Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All weather mats being redesigned

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just checked WeatherTech's web site & the front mats for a 2015 Tesla Models S are not shown; I will call them later to ask about 2016 & see how long their backorder is. If I get them, I may order direct from WT since they won't charge me until they ship. I guess I can live without the Tesla logo & the nearest SC is 240 miles away.

I just checked WeatherTech's web site & the front mats for a 2015 Tesla Models S are not shown; I will call them later to ask about 2016 & see how long their backorder is. If I get them, I may order direct from WT since they won't charge me until they ship. I guess I can live without the Tesla logo & the nearest SC is 240 miles away.
...just understand at least with the former models, Weathertech may have made the Tesla version, but their template was NOT the same according to other people's posts and the mats were not 100% identical. I suggest before you and others are frustrated with Tesla availability, you investigate fully if the Weathertechs have redone their template to better accommodate the multiple MS front seat railing variations, where at least one variation appears to cause their rear mat to bunch up and not lay flat... Again, all that from other posts I've read here on TMC -- I have the former Tesla Mats which I ordered the day I placed my MS order last September, so I had them when my MS arrived home, and they work fine. ;)

Here is the e-mail I just got from WeatherTech:

Good afternoon,
Thank you for your interest with WeatherTech.

The FloorLiners for the 2016 Tesla Model S are currently in development in our studio. We expect to see this item become available in approximately 6-8 weeks. We will keep your information on file and contact you when the parts are available. If you have any further questions, please feel free to let us know.

Here is the e-mail I just got from WeatherTech:

Good afternoon,
Thank you for your interest with WeatherTech.

The FloorLiners for the 2016 Tesla Model S are currently in development in our studio. We expect to see this item become available in approximately 6-8 weeks. We will keep your information on file and contact you when the parts are available. If you have any further questions, please feel free to let us know.

just keep in mind this: when the earlier version were first available (about 1 year after launch of the S), the weather tech version lagged the Tesla version by months. And, many of us that had been bugging Weather Tech since buying our car were getting the same "in development" story for over a year. If/when Tesla has them, buy them! Bird in the hand...

If this is the case, why doesn't WT just say "for now you can only buy them thru Tesla". One hand says they are out of stock, the other says they have not been designed yet and the third hand says they shipped last week. This is my brain :tongue: this is my brain on drugs :p

I'm going back to read the Snippiness thread for a good contact buzz.

If this is the case, why doesn't WT just say "for now you can only buy them thru Tesla". One hand says they are out of stock, the other says they have not been designed yet and the third hand says they shipped last week. This is my brain :tongue: this is my brain on drugs :p

I'm going back to read the Snippiness thread for a good contact buzz.

Tesla mats are not the same as Weathertech. Weathertech made the Tesla mats for Tesla (we don't know who really designed them, or to what degree), but Weathertech also makes their own. Two different things... E.g. If you want the mats to say Tesla, you have to buy the Tesla version, otherwise you get the Weathertech logo and their advertising on your mats.

I have the 'original' weathertech mats - I tried to push the pedal all teh way down (with car off) but don't see how it could get trapped. Can the mats 'come loose' from the anchor and slide?
I've had the acceleration pedal trap behind the upper border of the original weathertech/Tesla floor mat on several occasions while passing, overriding it with the brakes... with an alert telling me that both the brakes and accelerator were depressed. I had trouble slowing the car down until I finally figured it out...at 115 mph in a 60 mph. I know they fixed it by increasing the height but they really should replace the originals before somebody gets killed. It is a serious safety flaw that could result in loss of life and a lawsuit that weathertech and Tesla could not defend because it is so obvious and reproducible

I have the 'original' weathertech mats - I tried to push the pedal all teh way down (with car off) but don't see how it could get trapped. Can the mats 'come loose' from the anchor and slide?
Sure, any mats can come loose if the anchor isn't fully screwed into the underlying carpet, as well as for owners than don't install the anchors and make use of them in the first place.

Got mine a few days ago. Very happy with them all.

IMG_2472.jpg
IMG_2602.jpg
IMG_2604.jpg
IMG_2605.jpg

Question for those of you who have installed the mats...I'm having a bit of a problem with the passenger (right) side mat. At the left side of the mat, where it bends upwards from the floor to the front of the footwell, the mat buckles ever so slightly. Of the people who posted photos so far, it looks like Fcurvetweaker has a touch of that, but realgrippy doesn't. I admit I'm a bit anal-retentive about this, but I can't get that corner to lie flat against the contour of the carpet. It's bugging the heck out of me, but more practically, there's a chance for dirt, etc. to get under the edge of the mat. Is there a trick to this?

(In contrast, my drivers side mat fits perfectly.)

Thanks for any clues.

Byan1232- My service center in Houston knew I wanted the mats and called me when they came in.

bmah - Try pulling them out and re-installing them. The passenger side did have a gap at first, but after I put them back in it went away. I think it depends how you place them on the velcro and the stresses on the mat between the velcro points. You can also sort of tuck them in under the plastic.

Perfect! Did you guys order online or just stop by a service center and picked them up?

Online.

- - - Updated - - -

Question for those of you who have installed the mats...I'm having a bit of a problem with the passenger (right) side mat. At the left side of the mat, where it bends upwards from the floor to the front of the footwell, the mat buckles ever so slightly. Of the people who posted photos so far, it looks like Fcurvetweaker has a touch of that, but realgrippy doesn't. I admit I'm a bit anal-retentive about this, but I can't get that corner to lie flat against the contour of the carpet. It's bugging the heck out of me, but more practically, there's a chance for dirt, etc. to get under the edge of the mat. Is there a trick to this?

(In contrast, my drivers side mat fits perfectly.)

Thanks for any clues.

I have a bit on the outside of the passenger side. I moved that mat around quite a few times to find the better fit.
I was at the SC a few days ago and they mentioned that it will set itself over time.