Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Tesla make money on Supercharging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They actually lose money now on superchargers. That a pretty tough business model to make money on. The superchargers are a way to help relieve the publics fear of range issues for Tesla EV's.

I don't know if ANYONE is making much, if any money in the fast charging biz. At least not yet.Supercharging is for sure a minus on Tesla's balance sheet. I think even if all Teslas moved to a pay-per-use model, it still would not be a profit center.
Report: Public Electric-Car Chargers Are Being Crushed by Demand Charges

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
It's not at all easy to figure Tesla's exact incremental cost of supercharging one of their cars. Commercial electricity rates consist of two parts: the energy charge at essentially the wholesale price plus a demand charge that depends on the peak power drawn at any time during the current month. That means a consistently busy supercharger probably costs Tesla much less (per charging session) than a lightly used one.

Wholesale energy prices are much lower than the usual residential rates, because residential users are charged a substantial per-kWh markup in lieu of a demand charge. Even in California, notorious for high electric rates, the wholesale price is typically about 5-6 cents/kWh. It gets bid up with demand but still rarely exceeds 10 cents/kWh though it can occasionally spike much higher. It depends a lot on where you are (as well as what time it is) because of congestion in the long-haul transmission grid. You can see the real-time California wholesale prices here:

California ISO - Prices

Note that the prices are in $/MWh. $50/MWh is $0.05/kWh.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I don't know if ANYONE is making much, if any money in the fast charging biz. At least not yet.Supercharging is for sure a minus on Tesla's balance sheet. I think even if all Teslas moved to a pay-per-use model, it still would not be a profit center.
Report: Public Electric-Car Chargers Are Being Crushed by Demand Charges

I think the way to profitability for fast chargers is to get to high utilization rates. That allows even lower total cost per kWh than residential rates, instead of much higher.

Batteries to buffer demand peaks will also help.

GSP

I go back to the fact that the San Diego region has, since 2012, been a supercharger desert. Our first SC, San Juan Capistrano was full from the day it opened. Qualcomm was full from the day it opened. San Clemente finally helped out the SJC bottleneck, and A Street will help out for those going downtown, but Qualcomm is still overloaded even as A street and San Clemente are online. Just shows that a lot more capacity is needed.

It is more than a bit annoying that Tesla hasn’t been able to figure out San Diego in 6 years. I’ve heard lots of excuses from protracted legal negotiations with landlords to long permit approval times. And now we hear that Tesla is charging downtown landlords, to the tune of about $50K - $100K/yr (my napkin math), which makes site acqusition even harder.

The well positioned Carslbad location will open in 1-2 months, but I suspect it will be full too. And we haven’t gotten hit yet with the tsunami of short range Model 3 cars. Sigh, I just hope the Tesla manager at the A street opening was truthful when he promised 10 locations in San Diego within a year.

So much overthinking.

How much does Supercharging cost Tesla?
Our costs vary based on both operational and electricity costs but Supercharging is offered to our customers below the price that it costs us to provide the service. Similar to our Service Centers, this will not be a profit center for Tesla.

Supercharging
So…basically a local utility bills Tesla for the electricity used and TSLA passes that on the the car owner, right?
I would imagine that sometimes Tesla might pay/lease the parking spots or not depending on the owner of the property.
Definitely not a profit center for TSLA…