Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Right, I don't know anything. My company doesn't have Uber.com as a customer, run part of their infrastructure, and built part of their website. We don't help companies setup datacenters, program their core routers, or setup their monitoring systems. /s

Twitter's code, a lot of it is in PHP. That's non-compiled code that anyone can see how it runs when it loads in a browser or on an app.

Anything else to say, troll?

The fact you think you’re knowledge of uber.com makes you an expert on Twitter just goes to show how out of the water you are in the realm of software engineering. Php is a back end language. You can’t see php code on the front end/browser. Any 2 year code noob could explain that to you. This is a joke. The fact you think that is a good reply pretty much says it all.

Well, and no one likes it (myself included), but that's also not out of the ordinary for Elon.
With many good people you can certainly hold things together.... for a while.. but having been a "boss" for a long time, that's not only a short-term solution, but a shortsighted one too. I'm not saying you agree with it, just that people can only stand so much chaos. And I'm sure Twitter has very talented people who could go anywhere else.

You would not question their motivations? They didn't want to do something until they were forced to?

You don't question VW's motivations for dieselgate and emissions cheating? IIRC Dodge did the same thing as well.
A company’s motivation is to make profits. Anything else is a violation of their fiduciary responsibility. That is the harsh and unfortunate truth.

It’s like when Tesla releases poor build-quality vehicles to their customers. It’s more profitable for them to let the customer discover the faults (and perhaps accept the faults as-is without going through the trouble of getting them repaired) than to hire inspectors and more mechanics, or even to improve the assembly line.

A company’s motivation is to make profits. Anything else is a violation of their fiduciary responsibility. That is the harsh and unfortunate truth.

It’s like when Tesla releases poor build-quality vehicles to their customers. It’s more profitable for them to let the customer discover the faults (and perhaps accept the faults as-is without going through the trouble of getting them repaired) than to hire inspectors and more mechanics, or even to improve the assembly line.

Actually, that's not Tesla's mission statement, and most investors know it. The stated mission statement is to "accelerate the transition to sustainable transport"

2) Elon's fired 75% of the company, and despite the naysayers here and elsewhere, the company hasn't died and in just 2 months has released more features than Twitter had released in 5 years

It's way, way, way too early to say whether his firing of staff has been positive for the company. Frankly, it seemed to happen on a whim, and those features released were most likely years in the making...and also released on a whim.

I'm fairly confident in saying that most of the "changes" Elon has made since acquiring the company will be thrown out, and he'll be forced to hire considerably more people in the very near future.

As I've tweeted to him every time he boasts about "engagements" and "increases in users," that doesn't have an impact on revenue. I use Twitter entirely for free, and with ad-block.

Purchasing Twitter for $44B is a joke, and it will be disastrous for him financially, I'm sorry if you don't agree.

With many good people you can certainly hold things together.... for a while.. but having been a "boss" for a long time, that's not only a short-term solution, but a shortsighted one too. I'm not saying you agree with it, just that people can only stand so much chaos. And I'm sure Twitter has very talented people who could go anywhere else.

Well, there is also the "flushing out" of people that don't agree with Elon and his vision. I would not be surprised to see Twitter headcount grow over time.

But if Elon was as bad as you say, SpaceX and Tesla would not be the top two destinations for engineers, per labor surveys year in and year out.

Sounds like Tesla's software release process. Tesla's SW dev process is like a bunch of grad students working on a research project who push out changes to the UI without even thinking about the consequences of what they're doing. I'm surprised that they managed to actually get the holiday release out this year without breaking anything major.
This is nonsense. Tesla's software update process is pretty amazingly excellent. It is exceedingly rare for them to break anything safety related. And everything else that sometimes breaks is simply not a big deal, at worst an annoyance.

There's a really simple solution if you insist on nothing ever getting worse -- never update.

And there is absolutely no doubt that Tesla could make sure that updates never broke anything. All they would have to do is slow down. But I know of nobody who would be happy if Tesla put out updates at half the pace in order to QA them better. People want their improvements *now*.

And you really never hear people complaining about problems saying that sure it would be fine if all the non-problematical things took months longer to arrive. No. The complainers expect that things will go just as fast, only be somehow better. Ain't gonna happen.

This is how things have been throughout the history of software.

As to Twitter, they're putting stuff out fast and expecting to screw up and have to backtrack. The screw-ups are part of the plan. If they're not screwing up they're moving too slow. Admittedly, some people don't like that. My guess is that they'll be fine with the result when the dust settles, which will be much sooner than the slow and careful way. Of course nobody knows if Twitter will survive until then. But it's clear that's the plan for a while.

Last edited:
Simple question:
Did you read, when Elon bought Twitter, that he said along the lines of "you will see us make many changes, and some will fail, and you will see those failures corrected."?

This is completely in line with his high iterative SW Dev that was used on Paypal and at Tesla. Don't be afraid to fail, even on public facing code.
Calling stupid decisions that dont disrupt fails is dumb. Not to mention just being a right wing troll doesnt nothing to change Twitter, doesnt bring in new revenue streams, doesnt cut costs, doesnt attract talent. Saying Elon has done wonderous thing at Twitter without evidence is just propaganda. Like saying we have gotten rid of the bots then saying a poll was manipulated by bots is well an oxymoron.

Miles Bron is coming to life.

Well, there is also the "flushing out" of people that don't agree with Elon and his vision. I would not be surprised to see Twitter headcount grow over time.

But if Elon was as bad as you say, SpaceX and Tesla would not be the top two destinations for engineers, per labor surveys year in and year out.
Can you find me the labor survey post Twitter offer and takeover? We know in 2020 SpaceX and Tesla were top two destinations. I dont recall seeing 2021 and well you know 2022 isnt even over yet.

If it was an error, fine. I realize the world is not perfect. But then it means that they are pushing out updates without checking their work. Sloppy. All of these "updates" which get quickly reversed suggest a problem. What's the rush?
And people think it is some sort of good idea for Twitter to become sort of financial and payments company.

Reactions: DrGriz
This is nonsense. Tesla's software update process is pretty amazingly excellent. It is exceedingly rare for them to break anything safety related. And everything else that sometimes breaks is simply not a big deal, at worst an annoyance.
Let's see:

- The wiper controls used to be on the bottom of the main screen. I never realized that you could press the button on the stalk to bring up the wiper controls. Then they moved the wiper controls into Controls->Wipers. If, after that update, you didn't realize what they did, and it suddenly started raining, what happens?

- The defrost controls used to be on the bottom of the main screen. Then they moved them into the HVAC menu. If, after that update, you didn't realize what they did, and the windows start fogging, what happens?

- They not only broke the defrost functionality, but they broke it in a way that damages the entire HVAC system and destroys the compressor, because they didn't test this stuff before they pushed it out the door when they were rushing to get last year's holiday update out: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2022/RCLRPT-22V050-2023.PDF

There's a really simple solution if you insist on nothing ever getting worse -- never update.

And there is absolutely no doubt that Tesla could make sure that updates never broke anything. All they would have to do is slow down. But I know of nobody who would be happy if Tesla put out updates at half the pace in order to QA them better. People want their improvements *now*.
What do you think would happen if Boeing suddenly started moving controls around in the cockpit and didn't require pilots to go through training that makes sure they're aware of where the controls moved? And that's if the changes didn't actually cause incidents or crashes.

No, I don't want my improvements now. And I've already decided I'm never installing another update without being fairly certain that no one else is experiencing serious issues after the big cluster that was last year's holiday update, which introduced issues that Tesla did not fix for months. I will not beta test Tesla's software for free.

• Love
Reactions: Black Francis
Actually, that's not Tesla's mission statement, and most investors know it. The stated mission statement is to "accelerate the transition to sustainable transport"
Actually, people who pay attention know that it's now "Accelerating the World's Transition to Sustainable Energy". Says so, right at the top of this web page: About | Tesla

I think you taking a trivial fact and getting it wrong, with CONFIDENCE, says everything we need to know about your posts.

As you said, most [Tesla] investors know Tesla's mission statement. You, however, seem to be living in the past with something that used to be Tesla's mission statement. And then telling other people they're wrong.

• Funny
Reactions: bkp_duke
I will not beta test Tesla's software for free.
Good thing you have that option. Maybe now you'll read the manual, learn how to use the car, and be comfortable that it won't change until you choose to update.

Me, I like the fact that the car keeps getting better, even if bits of it get worse now and then.

I strongly advise against using Twitter for you though, since you'll never know from day to day how that's going to work. Although, so far, for me, it hasn't changed much at all since Elon took over.

• Funny
Reactions: wws and ElectricIAC
It is definitely amazing in the auto industry .... may be average for the tech industry.
Sounds like Tesla's software release process. Tesla's SW dev process is like a bunch of grad students working on a research project who push out changes to the UI without even thinking about the consequences of what they're doing. I'm surprised that they managed to actually get the holiday release out this year without breaking anything major.
Reminds me of when the wise people on the interwebs used to claim nobody tests anything at MSFT .... when we had over 10k people testing Windows.

ps :

I will not beta test Tesla's software for free.
Wait .... do you have FSD Beta ?

Last edited:
This is completely in line with his high iterative SW Dev that was used on Paypal and at Tesla. Don't be afraid to fail, even on public facing code.

There is a difference between developing and testing new ideas that are carefully thought out and making random rash decisions that are immediately shown to be stupid and have to be reversed.

Right. The software industry has come a long way from the early wild-west days of Paypal. There are well established methods now to test and rollout changes so as not to break things (widely).

Seriously .... I've to wonder, how much Elon is stuck in the software world of years ago. Sometimes just using software 101 or Eco 101 (as he told Gerber) is not good enough in 2022.

• Disagree
Reactions: STUtoday
Then, respectfully, we'll agree to disagree.

For me, the proof is in the pudding, so to speak. Twitter is down 75% of their employees, yet the service is up, and by accounts is growing. That does indicate a high degree of overstaffing. They also have pushed out new features, you don't do that if you are understaffed and things are on fire and the company is going down the toilet.

At the end of the day, it only matters if they are getting enough revenue. Accounts don't = $$. Like you stated, we'll both see what happens in 6 months, 1 year, 5 years. If that report is true and 75%? (forgot exact #) aren't paying for ads currently, that's not a good thing no matter how much activity it has. I'm sure you know this as well.

April is a big loan payment due for Musk as well. Leverage buy out hurts on the downside right?

I never said Twitter will be down just because staff are gone and have mentioned that anyone thinking that wasn't realistic. Most/everything is at AWS anyways right?

Still, the morale can't be great there and you had that great hacker tech dude complaining on the call and he couldn't even last his 12 weeks (he lasted 4/5?). So lame.

We'll see how this plays out, but pretty much the first thing I mentioned posting on this thread is what's anyone's motivation to stay there? Why would the best people go there when it's a long slog, bad code base, can get axed anytime, have to go hardcore more and long hours all for what?!#@?! Twitter? Social media?

Maybe someone from recruiting can chime in about all the great candidates that they are getting to help...oh wait, I think they axed all of them. Maybe Elon will just get all his buddies from SpaceX/Tesla to go hardcore there vs. SpaceX/Tesla for a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.