Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

False claims - bear on Chinese forum making claims about TMC members' portfolios

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bonnie

I play a nice person on twitter.
Feb 6, 2011
Columbia River Gorge
Some days are just funnier than others. It's come to my attention that a forum member has been posting on a Chinese forum claiming that I've been trading on inside information. And not only that, that I've shared that information with some of you (NigelM, fluxcap, AlMc, wk057, daveT, TSLAopt, sub, causian) and caused you to either sell or reduce your core positions in TSLA.

This may be a surprise to some of you, since of that list, I know there are some I've never had a private exchange with. Not once. But no matter. And for the record, I do not have inside information that I use for trading.

Obviously this person is using this story to bolster their bear position. Personally I find it sad that they'd make up stories to try to prove they are right. (Of course I also understand that they've said I was a liar if I said this wasn't true. No arguing that logic!) And I also find it interesting that someone would be so 'in the know' that they'd not only know about my financial portfolio, but all these other people, too.

Anyway, only posting this so 1) if someone here is being told this crock of bs, they will understand it for what it is, and 2) if someone here is arguing with that person, they can point to this thread.

Of course if that person would care to speak up and talk to me directly, I'd welcome that. Mostly because it would be interesting to see who it is.

--------------------------
Update 3/9: At this point, I think this whole thing is a result of squabbling over on another forum in China as to who is right and who isn't (not like that ever happens here). As I told a fellow forum member this morning, I don't really care at this point who or why, not worth getting to the bottom of it. Insider trading, private circle, influencing -- I don't know how true all of that is or isn't. It just doesn't matter.

But I would like to just make sure a few facts are straight, so that there isn't any question by people who don't know me:

• [*=1]I've never made a trade based on any information from someone at Tesla.
    [*=1]Basing trading strategy on what it's perceived that I will or won't do is not a good thing to do. Clearly trying to buy in at the bottom failed me this last round :), because I used up all the dry powder before we got to bottom. Ah well. I'm in it for the long game, so doesn't matter. Right? RIGHT??

[*=1]While I have some good friends at Tesla, I'll never know if they're tight-lipped on this stuff or not. Because I purposely don't ask. If I do ask a question that would give me material info, it's quickly followed by, 'No!, don't answer that, I don't want to know.' That's how you stay trusted - if there is a leak, they'll never wonder if it was me. Because they know I've never tried to get information out of them. Ever.

[*=1]No one outside my financial advisor knows my portfolio. And a lot of times his response is to clutch his head and say, 'Oh god'. :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-03-08 at 4.08.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-08 at 4.08.46 PM.png
    141.9 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
Well I hear we (people listed above) all belong to some private group that he (the bear) is in, too, so that's why he knows this information. Since the existence of the group is made up, there's no reason you can't claim to be in it, too.

Well I hear we (people listed above) all belong to some private group that he (the bear) is in, too, so that's why he knows this information. Since the existence of the group is made up, there's no reason you can't claim to be in it, too.
I tried to get in the group....but the hazing - can't talk about it yet. Too soon.

LOL. It's extra funny that wk057 is in that list.

The jig is up. All those on the list, including Bonnie, are me. I have a split personality....Oh, and I am Elon Musk as well. Well, since I have told you all that: The model3 is under production now in my basement and it will have 'safe driver mode' and 'folding second row seats'.

This is the most interesting thread here, subscribing

SEC investigation into usual suspects is pending

I am not so sure that outsiders (employed by a non Tesla employer with no business links to Tesla) are bound by insider trading regulations, hopefully some lawyers will chime in and clarify the legaleze

InsideTrading.JPG

The most interesting bit for me is, who tipped off Bonnie about this Chinese forum claim?

I did. Because if the claims were true, I don't think it's fair to Bonnie (whom I respect a lot for her actions for TM) for someone "inside her circle" to post her positions on a semi-public forum. If the claims were not true, then they are downright scandlizing her and others on this list. Either way I don't think Bonnie deserves this. So I tipped her off. If it makes me a snitch, so be it.

I am not so sure that outsiders (employed by a non Tesla employer with no business links to Tesla) are bound by insider trading regulations, hopefully some lawyers will chime in and clarify the legaleze

View attachment 114293

The most interesting bit for me is, who tipped off Bonnie about this Chinese forum claim?

View attachment 114293

IF I'd been dabbling in a bit of insider trading, I wouldn't have started this thread. But since I'm not (def not), the SEC rules aren't applicable. Because they don't have a section to cover non-employees who aren't trading based on nonpublic information. Not that I see, anyway. :)

As for who tipped me off ... why do you think I'm not participating in that forum under another name?

- - - Updated - - -

I did. Because if the claims were true, I don't think it's fair to Bonnie (whom I respect a lot for her actions for TM) for someone "inside her circle" to post her positions on a semi-public forum. If the claims were not true, then they are downright scandlizing her and others on this list. Either way I don't think Bonnie deserves this. So I tipped her off. If it makes me a snitch, so be it.

Ahh, you outed yourself.

To clarify, the person we're talking about is NOT 'inside my circle' -- I'm sure of this since I don't have a circle. The only person who knows my positions in different stocks is my financial advisor. One forum member (NigelM) knows about my investment in a startup technology company, because he and I were angel investors on that. But that's all he knows about. I don't discuss my finances with people on an internet forum. (Sorry, guys, love you all ... but y'know. Not that much.)

In any case, I truly appreciate you giving me a heads up. That's not snitching. It's calling out a liar for what they are. Many thanks.