Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk on The Joe Rogan Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I may be the biggest Elon fan on this forum but this decision, in my estimation, was not a good sign for Elon continuing as ceo, I think almost an acknowledgement that he no longer wants to be ceo. I would have preferred he controlled the narrative.

Sadly, I think Elon is hurting more than he let’s on.

And this isn’t about weed, though I certainly don’t know how he could maintain his level of functioning while using regularly. Though some folks can pull it off I suppose (i would have eaten all the Cheetos and California by now) My guess is that they’ve already started looking for new ceo and he is giving a big f you to the board.

Ah oh well,

Make no mistake, I really like Elon. One of the few people I admire. I'm encouraged by the responses on TMC that maybe smoking pot on Joe Rogan isn't such a big deal after all.

I did watch a lot of the interview, and enjoyed the discussion about google more than anything, and I didn't watch the portion where Elon smoked.

However, here is my thought process on this.....
1) I really hope Elon stays CEO
2) I really hope Elon wants to stay CEO
3) Much like Elon has had to hold his nose and tolerate the financial/business side of things, he most likely has to be careful at times about the political side of things.... and for this reason, I also worry he won't be able to reach his own goals.... This is why I say he is likely hurting emotionally.... he seems to be struggling to me.

He's far more capable than almost everyone, but he's also human, but here's my point: he's not an entertainer or a musician, where drug use is an individual decision that might enhance things.... he's in a politically vulnerable spot right now, and buttershrimp can only make so many TMC fart jokes in Elon's defense before people on the board who have invested everything in Tesla grow weary of Elon.... remember, they are under stress too. And I don't mean shareholders, I mean folks who really are riding strong with Elon.

I don't worry about Elon's ability to tolerate a bout of depression and move past it, but I don't know if he can protect himself against the sharks and shorts and stay in the CEO position. I hope I'm wrong folks. It's the first time I've been worried about his ability to stay in the CEO spot.

He already *said* he didn't want to be CEO, in the famous "Do you know someone who can do this job and wants to? They can have it" statement.

He said the next three to six months would be the most difficult in his life. He is nothing if not straightforward.

As well, people tend to forget that about 4 years ago, Elon did say that in 4 or 5 or 6 years, he'd probably move on from the CEO role into a CV*O or similar role.

So accounting for Tesla time, a change sometime in the next couple of years wouldn't be unexpected. Now, bringing someone in and grooming them for the role in advance wouldn't be a bad idea. Although I don't know that many would complain if J.B. or Jerome were chosen by the board (and Elon) to run the show either. It's one or the other (bring in from the outside or promote from within). Jerome is already, as of today, president of all things automotive at Tesla. Let that sink in for a moment.

*Visionary

Cannon ball type run, so so boring. AND a big waste of energy, even if it is clean.

How about a different idea: promotion of Elon's projects/companies/products
- take people for intro ride in an electric car, schools? time with local EV promo events
- Visit Elon Musk business locations - take videos to share your "tour" of the sites
- SpaceX, test and launch sites, rockets, Satellites , Boring Projects
- time with local EV promotion event
- GO to every state Legislature where Tesla not allowed to open stores
(collect signatures of those citizens that want to see Tesla stores.)
- Pool all the video - contest for the edited results?

oh man, sounds like a lot of work

PS - Why would anyone, in his right mind, want to drive 800 miles a day? Road trip just o see a road??
oh, and you get to see fueling stations too, almost forgot about that.
There is so much to see/visit in the US, just driving by it all is such a waste of time.
Pub crawl? (no drinking & driving - there are limits)
coffee crawl? or wine tastings?

my bias, I want to see the video/drone footage so I don't have to do all that driving. :rolleyes:

(((LONG PAUSE)))
:::EXHALES:::
I tried to convince people to slow down..
slow down AI..
to regulate AI.
this was futile.
i tried for years.
nobody listened..
nobody listened..
nobody listened.

And...nothing happened. This would be a much more poignant quote if we were reading it in an underground bunker while the hunter-killer bots roamed overhead, but since the best heuristics available still can’t reliably keep my inbox free of spam, let’s just say I don’t worry about Skynet taking over any time soon.

And...nothing happened. This would be a much more poignant quote if we were reading it in an underground bunker while the hunter-killer bots roamed overhead, but since the best heuristics available still can’t reliably keep my inbox free of spam, let’s just say I don’t worry about Skynet taking over any time soon.
AI drones - what could go wrong? no more buses or wedding parties? They might forget about us.

Obviously you didn’t listen to the interview. He specifically said he almost never smokes. And you could tell in the interview that he doesn’t know how to. It was a typical nerd “puffs for the first time” thing.

I noticed that too in the clip I saw. Don't think he inhalled. I managed to watch about half the interview last night before calling it a night and woke up to quite the news story in the morning. Here's one thing I don't get. If he doesn't really smoke, why do so there and then? Also I highly doubt he brought his own whisky and smoke there to the interview although I didn't see how this came about in the interview; but if not, do you guys think he was set up by Rogan? Does Rogan do this type of thing routinely on his shows? You know this is something that has already been re-aired, and will be played ad naseum for eternity, in the press. You can count on it. I suspect Rogan could make a pretty penny from any licensing of his show's video on other legit news site rebroadcasts. Big win for Rogan, not so sure a good move for Elon.

I noticed that too in the clip I saw. Don't think he inhalled. I managed to watch about half the interview last night before calling it a night and woke up to quite the news story in the morning. Here's one thing I don't get. If he doesn't really smoke, why do so there and then? Also I highly doubt he brought his own whisky and smoke there to the interview although I didn't see how this came about in the interview; but if not, do you guys think he was set up by Rogan? Does Rogan do this type of thing routinely on his shows? You know this is something that has already been re-aired, and will be played ad naseum for eternity, in the press. You can count on it. I suspect Rogan could make a pretty penny from any licensing of his show's video on other legit news site rebroadcasts. Big win for Rogan, not so sure a good move for Elon.

They’re both drinking whiskey throughout the interview(it’s explained early on that it was given to Rogan by an earlier guest) and the pot also came from Rogan. Elon seemed kind of hesitant about the pot but took exactly one puff since it’s just another drug like alcohol.

Despite the characterization in the media, it was a pretty mellow, uneventful thing.

Reactions: Mobius484

Elon seems more of an edible guy to me. One thing is certain, I'm glad Joe Rogan smokes weed frequently now.... He was way to agro this last decade.

I think he was set up by Rogan a little bit. But I certainly don’t think it was in a vindictive way. Just standard peer pressure smoke weed with me type of thing. I actually really like Rogan’s line, C’mon... you’re Elon ****ing Musk you can do whatever you want.

I think this will blow over and we won’t hear much about it at all. It’s really not a big deal.

I think it’s going to be a net positive in the long run. I noticed a lot of my friends on FB who have never showed any interest in Elon or Tesla, talking about it, and in a good way. Elon’s more socially relevant now because of it, even though it’s really stupid and should mean nothing, it’s made him ballsy and cool.

$389 to $263. Thats a big valley to ignore...

It depends entirely on your investing horizon and your investment thesis. If you're in for a few months to a year, then that's a big valley to ignore.

If your investment horizon is 10+ years, then all I know for sure is that I've ridden the stock down from 180 to 130, 280 to 180 several times, and 380 to 280 several times. In 10 years, it'll be rounding errors.

Or a different way to think about it - my ownership fraction is the same whether the share price is 200, 300, or 400. The only difference this valley might create, is it might entice me to increase that fraction. No money has been lost in the drop from 380 to 260 (and no money has been created in the run from 27 to 260).

So for me at least, I mostly haven't noticed this valley :) The investment thesis is better today than it was at the beginning of the year - Model 3 is coming out of the factory at a fantastic pace, and they're showing up all over where I live. I'm loving it.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger