Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do Tesla under rate their cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just out of curiosity, does Tesla under rate their car. I was screwing around in a new 100D. With my meter, I am coming back with a 0-60 time between 4.1 to 4.2. The number seems close to what Tesla rates except I didn't use a 1 foot rollout.

I did notice the car started to slow down after 3-4 tries within a matter of 10 minutes and I also witnessed the first pass being much slower. I am guessing the battery was too cold?

0-60 times are always going to have some variability based on a whole host of factors like temperature, wind, surface, tires and so on. in addition there is the accuracy of whatever you are measuring with and the tolerances of the cars components. This is why magazines will frequently have different numbers between them, or even for different samples of the same car. The 1-foot rollout isn't as big a deal with the 100D as well.

Tesla also has no reason to underrate the 100D as even if its in the high 3s the P100D is still much faster. If anything they would be overrating it to further differentiate it from the 75D.

• Helpful
Reactions: mattack4000
I've read elsewhere 100D is doing 0-60 in about 3.6 and the 4.1 is under rated/stated. It definitely seems if the battery is too cold or too hot the performance is drastically less from optimal. I have a 100D myself and would love to hear others opinions/experiences. I do not have the equipment to do so, but anyone in the Seattle/Tacoma that has a vbox and wants to do some runs with me in the S please let me know....I'll even pull out the GT3 for comparison :)

I didn't have a chance to test the S100D with full battery charge, but the data seems consistent that the car was doing 4.1-4.2 sec 0-60 at about 50-60% and it started slowing down after a few runs. I have only done some tests on my 75D, it has come in slower than rated, but I was running with 35-40% battery.

Reactions: GTKAZ
They overrate their fast cars, P versions, and they underrate their slower cars.
So that someone would lean towards P versions.

Tesla data: P85D 3.1 seconds vs 85D 4.2 seconds.
Real data: P85D 3.3 seconds vs 85D 3.8 seconds.

Reactions: GTKAZ
You know what, I should have been less lazy and done more testing with the other car. With my car at 85% battery, the times came down to rated and it was half a second faster than the car with 50% less juice.

How much power you have will have difference in your result. I thought they would try to cap it