Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anything need to be changed software side to enable a DIY added OEM trailer wiring module for Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I am properly confused now!
I've heard it from Tesla direct AND the local SC in Chester and they all say the same thing - do not go ahead and fit one??? Your warranty "may be" invalidated?
OK - so I am going to get this in writing from them once I drill down deeper into installing one using their kit.
IF - if they renege, then I will ask a professional tow bar fitting company to fit it for me - as I am not as confident as you both are with installing this.
Thank you for your time and explanations guys.

I've heard it from Tesla direct AND the local SC in Chester and they all say the same thing - do not go ahead and fit one??? Your warranty "may be" invalidated?
OK - so I am going to get this in writing from them once I drill down deeper into installing one using their kit.
IF - if they renege, then I will ask a professional tow bar fitting company to fit it for me - as I am not as confident as you both are with installing this.
If you were asking Tesla to fit this for you then they will say no, which I guess is what you have been told. This is different to what you’ve seen in this thread because most in this thread have or are fitting it themselves.

Read the warranty terms, any aftermarket part may invalidate the warranty for the parts it affects (note even though in this case these are OEM parts, Tesla does not officially support a retrofit and this is done aftermarket). This is because the manufacturer may blame your aftermarket part if it affects a certain part and it breaks. However, at least in the US, we have a law where the full warranty can't be invalidated simply by using aftermarket parts.

Take for example you installed some aftermarket lights outside your car, but inside your car you have a loose dashboard. Tesla can't invalidate your warranty and not fix that that loose dashboard, given the aftermarket part is completely unrelated to the warranty issue. However, say for example those aftermarket lights shorted out and burn some of the OEM wiring loom. In that case, your warranty is invalided for that part, given the failure was caused by your aftermarket part.

The other issue is that as others mentioned, because Model 3s without the tow bar fitted from factory are given a 0kg tow rating (for whatever reason, it could simply be because Tesla didn't bother to do the paperwork), after you install it, your car still has 0kg tow rating, which may get you in trouble if you are pulled over. That may also be why Tesla refuses to install one after the fact. The case is different for Model Y, where there is an official retrofit.

Reactions: Cardo
I’m confused by your post. What is it you want in writing from Tesla? That you should not install the tow bar and it may invalidate your warranty? How would that assist you and how would they “renege” in anything?

Reactions: KennethS
So........I requested the tow hitch parts from Tesla (specifying parts only, no fitting / labour) and have received a message today to schedule a service appointment. Is this correct? Do I scedule a service appoinment to collect parts or do they still think that fitting / labour is required?

So........I requested the tow hitch parts from Tesla (specifying parts only, no fitting / labour) and have received a message today to schedule a service appointment. Is this correct? Do I scedule a service appoinment to collect parts or do they still think that fitting / labour is required?
The estimate will show parts-only, then you go to the SC to pick up the parts when they are available. If there is a labor component, there will be labor written in the estimate. At least that is how it works here in the US. Tesla generally doesn't ship parts (other than accessories sold on the Tesla store) although I have heard of some cases where the Mobile service drops off the part, availability of which varies on location.

Reactions: doats1
The estimate will show parts-only, then you go to the SC to pick up the parts when they are available. If there is a labor component, there will be labor written in the estimate. At least that is how it works here in the US. Tesla generally doesn't ship parts (other than accessories sold on the Tesla store) although I have heard of some cases where the Mobile service drops off the part, availability of which varies on location.
So just to clarify, I do need to scedule a service appointment to collect the parts?

So just to clarify, I do need to scedule a service appointment to collect the parts?
Yes, assuming your estimate doesn't show a labor component. Sometimes however whoever does your service request in the app may make a mistake when entering, so always check the estimate they send to see if they put the correct parts and if they added labor by mistake.

When you do the service request, the person taking your order should give you an estimate if any parts are backordered and you would be scheduled a date after all parts are estimated to arrive. It should also automatically email status updates to your email. When the appointment time comes and the SC have not received the part(s) yet, the people there are supposed to reschedule you, although sometimes they may forget. When the appointment time approaches I always actively send a message in the app to check if they received all the parts yet and if not I request to reschedule.

Yes, assuming your estimate doesn't show a labor component. Sometimes however whoever does your service request in the app may make a mistake when entering, so always check the estimate they send to see if they put the correct parts and if they added labor by mistake.

When you do the service request, the person taking your order should give you an estimate if any parts are backordered and you would be scheduled a date after all parts are estimated to arrive. It should also automatically email status updates to your email. When the appointment time comes and the SC have not received the part(s) yet, the people there are supposed to reschedule you, although sometimes they may forget. When the appointment time approaches I always actively send a message in the app to check if they received all the parts yet and if not I request to reschedule.
Many thanks, this is my 1st time dealing with Tesla as I've only owned the vehicle for around 2 weeks.

It is simple - so far I have verbal advice from Tesla saying 'do not fit aftermarket tow bar as it 'may' invalidate your warranty' (connecting to the electrics).
I will ask/demand/encourage them to send me an email confirming this. If they confirm this via email - I will NOT fit the tow bar. If they back track from the verbal advice they have given me and advise that provided all parts are OEM parts - and there is no warranty issue.......then I WILL fit it.

End.

Perhaps you should avoid using the word Aftermarket, because it might suggest to Tesla that you're looking to fit non-OEM parts. This would make sense as to why they're talking about warranty in such strong terms.

As mentioned above, Tesla can't invalidate the warranty of the entire car. But they can refuse to fix under warranty if it's related to work you've carried out that caused the problem, which makes sense.

There is always going to be a warranty issue - you are modifying the car from its original spec. Any modified part, the warranty on that part is void. Any damage caused by the modifications is not covered by warranty. It doesn’t matter if you used OEM parts or not.

It really is that simple and is why they are telling you it ‘may’ void your warranty. They can’t give you definitive advice either way because there is not an exhaustive list of things that could or could not be covered by the warranty after you have modified it.

Reactions: Cardo and zoros
@doats1 , I now have a receiver en route (expected Wed next week) and I'm collecting all of the Misc parts from Tesla tomorrow. I've been watching a few tutorials to get a feel for the job, but they've all been using aftermarket tow hitches which is not ideal. I have a few Q's for you if that's ok.

1. Some remove 2 x brackets (BRKT-RR RAIL TO BUMPER PLATE 1083562-S0-A) and do not refit, when fitting the aftermarket tow hitch. - Are these removed when fitting the OEM Tesla hitch, actually are there any parts that are removed and not reused when fitting the tow hitch?

2. Same as above but for this part (ASSEMBLY, BUMPER BEAM EXTRUSION, REAR 1095314-00-C)?

Edit: Don't worry about Q's 1 & 2 above, I've just read "Assembly - Trailer Hitch (Remove and Replace)" from the service manual and answered these myself.

3. Is Tesla toolbox fairly intuitive and will it be immediately obvious how to enable "Trailer Mode". The few tutorials that I've seen, it looks to be quite clunky?

As always, any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

P.S. Almost forgot, please could you share a link for the correct Toolbox / Car connection cable?

Last edited:
3. Is Tesla toolbox fairly intuitive and will it be immediately obvious how to enable "Trailer Mode". The few tutorials that I've seen, it looks to be quite clunky?

Considering what Toolbox lets you do I'd say it's fairly easy to use. Follow steps 9 onwards here: Model 3 Service Manual | Tesla

P.S. Almost forgot, please could you share a link for the correct Toolbox / Car connection cable?
For my 2020 M3 I bought this cable: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0BR5371ZR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But you can find out what you need here: Service and diagnostic information for independent businesses and individuals involved in the professional maintenance and repair of Tesla vehicles.

Last edited:
Reactions: Garethrn
Thanks a bundle mate! As always, super helpful and super quick to reply, it's greatly appreciated!

Reactions: doats1
The receiver should be arriving Wednesday if all goes well, so fingers crossed I'll be able to fit it on the weekend. Is the cable that supplies power / signals from the car to the trailer hitch ECU already in place and ready to plug into the ECU, I just thought I'd double check before removing the bumper?

The receiver should be arriving Wednesday if all goes well, so fingers crossed I'll be able to fit it on the weekend. Is the cable that supplies power / signals from the car to the trailer hitch ECU already in place and ready to plug into the ECU, I just thought I'd double check before removing the bumper?
Hard to say really. I think it's generally accepted that M3's from 2020 onwards will have the socket ready to go. But I wouldn't actually know when they were being fitted.

Reactions: Garethrn