Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Tweeting about Thailand and Reputation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, he didn't. An apology is addressed to the aggrieved party. Hearing that your uncle billing feels bad that he called you a pedo at the last family party is not an apology, is it?
I think this shows at a minimum a willingness on Musk's part to work through this, to fully address the concerns of the aggrieved. Likely that process will happen with lawyers and will mostly remain confidential under an NDA. So I do not expect that there will be any more public statement of apology, unless that is what Mr, Unsworth negotiates as part of settlement. I also do not get the impression that Vern wants to bring much media scrutiny to himself, so he also benefits from settling discretely out of court.

I also do appreciate that Musk has apologized to his investors and supporters. We have all be impaired financially and emotionally by this indiscretion. Speaking for myself as an investor, I prefer that Musk will settle this discretely with Unsworth to minimize any reputational damage to Tesla and shareholders.

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: Zythryn and wipster
Telling someone to stick it where the sun doesn't shine is not a sexual act, come on Elon.

Anyway, he apologized hopefully its over.
Do you have any concept what pedophiles and rapists actually do? Do you understand how sexual harassment works? The mini-sub was clearly being invoked as a penetration device applied to "where it hurts." Moreover the mini-sub was designed to contain a child. (There are already sexualized images of this on Twitter, which I will not post here for their indecency.) This is a case of using language suggestive of sexual assault to agitate and humiliate. This is sexual harassment. Any victim of sexual harassment, Musk included, has a right to defend him- or herself and to seek to resolution.

Glad to see Elon’s apology. It was well-thought-out, articulate and exactly what needed to be said.

Agreed. It seemed like a little bit more of an apology to his companies, but I think that's totally fine. Some people are suggesting that Vernon deserves an even more direct or extensive apology, but I disagree or at least I'd suggest that Vernon owes Elon a direct or extensive apology as well. Was calling Vernon an pedophile a disproportionate response to telling Elon to take his submarine and shove it up somewhere inappropriate? Yes, but not so disproportionate as to require Elon to bend over backwards now. This was a schoolyard fight. It's over. Time to move on.

Reactions: wipster and bhzmark
Agreed. It seemed like a little bit more of an apology to his companies, but I think that's totally fine. Some people are suggesting that Vernon deserves an even more direct or extensive apology, but I disagree or at least I'd suggest that Vernon owes Elon a direct or extensive apology as well. Was calling Vernon an pedophile a disproportionate response to telling Elon to take his submarine and shove it up somewhere inappropriate? Yes, but not so disproportionate as to require Elon to bend over backwards now. This was a schoolyard fight. It's over. Time to move on.
I'd also add that Vernon's snarky attack was unprovoked, unnecessary, and untrue. Elon's apologized for his part in escalating. Now people are deciding whether that is good enough.

Agreed. It is time to move on.

Do you have any concept what pedophiles and rapists actually do? Do you understand how sexual harassment works? The mini-sub was clearly being invoked as a penetration device applied to "where it hurts." Moreover the mini-sub was designed to contain a child. (There are already sexualized images of this on Twitter, which I will not post here for their indecency.) This is a case of using language suggestive of sexual assault to agitate and humiliate. This is sexual harassment. Any victim of sexual harassment, Musk included, has a right to defend him- or herself and to seek to resolution.

Did I really just read the above? A comment that basically boiled down to "You suck Elon" got turned into Elon becoming framed as a sexual assault victim. Wow.

Are you serious? Twitter is a worldwide public platform. Really don't understand what you're carrying on about. Maybe you should worry less about "old school" and catch up with the times.

Next time I get in an argument with my wife, I'll post an apology on TMC. It's a public forum, so she should be able to find it. That'll suffice right?

It was better than the Trump Helsinki walkback, but not much else.

I mean, honestly the apology was terrible. That isnt anti-Elon bias, that is just someone who has seen a good apology before and that one was not that.

A sincere apology should not reference the actions of others, only the regrettable actions of the person apologizing.
Sincere: "Hey, I'm sorry for calling you an idiot in front of everyone. That was totally uncalled for and I won't do it again."
Not so sincere: "Hey, even though you do terrible work and you deserved to be called an idiot, I'm sorry for calling you an idiot in front of everyone. I won't do it again."

See the difference?

Reactions: MauryDann
A sincere apology should not reference the actions of others, only the regrettable actions of the person apologizing.
Sincere: "Hey, I'm sorry for calling you an idiot in front of everyone. That was totally uncalled for and I won't do it again."
Not so sincere: "Hey, even though you do terrible work and you deserved to be called an idiot, I'm sorry for calling you an idiot in front of everyone. I won't do it again."

See the difference?
I think we are agreeing here, calling it an apology is generous. Calling it a good apology is absurd.

Why do you insist on fanning the flames? The more you use the p*** word the worse it gets. I am muting you.
I’m waiting for the honorable Mr. Vernon Unsworth to apologize for his false statements to the press defaming the efforts of the engineers that did what they were requested to do — and his crude insult to Musk.

Let’s see if that happens.

"Stick it where it hurts" is a colloquialism in Britain and many other places as a generic insult. It's the verbal equivalent of giving someone 'the bird' as Americans say. To equate that to rape and pedophilia (which you literally just did) just goes to show how removed from reality some of Musk's apologists have become.

I am genuinely bewildered at your comment - I can only hope it's a very subtle form of sarcasm on your behalf, although I don't know you well enough to make that inference.