Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Editorial: Why it is safer to have creep mode ON rather than OFF.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You should *always* have your foot on the brake when stopped (e.g. at a red traffic light). If you were to get rear-ended while waiting, you would get pushed into the cross-traffic, not to mention having a greater chance of whiplash. Full disclosure: I currently drive a stick.

With creep off it only requires a light press on the brake to engage hill hold. Then you can sit there without touching any pedals until you are ready to drive off. It makes stop lights and junctions so much easier. As for being rear-ended, there are plenty of times I would prefer the brakes NOT to be on, but that requires some thought as to where you are going to get pushed!

Reactions: vandacca
+1 @commasign ...I still remember when tesla introduced creep mode ...when you are parking or other low manuver situations it’s much easier to modulate with the brake ..I wouldn’t even consider turning off let alone let someone else drive without this on

I don't know if you've noticed this (probably not if you have never switched creep off), but even with creep switched off it still actually creeps once you initiate some movement with the accelerator. For example, when reversing into my garage with creep off, I start the car moving with the accelerator and then I can modulate with the brake exactly as if it was in creep mode. Only if I come to a dead stop does it then stop creeping until I start it moving again. I don't know if it's always been set up like this (mine has always worked like this since Feb), but I think it's the best of both worlds. In normal stop/start driving, creep off is way better and the hill hold is so easy to initiate to prevent roll backs etc. You should try it, I doubt you would go back to simulating an automatic!

If someone else was driving and they were used to automatics I would probably switch creep on just for consistency. But I would never use creep myself now.

I don't know if you've noticed this (probably not if you have never switched creep off), but even with creep switched off it still actually creeps once you initiate some movement with the accelerator. For example, when reversing into my garage with creep off, I start the car moving with the accelerator and then I can modulate with the brake exactly as if it was in creep mode. Only if I come to a dead stop does it then stop creeping until I start it moving again. I don't know if it's always been set up like this (mine has always worked like this since Feb), but I think it's the best of both worlds. In normal stop/start driving, creep off is way better and the hill hold is so easy to initiate to prevent roll backs etc. You should try it, I doubt you would go back to simulating an automatic!

If someone else was driving and they were used to automatics I would probably switch creep on just for consistency. But I would never use creep myself now.

Will give it another try. The opposite is true too. Sometimes (rarely, perhaps in extreme heat or cold) with creep mode ON, car doesn’t budge. Brake hold off, no incline. It just sits there and needs a light tap on the accelerator to get going. Go figure.

Last edited:

I'm thinking that you're either experiencing momentum or gravity (due to a slight decline). Tesla is a lot more efficient than most vehicles, so if you have regen set to low (or circumventing regen by sligly pressing the accelerator), you'll coast a good while before coming to a stop.

I'm thinking that you're either experiencing momentum or gravity (due to a slight decline). Tesla is a lot more efficient than most vehicles, so if you have regen set to low (or circumventing regen by sligly pressing the accelerator), you'll coast a good while before coming to a stop.

Nope, I considered all that and mine definitely creeps whether it's supposed to or not! Regen is set to standard too. Have you tried it yourself? Before you ask it doesn't creep when stopped on flat ground, only when you start it moving with the accelerator and then it creeps slowly for however long you need it to and you can even modulate it with the brake. I've tested it in N to see if it's simply rolling slightly downhill, but then it stops almost instantly.

I have. Mine definitely does not creep with Creep off, even if I use the accelerator unless I'm on an inclined surface.I am on Firmware 2018.24.1

I'm also on 24.1
Mine must be a special, lol. Just to be clear it doesn't creep unless I ask it to. But then it definitely does (at least in reverse). I'll check if it's the same going forward as I'm not sure about that.

Edit: There is some momentum involved of course, but mine is perpetual!

[QUOTE="Peteski, post: 2851907, member: 66251"Edit: There is some momentum involved of course, but mine is perpetual![/QUOTE]

I'll get a good long roll out of the momentum, but mine does come back to a stop.If I'm on a slight incline, it will come to a stop and start rolling backwards if I don't apply the brake. In fact, my driveway is on an incline and if I'm not lined up with my garage, I just let it do just that (begin to roll back) to give me more room to straighten out before I take another shot at the garage opening. Will keep an eye out myself and maybe play around a bit more.

Would be interested to know how many of those people actually DID have Creep on. Tesla would know for sure.

Yep. That would be very useful data to have. In low speed, parking lot situations if one has their foot hovering/riding the brake pedal, it would be hard to imagine a collision-causing unintended acceleration event. But all just theory and speculation without data.

I'll get a good long roll out of the momentum, but mine does come back to a stop.If I'm on a slight incline, it will come to a stop and start rolling backwards if I don't apply the brake. In fact, my driveway is on an incline and if I'm not lined up with my garage, I just let it do just that (begin to roll back) to give me more room to straighten out before I take another shot at the garage opening. Will keep an eye out myself and maybe play around a bit more.

My driveway is dead flat, which is why I noticed the creep when reversing into the garage. I just get it crawling with the accelerator (it won't creep on its own) and then use the brake to modulate. It's just like having creep on, although probably not quite as strong. But certainly gets around the issue of having to keep moving back and forth from accelerator to brake as you might imagine doing with no creep.

. In low speed, parking lot situations if one has their foot hovering/riding the brake pedal, it would be hard to imagine a collision-causing unintended acceleration event.
That's just it, people think their foot is hovering or riding the brake... except that it's the accelerator.

When they press it slightly and they don't feel themselves stop, they slam it to the floor. If instead you know you're pressing the accelerator to move (creep mode off) then it's easier to understand you need to switch to the brake and not continue hitting the accelerator pedal.

Reactions: inconel and widodh
Nope, I considered all that and mine definitely creeps whether it's supposed to or not! Regen is set to standard too. Have you tried it yourself? Before you ask it doesn't creep when stopped on flat ground, only when you start it moving with the accelerator and then it creeps slowly for however long you need it to and you can even modulate it with the brake. I've tested it in N to see if it's simply rolling slightly downhill, but then it stops almost instantly.
I have noticed my car creeping a little (despite not being in creep mode) occasionally on flat street when stopped in traffic without hill hold set. Most of the time it does not.
Very confusing.

That's just it, people think their foot is hovering or riding the brake... except that it's the accelerator.

When they press it slightly and they don't feel themselves stop, they slam it to the floor. If instead you know you're pressing the accelerator to move (creep mode off) then it's easier to understand you need to switch to the brake and not continue hitting the accelerator pedal.
That! I still think that creep should be removed as an option and be on by default. A lot safer

I'm going to be coming from a manual transmission so I will definitely keep it off. I don't like how you have to keep pressure on the brake to stop the car moving (seems counter-intuitive to me). Also most people don't seem to be able to stop their cars creeping forward at lights :)

be on by default. A lot safer
I was actually arguing creep should be off. :)

Having slammed an ICE into a wall due to sudden unintended acceleration (not once, but on two separate occasions) [long story] I do have quite an opinion on the matter.

In my opinion the car shouldn't move unless I hit the accelerator. This way there's no confusion as to which pedal my foot is hovering above.

Reactions: inconel and EinSV
I was actually arguing creep should be off. :)

Having slammed an ICE into a wall due to sudden unintended acceleration (not once, but on two separate occasions) [long story] I do have quite an opinion on the matter.

In my opinion the car shouldn't move unless I hit the accelerator. This way there's no confusion as to which pedal my foot is hovering above.
Ah, yes, I misread your post. But my opinion stays, I think creep off is just dangerous. People do not know it is in D and can suddenly accelerate.

With creep on you need to keep your foot on the brake.