Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any way of stopping SW update once it's started?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DayTrippin

Supporting Member
Apr 30, 2021
TX
I have a refreshed S with radar and I've been avoiding updating it to the latest version as it will eliminate radar from the stack. Somehow my S automatically (without any intervention from me) started downloading the latest version of SW. It is at 50% downloaded now, is there any way of stopping and canceling it or is too late?

I can disconnect it from WiFi if that will buy me any time. I don't care about any SW updates as much as I want to keep radar. I have had no issues with phantom braking whereas my other Teslas without radar have been fairly good (but not flawless like my S) to absolutely horrid to the point of making TACC and AP pretty much unusable.

I don't understand why it started to update when I didn't initiate it. Nor did it even pop up in the app to give me a chance to cancel.

Downloading it is *not* the same as installing... but it's going to display an interstitial (popup) asking you to install it every time you go to take it out of park and every time you put it in park.

Just get used to hitting the X button on that pop-up. I did it for months before I decided to just install it (had a service scheduled and knew they would install it anyway).

I thought about the reboot part but I didn't want it to some how brick the system. I realize that according to Tesla you MUST do the updates or they may fight you on warranty issues. If it goes in for service, and it isn't on the latest, they'll update it anyway. I am waiting this one out as long as I can.

I've seen how bad phantom braking can be and the closer following distance on AP is a godsend in heavy traffic to keep people from cutting me off during rush hour. I can compare my 3 and S back to back, and there is no comparison between the two, the S is far better. It also reacts a lot smoother to people braking or accelerating in front of me. TeslaVision still isn't on parity with how my S is.

Reactions: Yuki Feng
My 2020 has updated on a trip with no wifi. Critical and Safety software releases will eventually install without wifi. The integration of the vision only FSD Beta with normal software releases was completed last month, so I believe all S are on vision only now, and not using the radar.

I literally kept the last release on my S before they removed radar from the stack. If they consider some the updates that disable the radar as critical and safety then I may have no choice but to update.