Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Model S/X LHD Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bjorn wetting himself again. This time cruising at 120MPH (on German autobahn). In practice traffic got in his way, but he rarely fell below 90MPH. He was interested in battery temperature and consumption. Although he pressed on, after a slow car pulled over, he was trying to only use 50% throttle

He did a similar test in his original M3P (and, from memory, in his MX) and makes a comparison between them.

Its a 1 hour video - no edits I think, and he jabbers to the camera the whole time ... in his inimitable style. Results start 54 minutes in:

Summary: battery temperature was not an issue (i.e. for a steady 120 MPH cruise, rather than track-style repeatedly flooring it)

Charged at Tesla supercharger (dunno if it would charge faster on V4 / Ionity et al) ramped up to 250kW

If my conversion maths is correct that was 660 wH/mile, 140 mile range
That converts to about 50 MPGe. I’ve done Gumball events in my Mclaren (which has a top speed well over 200 mph) running over 150 in long sections getting 10-15 mpg and certainly less than 250 miles before filling up. This is despite its carbon fibre tubbed low 1350 kg weight and nominally 20 gallon tank.

I've crossed that off my Santa Claus list then :)
😂 Keep in mind its heavy use of aero is the opposite of an EV. It doesn't slip through the air, but deliberately modifies the airflow for downforce - at 150 mph it hunkers down and sticks like glue. A Tesla would be the opposite - it’s smooth airflow over the body would tend to make it want to lift off - good thing we have those heavy batteries;)

When I was a little a neighbour had a Ferrari 365 GT4. On a good day it would do about 12 mpg but a lot less if you drove fast. While I don't know where this was as I was only about 6 or 7, I do remember being told about the time he drove it pretty much as fast as it would go, it used half a tank of petrol (about 13 gallons) to travel about 12 miles. Makes the McLaren look really economical!

Thanks, @FastLaneJB.

Indeed, like @gangzoom, all this has led to a rediscovered appreciation for my current car. All I now feel I will miss with the Plaid is the theoretical/rarely used acceleration at extra-legal speeds. I will just have to stick to accelerating to speed limits. 😇
Not morph this into a “I’m-glad-no-Plaid” thread, but just reading all these reports about Auto wipers and high beams on AP in addition to the mechanical half shaft woes……I’m glad I have the stalks and direct control

Reactions: Leytonstone
My loaner has at least revealed why I see so many 3 drivers not indicating their exit at roundabouts 😄

Like the Model S the 3 is a curate's egg. But for me, all the weird "Musk stuff" has now tipped the scales to outweigh all the really good stuff. And at just gone 20K miles the front suspension squeaks like an old bedframe and there's a rattle behind the dash that sounds like two skeletons making out in a biscuit barrel.

Driving a Tesla without the Premium Connectivity package has also made me understand what a swizz it is. The SC wouldn't add PC for my time with the car (despite it likely being several weeks, and despite my car with an active PC subscription being laid up) so I thought, fair enough, I'll just use a wireless hotspot on the phone.

But surprise, you can't get traffic data over wi-fi and thus have to spend £120/year on PC for navigation, something that's going to be an ass in the coming weeks when I'm on holiday. This sort of nonsense really grates.

But surprise, you can't get traffic data over wi-fi and thus have to spend £120/year on PC for navigation, something that's going to be an ass in the coming weeks when I'm on holiday. This sort of nonsense really grates.

I understand that the nav still uses traffic data in your routing and rerouting ... it just doesn't highlight the hold ups on the map unless on Premium Connectivity.

Reactions: MrT3
I'll do proper write in my longterm ownership thread, but 2000mile+ of driving across some do the most amazing roads in Europe, amazing scenery, amazing culture, amazing food.

All done with ZERO issues in our small battery, 'legacy' X with nearly 70k miles on the battery.

I'm as guilty as anyone else in getting sucked into the the relentless pursuit of the next step, but something it's good to appreciate what we have and extraordinary that is today.

Touring with 6 people+luggage around Europe in comfort and style, passing through the highest mountain roads Italy/Switzerland can offer? Just a decade ago such a trip would have been impossible, but to be able to do it now so easily even in a car manfactured in 2016, honestly I'm 'done' with cars.

Our legacy X delivers everything I want/need in a family car, its going nowhere. All things come to an end at somepoint, but I'll let the inevitability of time bring things to a conclusion in due course. For now it's a matter of where next? :).

53077466027_7e604fcee3_c_d.jpg

53077465772_ba752ebd8b_c_d.jpg

I've just put a deposit on an Eletre R today, I drove a S last weekend and was blown away. I also tried a BMW iX M60 which just isn't in the same league to be honest despite being in the same price range. It's not as quick as a Model S Plaid of course, nor as efficient or has the great Supercharger network but otherwise feels like a better car in all other ways. Highly recommend you pop out and get a test drive of one, just don't blame me if you then end up also ordering one :)

I thought about waiting for a Model 3 Ludicrous and would have saved a lot of money but don't see the point in having 2 x Model 3's. It also means we'll have 2 EV's so might suffer on longer trips but as they are rare, I'm just going to work it out and suck it up.

I've just put a deposit on an Eletre R today, I drove a S last weekend and was blown away. I also tried a BMW iX M60 which just isn't in the same league to be honest despite being in the same price range. It's not as quick as a Model S Plaid of course, nor as efficient or has the great Supercharger network but otherwise feels like a better car in all other ways. Highly recommend you pop out and get a test drive of one, just don't blame me if you then end up also ordering one :)

I thought about waiting for a Model 3 Ludicrous and would have saved a lot of money but don't see the point in having 2 x Model 3's. It also means we'll have 2 EV's so might suffer on longer trips but as they are rare, I'm just going to work it out and suck it up.
They are v. nice. I put my deposit down in April. Order locked last month. Not sure when precisely it's due. The comms is a tad random.

They are v. nice. I put my deposit down in April. Order locked last month. Not sure when precisely it's due. The comms is a tad random.
Yes I’ve seen people talking about that in an Eletre Facebook group but from what I can see they are flowing pretty quickly. The nice chap in Colchester suggested it would be next summer, Lotus called me last week and suggested more like late Q1. Either way I’m fine with it but not a crazy long delay.

You had a test drive yet?

I presume LHD put you off - or was there anything else?
Sorry I wasn’t clear enough. I have driven the Model S Plaid a month+ ago and yes the LHD is a deal breaker. I cancelled my pre-order of that.

When I said I drove the S I meant the Eletre S so the just over 600hp edition. It’s still pretty quick to be fair, more than enough speed for the road. Based on that I ordered the R with 905hp 😂