Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clunking sound is costing me a bundle to fix out of warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Add me to the clunking noise. 60,000 miles. Sounds like it's coming from the passenger rear side. I'm guessing CV or splines into hub.

Goes in this week. I'm still under CPO warranty... else I'd be doing it myself. Stupid car.
My 2009 Tahoe has 135,000 on it and it's drive-line is doing just fine. for 1/2 the price of a Model S.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
And Audi. And Mercedes.

(I have owned both that needed $6k+ single repairs outside of warranty.)

I agree with you on Mercedes from my experience, but I think Tesla may have a completely different client base. I meet more owners of Tesla’s coming from a Pruis or Acura’s than BMW and Mercedes. I think a lot of the Tesla customers are not ready for the repairs and cost of ownership that comes with an ultra luxury car.

I agree with you on Mercedes from my experience, but I think Tesla may have a completely different client base. I meet more owners of Tesla’s coming from a Pruis or Acura’s than BMW and Mercedes. I think a lot of the Tesla customers are not ready for the repairs and cost of ownership that comes with an ultra luxury car.

This car aint ultra luxury by any stretch. :)

I think people take for granted what they do with their other consumer-electronics when they break, they simply replace them/upgrade. This is the cost of doing business when your car is basically a giant computer.

I came to Tesla from a BMW (and a tuned Cooper S). Agree that dealer repair pricing is comparably pricey to BMW ... BUT ... parts and manuals are widely available for Indy mechanics and DIY if you are inclined. If you are going to lock out those options, like Tesla does, then I think you have more responsibility to protect your owners.

Service is a HUGE profit center for franchised dealers. Tesla doesn’t do that, and has said service is not intended as a profit center, so what gives?

Reactions: dhanson865
I came to Tesla from a BMW (and a tuned Cooper S). Agree that dealer repair pricing is comparably pricey to BMW ... BUT ... parts and manuals are widely available for Indy mechanics and DIY if you are inclined. If you are going to lock out those options, like Tesla does, then I think you have more responsibility to protect your owners.

Service is a HUGE profit center for franchised dealers. Tesla doesn’t do that, and has said service is not intended as a profit center, so what gives?
I think it will catch up for DIY as the fleet grows and it becomes worthwhile. Compare to the 12v battery registration/ coding process for BMW. Initially only dealer. Now there are lots of solutions.

I've done CVs and hubs on other vehicles, so no biggie, other than cost, and it should not have failed.

Did a CV on a 2005 Mazda Tribute just because the Tone Ring failed, and it was exactly the same amount of work... and had 160,000 on it... so why not...

Low parts volume. I would compare it to AMG Mercedes right now. The labor rate here is actually lower for Tesla, lower than any franchised dealer I have been to. But parts prices are all over the map based on what I have seen here. It does appear that common repairs get lower prices on the parts after they have been doing the repairs for a while - see the MCU where the touch screen is now available as a separate part for an example.

This car aint ultra luxury by any stretch. :)

I think people take for granted what they do with their other consumer-electronics when they break, they simply replace them/upgrade. This is the cost of doing business when your car is basically a giant computer.
It is not ultra luxury.

The 2018 Camry has a much more luxury and expensive looking interior.

Reactions: Brutaka
It is not ultra luxury.

The 2018 Camry has a much more luxury and expensive looking interior.
2018 Camry Interior Virtual Tour

It's a lot nicer than older Camrys, but that center stack looks like one of those 'who knows what China brand' Android head units you can buy on Amazon, plus they are wasting center console space with a shifter. What about this interior is better to you?