Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 MYP 800 miles bad computer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you provide more context? What do you mean by “bad computer”? MCU?
Error messages? Items from the Repair Invoice?

Asking because if you want coherent answers, help files are needed. At least you don’t need a new HV battery pack 😜
Or DU. And you may have fallen into the small statistical group of early failures… of something 😁

Common? No. Bummer on your new car experience? Definitely. Worst thing that could have happened in the grand scheme of things? Not even close.

If there is a manufacturing defect with an electronic component, they tend to fail quickly, as you experienced. The service tech will swap it out and you'll be back to where you were the day it rolled off the assembly line. These cars are highly modular.

When I first got my car I had a defect in the roof glass. They had to replace the whole piece. I worried for weeks if the roof would develop a leak. I wouldn't lose 1 second of sleep over them swapping out a circuit board. (And 2 years later, my roof still has no leaks.)

Sorry I was so vague, all I was told is the computer has to be replaced and it’s in the shop now. My symptoms was a blank screen every so often. The car would still work but the screen was blank.

Common? Not really. Unheard of? Also not really. For Electronics (all of them) there is some small percentage that suffer from "early mortality" (avoiding using the more common term for this), which basically means that there is a small percentage of electronics fail very early in their lifespan.

So, electronics typically either fail very early, or (statistically) last a really long time and then fail really late (I am generalizing here but this works as a basic explanation). So needing a brand new computer in 800 miles, there is some small percentage of people who have stuff like that happen. The computer is fairly easy for Tesla to replace, so it should be fine afterwards.

Sucks to hit the "reverse lotto" so to speak but it should be fine after.

Last edited: