Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Control: Chemical Warfare Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

YukonZ

Supporting Member
Aug 18, 2022
Seattle
The Chemical Warfare mode seems to do no better than the fan speed at top in normal mode. These days air quality in the pacific northwest is horrible, giving me a chance to test this mode. It turns out it is about the same as the fan speed turned up all the way to 10.

When I read the user's manual it says this mode of operation basically increases the interior pressure to prevent outside air leaking through the gaps around the car. This explains why I didn't see much of an advantage of the Chemical Warfare mode, with the exception of one-push operation.

Would love to hear more insights on this matter.

The Chemical Warfare mode...
I would not trust the vehicle to protect me in the case of Chemical Warfare lol.

The bioweapon defense mode, unless I am missing something, bypasses the regular filter and uses a HEPA filter (in addition to the int/ext pressure you mentioned). The HEPA filter should be better at filtering out smaller particular matter -> 99.9X% for 0.3 um.

I've noticed a difference here and we had a bad week of particulates.

Maybe check that the HEPA filter has been installed?

Looks like it is in the frunk area. There are several Youtube videos that should help you figure out how to access.

Search youtube for something like "tesla model y biodefense hepa filter replacement" and a bunch will pop up.

Good luck.

Reactions: YukonZ
I would not trust the vehicle to protect me in the case of Chemical Warfare lol.

The bioweapon defense mode, unless I am missing something, bypasses the regular filter and uses a HEPA filter (in addition to the int/ext pressure you mentioned). The HEPA filter should be better at filtering out smaller particular matter -> 99.9X% for 0.3 um.

I've noticed a difference here and we had a bad week of particulates.

Maybe check that the HEPA filter has been installed?
I quote the user's manual below.

"If your Model Y is equipped with the medical-grade HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Air) filter, this filter ensures the best quality air inside the cabin whenever the climate control system is on and outside air is entering the cabin (recirculate is off)..."

It sounds like if I have the HEPA it is engaged all the time, not in a parallel bypass path. Of course I need to find out whether I have it or not.

Thanks for your comment!

"If your Model Y is equipped with the medical-grade HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Air) filter, this filter ensures the best quality air inside the cabin whenever the climate control system is on and outside air is entering the cabin (recirculate is off)..."

It sounds like if I have the HEPA it is engaged all the time, not in a parallel bypass path. Of course I need to find out whether I have it or not.

Thanks for your comment!
Interesting; I do know there is the "biodefense" mode button on the climate controls. Maybe that specifically actives fan the fans to a provide positive pressure (in addition to going through the HEPAS) ? I have some reading to do it seems 😅

Thanks for your comment!
I just read that part of the manual. The next sentence indicates that there is both a HEPA system and a secondary filtration system. It wasn't clear (at least not to me) whether both systems are engaged full-time or not.

1666389864367.png

*edit

After watching this video it appears that the HEPA is directly under the secondary one so they act together:

Last edited:
My understanding as well, that the HEPA and the 2ndary filtration works in series, meaning the air goes through them both, one after another all the time. They are not in parallel and we can't make the air go through one or the other.

Reactions: Stirfry