Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Does FSD have any second-hand value?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those who sold their Tesla privately:-

If you paid for FSD or EAP when you bought the car, do you think you got any of that money back when you sold it? I'm actually scouting around for a used Model 3 and would quite like EAP, but would probably pay a smidgen more for FSD at this point on the assumption that we might get involved in the beta in the next few years.

If you paid for FSD or EAP when you bought the car, do you think you got any of that money back when you sold it? I'm actually scouting around for a used Model 3 and would quite like EAP, but would probably pay a smidgen more for FSD at this point on the assumption that we might get involved in the beta in the next few years.
It has some value for those go crazy about how awesome FSD is.

Even within that population, you can't overcome the fact that the $15,000 didn't increase to a promised price of $100,000 but now fell to $8,000.

I suggest you search on here for EAP and FSD in the UK before parting with any additional money.
Crazy in 2024 people are still thinking of splashing the cash on this.
I understand your view and you are likely in the overwhelming majority, but we happily paid for EAP on our 2022 MYLR (we have FSD on the 2019 M3P but at that time EAP was not an option and pricing was lower). On cars with USS at least (the only ones I have personally experienced) we find some features of EAP useful. I am under no illusions that if we were selling it will add anything to market value but we tend to keep our cars until the end of life anyway and I never consider resale when buying a vehicle.

Not even tesla increase their trade in quotes for it.

I wouldn't pay any more for it, it's not worth anything currently and may never be in the lifetime of the cars on the road today.
Trade in quotes I’ve had from Tesla have explicitly said “includes value of Full Self Driving”, but I’ve got no way of directly comparing prices with and without.

Reactions: melsee
FSD will have a value when it comes to selling - but only to someone that hasn't done any research or never previously had a Tesla or an Elon Musk/Tesla fanboy that have eternal hope.
Knowing just how useless FSD is I wouldn't pay a single penny more for a car than the going rate for the particular model/condition/mileage/ year etc that only has the basic autopilot - in short the presence or absence of wouldn't impact my decision.

I do use summon occasionally - usually when picking up long lengths of wood for DIY, always reverse into a parking spot on the perimeter - to save door dings, I get the car to move forward so i can get access to the boot and load up.
The car cant park itself - usually cant even identify a parking spot, On the road - the Motorway its more stressful with FSD engaged than simply driving yourself as you have to have your foot hovering above the throttle to negate any phantom brake, It quits all the time anyway.
Genuinely, I wouldn't pay a fiver for it.

FSD will have a value when it comes to selling - but only to someone that hasn't done any research or never previously had a Tesla or an Elon Musk/Tesla fanboy that have eternal hope.
Knowing just how useless FSD is I wouldn't pay a single penny more for a car than the going rate for the particular model/condition/mileage/ year etc that only has the basic autopilot - in short the presence or absence of wouldn't impact my decision.

I do use summon occasionally - usually when picking up long lengths of wood for DIY, always reverse into a parking spot on the perimeter - to save door dings, I get the car to move forward so i can get access to the boot and load up.
The car cant park itself - usually cant even identify a parking spot, On the road - the Motorway its more stressful with FSD engaged than simply driving yourself as you have to have your foot hovering above the throttle to negate any phantom brake, It quits all the time anyway.
Genuinely, I wouldn't pay a fiver for it.
Not to mention that now that it’s been dropped from $12k ($15k at one point?) to $99/month you could not bother buying it here until it actually shows signs of coming out - e.g. in at least 5 years time - and just buy it then for the same or less.

Do options/accessories ever make much of a difference to used car prices?

OP while I'm sure you are well informed, just to mention that in the past some dealers have highlighted the 'Full Self Driving Computer' that all cars have, rathe than actually having the option.

A year ago people who studied it suggested FSD would fetch $4,000 more, when it cost around $15,000 on a new car. Today the premium is in the range of $1,000 to $1,500. That's in private sales. In sales through Tesla, they are not known to offer much for it -- it's of no value to them, it's just a bit they flip in the account of the car, and they tend to flip in the cars they sell, regardless of how they came it.

At $99/month, paying $1,000 for it might be a reasonable approach if you really want it. The features of EAP tend to be more useful to people, like auto-park (if it works) and lane change.

• Disagree
Reactions: btc1k
I get that we all have different ideas of what is value for money and some of the features are undoubtedly useful, but you are paying full price for two fifths of a product. Of course there is a chance that the 3 missing features might appear some time you have the car, but £3400 buys you a lot of lottery tickets :)

IMHO it just encourages Tesla to produce sub-par products.

No. The end.

Reactions: init6

I estimate I paid about £500 extra to get EAP/FSD when I bought my 71 plate M3LR last year.

Reactions: Fursty Ferret

Noticing Americans commenting on this. Ignore them. FSD situation is entirely different there.

Personally, I bought FSD in Aug 2019. After some initial improvements Autopilot functionality has deteriorated a great deal since then. I have now switched off the "extra" functionality, and really just use the "free" autopilot, which is mostly pretty good, but it's a million miles from US style FSD.

I will likely buy a new Tesla next year. I will not be paying a penny for any functionality that is not in operation and is known to work well.

I do not blame Tesla for this, it is the European interpretation of UN regulations that has stopped us getting FSD, and is ruining the enhanced Autopilot functionality as well. But I have well and truly wasted £5,800.

Noticing Americans commenting on this. Ignore them. FSD situation is entirely different there.

Personally, I bought FSD in Aug 2019. After some initial improvements Autopilot functionality has deteriorated a great deal since then. I have now switched off the "extra" functionality, and really just use the "free" autopilot, which is mostly pretty good, but it's a million miles from US style FSD.

I will likely buy a new Tesla next year. I will not be paying a penny for any functionality that is not in operation and is known to work well.

I do not blame Tesla for this, it is the European interpretation of UN regulations that has stopped us getting FSD, and is ruining the enhanced Autopilot functionality as well. But I have well and truly wasted £5,800.
You still get Summon so you can get the car to move a couple of inches away to enter in a tight parking spot... that's at least £5k right there............. :D

Do options/accessories ever make much of a difference to used car prices?

OP while I'm sure you are well informed, just to mention that in the past some dealers have highlighted the 'Full Self Driving Computer' that all cars have, rathe than actually having the option.

Only time I have ever seen an enhanced value is when you have a special edition type car or off the shelf package - which came with a bunch of upgrades as standard over the base models. Say a bodykit + leather sports seats + suspension upgrade + special paint colour option, that sort of thing.
Mini's used to bring in more money with things like the Chilli pack or at least not lose as much as their counterparts without it.

I know I'm in the minority but on our USS-equipped cars we find EAP has value. Is it worth the full price Tesla charges? Irrelevant to me because it costs what it costs and we like some of the added features it comes with. So, if I were buying a previously owned Model 3 or Y with USS, I would pay something more for one with EAP (all else being equal). Simply because we would otherwise buy it ourselves from Tesla after acquiring the car.

I feel your pain...but I've enjoyed what functionality available on long haul trips to Iberia. But I too would pass on it the 2nd time around. Hopefully the $99 monthly deal will occur here once the EU gets out of the way should I need a new Tesla.