Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Tweeting about Thailand and Reputation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Strangely enough I’ll defend Elon on this one. The diver’s crude comments toward Elon warrant an equal response.

A calls B: cynical publicity seeker
B calls A: dangerous, violent criminal

Not equal at all.

This has me seriously questioning an intended future purchase from Tesla. I'm not kidding.

You don't make accusations about criminal behavior without be able to point to evidence for it. That kind of thing ruins people's lives.

Last edited:

Not equal at all.

This has me seriously questioning an intended future purchase from Tesla. I'm not kidding.

You don't make accusations about criminal behavior without be able to point to evidence for it. That kind of thing ruins people's lives.

You need to revisit the comments that A made to B.

Not equal at all.

Then don’t buy one snowflake.

Not equal at all.

em also said something after that about betting a signed dollar it’s true. maybe they did background search into the guy and found out he was actually an offender.
again, maybe. speculation. if

whatever. the whole thing is ridiculous. tweets all deleted now anyway. he’s too easy a target and needs to disengage from trolls. this doesn’t impact how i feel about my purchase in any way. nor does the contributions thing (that’s old news anyway), the twittersphere just making it out to be something it’s not. it’s noise. twitter is noise. this country is a noisy mess. it’s a god damn joke that fb and twitter are of value. they make the national enquirer look like something kronkite-worthy

Re: Elon calling the diver a pedophile

There’s really only two ways this will play out:

1) it turns out to be true (I.e. dirt comes out in a few days supporting the claim)
2) it turns out to be false in which case at some point in the near future Elon will have to apologize publicly and this will be another lesson for him about using Twitter and he’ll almost certainly stop or decrease these types of engagements over Twitter

The fact that he deleted the the tweets suggests that things are falling in line towards #2 (his trusted friends and advisors reaching out to him, etc., behind the scenes) but at the same time he’s not an idiot and I would not be surprised if #1 actually plays out. Stranger things have happened in Elon/Tesla world.

Re: Elon calling the diver a pedophile

There’s really only two ways this will play out:

1) it turns out to be true (I.e. dirt comes out in a few days supporting the claim)
2) it turns out to be false in which case at some point in the near future Elon will have to apologize publicly and this will be another lesson for him about using Twitter and he’ll almost certainly stop or decrease these types of engagements over Twitter

The fact that he deleted the the tweets suggests that things are falling in line towards #2 (his trusted friends and advisors reaching out to him, etc., behind the scenes) but at the same time he’s not an idiot and I would not be surprised if #1 actually plays out. Stranger things have happened in Elon/Tesla world.

Uh there is probably a 0% chance Elon knows if the guy is a pedo. The fact it’s a white British expat living in Thailand makes it a fun assumption to make. One that I would probably do if they told me to stick one of my contributions that I made to try and help, and was asked to help, up my ass.

Reactions: MauryDann
I agree re Elon responding. That said, “pedo” too far to be constructive.. but I have empathy re Elon reacting that way, given the circumstances including that guy’s harsh and vastly misleading remarks being covered by CNN etc

Constructive responses from Elon/Tesla/is to this very apparent, years long, growingly emboldened and widespread campaign,

1) Elon do long form interviews with people who have more than a sound bite interview style... Joe Rogan unofficially agreed to. I’d say add Oprah. No joke. She knows first hand what media campaigns with smearing are like, is curious, and probably the most efficient person on the planet in terms of getting large swaths of the population to open up/realize the conventional narratives re Elon/Tesla are rubbish thrown at them and not be simply dismissed as a conspiracy theorist for making this point (plus, she’s a Tesla owner and her best bud Gayle King genuinely seemed to appreciate Elon).

2) Get other very hard to dismiss voices to speak on behalf of Elon/Tesla’s contribution AND name the massive misinformation work being tossed toward Elon/Tesla and their prodicts... ie, the Sierra Club, other environmental groups, Oprah, Gates, Page, perhaps Ralph Nader...

3) we can be more active where casual Tesla observers are being misinformed (twitter, online article comment sections...) and call out the false narratives with the same advertising campaign style efficiency being used to mislead re Tesla/Elon.

ie, lets be efficient and heard too, I’m thinking stuff like,

#ThankU4Polluting

to wake people up/focus attention on how deep and broadly they have been misinformed. people are not fond of being told falsehoods. if the ball gets rolling with people discussing the campaign that’s been going on involving Tesla for years, I think it will snowball considerably.

The conversation could be “wow, do ever have a pay to play media” rather than “wow is Tesla a mess, selling dangerous cars, led by a PT Barnum Trumpian jerk.”

Last edited:
Uh there is probably a 0% chance Elon knows if the guy is a pedo. The fact it’s a white British expat living in Thailand makes it a fun assumption to make. One that I would probably do if they told me to stick one of my contributions that I made to try and help, and was asked to help, up my ass.

You're probably right but remember that Elon knows more about things than people give him credit for. There was 0% chance he knew anything about building rockets, building cars, digging tunnels, building underwater escape pods, etc., Yet here we are. He could very well have done some investigation about the diver before tweeting that. On the other hand, this might be him reaching his breaking point. Either way, this needs to come to a conclusion and the world moves on.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: MauryDann
This is the the sort of news event that gets cut through to normal people, causing untold damage to Elon’s reputation. And because he has quite deliberately blurred the line between Tesla and himself, this damages the company, everyone that works there and all it’s financial investors.

The media coverage of the Thai rescue received blanket coverage globally. In the Uk there has even been talk about awarding the divers the George Cross, the highest civilian award for bravery. Publicly calling one of these people a peadophile and then doubling down on that? Superficially it’s too easy to portray as him getting angry because someone else got to be the hero.

Been an investor a long time, this is the first time I find myself hesitating about whether Tesla really is the right home for such a significant percentage of my retirement savings. Without its brand and it’s customers’ and employees’ zeal for the mission, in the long term it’s just another car company.