Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Connectivity: When is iPhone/Android app coming out?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Who cares what general consumers are buying for phones - the profile of the typical Tesla purchaser will be very different than the general public. Higher than average disposable income for sure.

I would expect a higher income & corporate influence to push Microsoft and Blackberry (for now) higher, Android lower. The Tesla hardware and software interaction design does seem to reflect Apple principles more than anything. A quick look at user agent stats for mobile browsers of this forum might be a better data point (though this forum will be higher than typical techies).

Are you sure those reflect installed base? Or just 2012 sales? Either way I agree that web traffic isn't a decent measure of market share — but it may be a more accurate measure of actual usage than a sales-based analysis.

The web traffic method measures browsing with the useragent field. Many android devices use a a "desktop" useragent and aren't counted as a mobile device.

Neither are going away so we need apps for both.

Internet (web) traffic is *not* a decent measure of installed market share. For smartphones (2012):

Android: 63.3%
iOS: 18.8%
Blackberry: 4.7%
Windows Phone: 2.6%

iOS is a bandwidth killer, it is well known. So internet traffic is not the right stat to look at. Installed base is one thing, new adds/sales is another. TMS owner are likely to be changing phone every 12-24 months. New adds/sales will be split between the 4 OSs and will obviously not follow the current customer base split. Accordingly, there is a need to developp the app for the 4 platforms. And the US market is heavier on iOS and Android. Canada and Europe is different.

So I believe TM should develop for BB10 and Windows 8 as well. BB10 has and Android app player that might be able to run the Android app in the mean time.

I think most companies follow this path in their mobile app development. iOS, then Android, then web app for everyone else. This will change if Win8Phone and BB10 gain traction. But there just isnt enough market for them to do more, unless they have lots of resources. It's not a bias, its just the shape of the market today (the last 18 months, and probably the next 6+ months at least also).

The web traffic method measures browsing with the useragent field.
Keep in mind that this is being muddied in the name of compatibility anyway. Authors have made "interesting" decisions in what content they deliver based on the user agent information sent in the request. In the interests of competing, the browsers have reacted accordingly.

As an example, everybody includes Mozilla in the User Agent string for compatibility reasons - and thus it's basically a useless substring for measuring share.

I'm certainly looking forward to the smartphone apps, but it would also be nice to see a web app. The web app will be useful not only on Win8 and BB (or whatever other phones), but also for those who don't have smartphones or who want to access their car from their desktop/laptop computer.

I'm certainly looking forward to the smartphone apps, but it would also be nice to see a web app. The web app will be useful not only on Win8 and BB (or whatever other phones), but also for those who don't have smartphones or who want to access their car from their desktop/laptop computer.

I really hope so. It would be nice not to have to pull out my phone while at work to pre-cool my car in the summer. I also have a Windows Phone 8 so I am thinking a web app is more likely than one for my phone anyway.

Yes, Webapp would be very cool.

I usually prefer to use my desktop over my mobile. Facebook? I prefer facebook.com over the mobile app. Same goes for using Tapatalk to visit this forum or use my desktop, where I prefer the latter.

I think the WP8 debate will fix itself in the marketplace ;-) Sorry, couldn't resist.

After playing with WP8 I'm pretty darn impressed. I see it taking a little time, but it will catch on, especially if MS can keep costs for hardware low. Just look at the Android approach. Hardware is almost free most of the time, and now market penetration for Android far outpaces iOS, and I don't see that changing unless Apple can bring down device cost to consumers.

patp has found something that we could probably use for a desktop version ... he is currently using it for the OVMS communication to his roadster but it looks promising as though it could be used for the Model S app when it comes out.

Hi OVMS users,

I came across a very interesting software that let you run Android applications on your Mac or PC. Right now, I'm currently connected to my Roadster from my Mac.

Run Mobile Apps on Windows PC or Mac with BlueStacks | Android App Player

Should get a WP thread going once its out. (And poll for WP7.x vs WP8 users -- there are some small things you'd need a WP8 specific app for, like integration with maps/directions to navigate to your current car's location..)

I was looking the other day on teslamotors for the screenshot and couldn't remember where it was (as you have to click within the charging on the go section to see it).
There is some difference from the beta version demo'd six months ago... and likely some more when its official out

tesla-app.png

patp has found something that we could probably use for a desktop version ... he is currently using it for the OVMS communication to his roadster but it looks promising as though it could be used for the Model S app when it comes out.
Can't load/use my old Nvidia FX 5200 (128 MB) drivers. {sigh} Obsolescence is advancing faster than my system.

Should get a WP thread going once its out. (And poll for WP7.x vs WP8 users -- there are some small things you'd need a WP8 specific app for, like integration with maps/directions to navigate to your current car's location..)

I was looking the other day on teslamotors for the screenshot and couldn't remember where it was (as you have to click within the charging on the go section to see it).
There is some difference from the beta version demo'd six months ago... and likely some more when its official out
The phrase in the description "available later this summer" is amusing. Maybe they were talking southern hemisphere.