Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Lesson At Delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It really depends on what you want out of the orientation experience.

For me, I had obsessed about the car for more than a month, read the whole manual front to back 5 times, watched every youtube video there was to watch... I just wanted to get the car as quickly as possible. My DS breezed through the orientation just as a sit-in thing. The only thing I asked him to go over in usual detail is charging the car (since I had never charged a Tesla before or understood what all the adapters were).

Reactions: Ormond
I asked for a demonstration on auto parking when taking delivery of my new Model S today and the guy said "We can't do that today as it takes your car about three days to learn how tho best leverage its sensors." Yah, right. Somehow suspecting it was a way to limit their liability in their own parking lot and get the appointment over quicker....

I asked for a demonstration on auto parking when taking delivery of my new Model S today and the guy said "We can't do that today as it takes your car about three days to learn how tho best leverage its sensors." Yah, right. Somehow suspecting it was a way to limit their liability in their own parking lot and get the appointment over quicker....

No what he said was actually true. Try auto parking yourself. It may not work for 1-3 days. Some have reported it taking longer than a week.

Reactions: democappy
Autopilot will work on your drive home. My personal suggestion is become familiar with your basic MS operation before assuming too much with new driver assistance features like AP... Just be safe; try AP first in good conditions; and don't let enthusiasm override your remaining in complete control with better judgement while you become accustomed to it.

Auto park has had the need for "self calibration" documented as taking "30 minutes to several days" since the day it first became available OTA, and is documented as such in your Owners Manual on page 80. It's not unreasonable for Tesla to tell you it can't be demonstrated on the day you take delivery. Other threads have plenty of speculation as to what's going on, but most I believe agree it's about multiple sensor calibration taking place in different conditions.

Enjoy that new MS!

• Informative
Reactions: Richg
Thanks! I got to try out the auto-pilot during the orientation and on my way home. The car is awesome! I didn't realize how fun it really would be to drive it, but I can see myself easily getting a speeding ticket. You don't realize how quickly you can get in that thing....and I only have a 60.

I don't know when you're going to take delivery, but feel free to ask them to give you a loaner for a day or two. It's free and you can test everything you need to before you take delivery.

That's what I did last month, just before confirming my reservation.

He wasn't lying. The sensors around the car do take time to calibrate themselves to recognize and activate the Autopark feature. When I drove my car out the first time, it would not recognize any spots either, and didn't do so until maybe 2-3 days in.

Regarding OP's question, I got an email asking what I sought out of the delivery experience, and I recall it asked me whether I needed instruction on using Autopilot too. But I had previously been instructed when I went on a test drive before I ordered my car.