Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Aftermarket Yoke for 2022

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People are seriously damaging their car and costing themselves thousands in repairs trying to put after market yokes on their 3s and Ys.. and all for what? The reasoning for the yoke on the new X and S is for visibility of the dash screen which the Y and 3 don’t have… and a lot of us X and S owners think the slight dangers and inconveniences the yoke creates aren’t worth the visibility.. what are these 3 and Y people doing?!?

Reactions: Macb00kemdanno
People are seriously damaging their car and costing themselves thousands in repairs trying to put after market yokes on their 3s and Ys.. and all for what? The reasoning for the yoke on the new X and S is for visibility of the dash screen which the Y and 3 don’t have… and a lot of us X and S owners think the slight dangers and inconveniences the yoke creates aren’t worth the visibility.. what are these 3 and Y people doing?!?
There are aftermarket behind the steering wheel screens for model y which mimic the functionality in S & X plus add Apple CarPlay & android auto (both greatly superior infotainment options than Tesla currently since Tesla apps often forget your paused location when switching apps). In this scenario, the yoke wheel would be beneficial.

Reactions: wkramer28451
There are aftermarket behind the steering wheel screens for model y which mimic the functionality in S & X plus add Apple CarPlay & android auto (both greatly superior infotainment options than Tesla currently since Tesla apps often forget your paused location when switching apps). In this scenario, the yoke wheel would be beneficial.
Why not just buy an S or X at this point rather than trying to make your 3 or Y look like an S or X… I even saw a 3 recently that put a p100d badge on lol

I just ordered a yoke and my choice has nothing to do with visibility (although that's a nice bonus).

I have a 2018 MX and I do a lot of road trips (last one was 10k km / 6k miles). It was after this last one that I ordered a yoke, which is simply an issue of comfort for me. 90% of my driving on these road trips is on AP and a steering wheel was simply not designed for this. There is no way to grip the wheel in any angle even close to an ergonomically correct position that doesn't involve some twisting and bending your hand and/or arm in an unnatural angle. For me, the most uncomfortable part of driving all day is that I just can't find a comfortable way to have my hand on the wheel and apply a "slight turning pressure" as required by Tesla (or more precisely, regulatory authorities). So I keep moving my hand or switching hands, and often when I finally find a relatively comfortable position, it doesn't put enough pressure on the wheel so I keep getting warnings to "apply slight turning pressure...". The yoke has a flat part on the bottom which is perfect for resting your hand on without twisting your arm in an unnatural angle (angled inwards or outwards to follow the curve of the wheel), while still giving you a solid grip to move/yank the wheel in either direction instantly if you have to take over from the AP.

I disagree with those who say that the yoke is nothing but a marketing stunt. I'm sure that's a big part of it, but it's also an evolution of the round steering wheel which was never designed to be held passively for hours, without actively pushing and pulling it in different directions. If you have to constantly move the wheel, you don't notice the discomfort of your hand position, since you are constantly "exercising", moving your arms and shoulders all the time anyway. But you will notice your hand getting tired if you just rest it on the steering wheel for hours at a time. Can you comfortably walk for an hour? Sure. Try standing in one place for an hour without moving.

Of course the yoke can be awkward first in situations where you have to do a lot of turning of the wheel, like parking, but I believe that's 20% due to the yoke itself and 80% due to learned habits. Most people get used to it. it's just learning new habits, which many people are really bad at, no matter what area of life we are talking about. I am sure this will remain a debated issue for a while but there is no one universally true answer like "yoke - bad" vs. "yoke - good". For me, it's a life saver (in a first world way) for long road trips, and others will hate it with a passion. Technically, a car could be steered with a joystick or by pushing and pulling arms Star Wars pod racer style, or an infinite number of other ways, but we are used to the steering wheel as "that is how we have always done it" so that's what feels "natural" or "right". It's called a HABIT, and they are known to die hard. Some people like change, some want everything to stay the same and vehemently oppose any change. If they would have learned to drive with a yoke in the first place, they would hate the steering wheel and would demand to get their yoke back.

Reactions: wkramer28451