Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Be aware of ICE Bullies

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well,

Now there's this:

Tesla-Supercharger-lock.jpg

https://electrek.co/2019/01/14/tesla-sollution-avoid-gas-cars-icing-superchargers/

This needs to be enhanced with a higher bar and deployed all over. I've seen systems like this before and this has completely eradicated the problem of ICEing. However since this were Type2 AC chargers, what it did not solve was PHEVs hogging fast charge outputs, and BEVs not being plugged in at all.

Another garage started putting little movable blockers onto the charge spots which unfortunately only partially worked, since some ICE drivers just get out and move them away without any qualms or remorse. The world is their oyster. But an automated system is a great thing, provided the construction is resilient against failure or premature rearming.

You are encouraged to catch them in the act and publish their pictures in this thread.

So I am a bit puzzled as usual. What can we accomplish by doing this? The ICE owners could care less if we post their photos here.
This reminds me that sometimes I dream about driving to a gas station and just sit there at the pump while I have lunch. :D

I agree with many on here that making a "big deal" out of this could drive a bigger response by our ICE buddies. That said, I would just call the police. I'm sure they would be more than happy to write the citation up. Eventually, signage will be posted warning ICE vehicles of potential fines if caught parking in a CS. No different than reserved parking for state vehicles, emergency vehicles, handicapped, etc.

Reactions: outdoors
[QUOTE="groovidad, post: 3333503, member: 88394"That said, I would just call the police. I'm sure they would be more than happy to write the citation up. [/QUOTE]
Not sure about other places, but up here they aren't going to give a citation for something like that. Neighbor officer said something to the effect that it was not a city ordinance and he doesn't ticket them and the dispatcher isn't going to send them out for something like this anyway. Maybe other places they can do it.

• Helpful
Reactions: T-Mom
[QUOTE="groovidad, post: 3333503, member: 88394"That said, I would just call the police. I'm sure they would be more than happy to write the citation up.
Not sure about other places, but up here they aren't going to give a citation for something like that. Neighbor officer said something to the effect that it was not a city ordinance and he doesn't ticket them and the dispatcher isn't going to send them out for something like this anyway. Maybe other places they can do it.[/QUOTE]
Here, 5O loves issuing citations! It's just a matter of time before states, counties, cities, townships, yadda, yadda begin enforcing CS etiquette. Hell, if anything, they are adding money to the local coffers. IF fines were assessed at $250 per violation, a few would pay dearly but, in the end, most will stop with the nonsense.

• Helpful
Reactions: KrenGrl and T-Mom
Not sure about other places, but up here they aren't going to give a citation for something like that. Neighbor officer said something to the effect that it was not a city ordinance and he doesn't ticket them and the dispatcher isn't going to send them out for something like this anyway. Maybe other places they can do it.
[QUOTE="Here, 5O loves issuing citations! It's just a matter of time before states, counties, cities, townships, yadda, yadda begin enforcing CS etiquette. Hell, if anything, they are adding money to the local coffers. IF fines were assessed at $250 per violation, a few would pay dearly but, in the end, most will stop with the nonsense.[/QUOTE]

Yep, very few states have enacted a law.

Legislation Reference - Reserved Parking for Plug-In Vehicle Charging | PlugInSites

This needs to be enhanced with a higher bar and deployed all over. I've seen systems like this before and this has completely eradicated the problem of ICEing.
One of the main problems with doing so in the US is that most of the locations aren't owned by Tesla. I'm guessing Tesla could negotiate this with the property owner and put them in as permitted, but I know many locations actually allow ICEing on at least some stalls with 30 or 60 minute limits.

I was at the Glenwood Springs Colorado Supercharger a few weeks back and Ledt while charging my car and when I came back 5 cars blocked all the other chargers and it was -10 degree outside . It was late 4 am and I thought if I leave some other tesla owner might be completely ICE'd out freezing to death with a depleted battery pack and unable to push his car. So I sat up , did my tesla Tax rebate and waited until another tesla owner showed in to charge and save the space. Turns out he only needed 20 min, so I waited and again held the space in case anyone else would come as there wasn't any place open at 5am for a hotel. I ended up leaving after the sun came up. It is SO OBVIOIS people should not park there or at least leave a note.

On the other hand , once I was charging at Telluride and I did not park far enough to the left and that allowed another car to block the ability for an EV to charge, so I indirectly once blocked a spot and got a note to that effect.