Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3G connectivity issues since V6.xxx

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently testing 2.5.36 (which I received this morning) with Energy Savings = ON, Always connected unchecked. May I remind people here that the widespread problem is with these settings (although Always connected checked with Energy Savings ON also seems to have problems)

I have had the occasional drop with Energy Savings =On with 2.5.36. (Although it did not seem quite as bad as earlier releases). I am going back to Energy Saving =off and always connected checked until further fix is issued.

Losing 10 miles (15km ) per day with energy savings off
Somewhat risky but left my car unplugged with while away for 10 days.
Don't suppose there's any way to active power save remotely

I was under the impression that this is not constant i.e. it will taper off if/when you get closer to 50% SOC. Am curious to know if this is true. Can you let us know if the range loss is the same for each day you are away?

I was under the impression that this is not constant i.e. it will taper off if/when you get closer to 50% SOC. Am curious to know if this is true. Can you let us know if the range loss is the same for each day you are away?
You may be correct. Rated range dropped 55km in 5 days (250km to 196km) The first day was 15km. I'll check again tomorrow at this time and see what happens in the next 24 hrs

Version 7: I lost 3G while driving, so the power saving and always connected settings would not have had any bearing on the problem... in my case, I got into an area where the coverage dropped out. When I should have had it come back to life, nothing happened. I finished my trip and put the car to bed for the night and the connection was still absent the next afternoon. A reboot eventually brought it back.

On a somewhat related note, I've noticed that the car doesn't seem to want to use my home wifi any longer. I can scan for it, see plenty of signal strength indicated, but connecting doesn't show anything new on the top edge of the screen. The wifi settings spin for a while before telling me it's connected to my access point, but there is no other indication to confirm this is the case. Strange.

On a somewhat related note, I've noticed that the car doesn't seem to want to use my home wifi any longer. I can scan for it, see plenty of signal strength indicated, but connecting doesn't show anything new on the top edge of the screen. The wifi settings spin for a while before telling me it's connected to my access point, but there is no other indication to confirm this is the case. Strange.

My only observation with WiFi is that my car does see it and connect, but the meter shows a very weak signal. My other devices (phone, tablet and such) inside the car parked in the same spot are at or near full signal strength. It does seem to work, though.

My only observation with WiFi is that my car does see it and connect, but the meter shows a very weak signal. My other devices (phone, tablet and such) inside the car parked in the same spot are at or near full signal strength. It does seem to work, though.
And you should see the opposite as the car should have a significantly better antenna than your phone.

I don't use the wifi and got the update on day 2....I don't think it gets pushed to you any faster, just that it might DL quicker. Not sure what the point of usiing wifi is while we have data included anyway.

7.0 doesnt prompt me to setup wifi now either, which is nice....was annoying.

I've been driving with energy saving ON and always connected ON since I got V7.0 last week. So far, no issues. Anybody can do the test?

I have been testing these settings as well for the last few days with v.7.0. I have had no major outages but have had a couple times where 3G took 3 minutes or so to connect (so maybe 2 times in 25 trips). Also,a couple times after getting in the car and a few seconds after it seems to be powered up, touching the 17" screen gives no immediate response for maybe 5-10 seconds.

So far I have not had the major issue in 6.x where 3G disappears for 10's of minutes and sometimes needed a reboot.

So, Energy Saving mode doesn't seem too bad and maybe the occasional wake-up latency is the price we have to pay for the car going into a deep sleep.

***sorry I need to clarify that I have been testing it with always connected unchecked! *****

Last edited:
Everyone keep us posted.

But why would Energy Saving being turned on help? I would think it would be the opposite?

- - - Updated - - -

I don't use the wifi and got the update on day 2....I don't think it gets pushed to you any faster, just that it might DL quicker. Not sure what the point of usiing wifi is while we have data included anyway.
Presumably it is cheaper for Tesla as it would reduce the amount of data going through Rogers' network. Arguably that makes it more likely that they will continue to provide the data free of charge.

But why would Energy Saving being turned on help? I would think it would be the opposite?

Many have reported Energy Saving On with Always Connected un-ticked caused the most problems. Energy Savings Off, Always Connected seemed to be the most reliable setting. I think what @Duckjybe is saying is that it now seems to be working better even with Energy Savings On.

Yes, I remember that - I am just saying that it doesn't make sense, at least not to me. Disabling all energy saving should mean better connectivity as it should be less likely to shut down the 3G/LTE radio to save a bit of energy.

Yes, I remember that - I am just saying that it doesn't make sense, at least not to me. Disabling all energy saving should mean better connectivity as it should be less likely to shut down the 3G/LTE radio to save a bit of energy.

You are correct. Sorry let me clarify. When I say Energy savings is working better, I mean better than before in v.6.0. Energy Savings ON with Always Connected unchecked was unusable before. Energy saving off still gives the best startup performance but uses more battery when car is sitting.