the car is all-wheel drive.

Tesla wrote that for "Directional Tires", they should not be swapped left<-->right. When you swap it that way, you reverse the rotation direction of the tires.
Tesla is correct. And if you asked Michelin whether their directional tires should be pointed in reverse, they would also agree with Tesla.

Tesla wrote that for "Directional Tires", they should not be swapped left<-->right. When you swap it that way, you reverse the rotation direction of the tires.
Tesla is correct. And if you asked Michelin whether their directional tires should be pointed in reverse, they would also agree with Tesla.
That true if you have directional tires…

Directional tires have arrows on the sidewall indicating direction of rotation. Does anyone have directional OEM tires?

IMG_3169.jpeg