Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@MarcG informed me that the behaviour i was noticing is not new. just that the other lanes one display while in am HOV lane until you come to a legal entrance/exit.

Just to be clear on the behavior: if you try to auto-lane change into an adjacent lane, and the lane markings between your current and target lanes are solid (at least on your side) at the time you signal, it won't work. If it's a dotted line, it works.

I have seen instances where there are 2 lines dividing the lanes instead of one, and the dotted one is on the side of your current lane (other one is solid), and auto lane change worked - I was pretty impressed! Haven't tested on 8.1 yet though, but I doubt the behavior changed.

Just to be clear on the behavior: if you try to auto-lane change into an adjacent lane, and the lane markings between your current and target lanes are solid (at least on your side) at the time you signal, it won't work. If it's a dotted line, it works.

I have seen instances where there are 2 lines dividing the lanes instead of one, and the dotted one is on the side of your current lane (other one is solid), and auto lane change worked - I was pretty impressed! Haven't tested on 8.1 yet though, but I doubt the behavior changed.

i never actually attempted an auto-lane change. i just noticed that the number 1 lane marlings only appeared in the dash when a legal exit was passed. the car showed cars in the number 1 lane, but not the lane line. the second the legal entrance appeared the dash lane mark would display. happend at each of the 5 entrance/exits on my commute.

Based on my unscientific observations (that most people in the USA have no idea or don't care that a solid white line means do not change lanes over it) this will likely be reported as a "bug" to Tesla many times...

... a solid white line means do not change lanes over it ...

Not necessarily correct. See here: Can you cross a solid white line on a California road? – The Mercury News Specifically: "The cumbersome California Vehicle Code does not specifically mention white solid lines, so some agencies refer to the California Department of Transportation’s traffic manual, the state’s official guide to proper driving behavior. It says that while “crossing the line is discouraged” because it may be unsafe, it is permitted. In fact, California is one of just a few states where this is allowed."

What is up with the HOV lanes that makes it interesting? I hate the way AP1 with 8.0 handles HOVs, and found to be more reliable with a normal lane. If traffic is light enough, I get out of the HOV to allow for a smoother ride and less on & off of AP.

At least for me, I find lane detection far worse than 7.x auto-pilot. 8.1 maybe marginally better than 8.0. The long awaited update has been a disappointment so far. At least they fix the bluetooth connection issue.

My Nav screen is heavily pixelated now i.e 1/3 to 1/2 of the screen is a bunch of grey boxes instead of the whole map!
This has happened to me upon occasion for months across multiple code drops. Sometimes a reboot of the CID will clear it up, other times, it mysteriously corrects itself over time. I have less issues when I run in "line mode" in lieu of "satellite view".

At one point months ago, we traced this temporary problem to a Google Map Server outage, and I bet if the MS lost cell connectivity, we'd see the same issue with grey boxes since the CID has no data to populate itself. Beyond those couple of low-probability situations, like many of the USB issues discussed elsewhere, I suspect there are issues with the CID being over-taxed processor and/or memory-wise and the lower-priority map display just has trouble keeping up at times depending what else the CID may be doing unbeknownst to us.

17.14.23 release notes. Not sure why folks are saying they didnt get anything and there are no changes, there def are.
Not dl'd at service center, regular OTA update.

Attachments

• IMG_1029.JPG
    IMG_1029.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 98
17.14.23 release notes. Not sure why folks are saying they didnt get anything and there are no changes, there def are.
Not dl'd at service center, regular OTA update.
People who are saying there are no changes mean that they didn't get any changes from their previous release(s). Many already received those same changes/release notes in 17.11.3 or 17.11.10. These two previous versions included the same release notes that you show in 17.14.23. I saw those same release notes when my car got 17.11.3 two weeks ago. It sounds like you were still stuck on an older version so these features are "new to you" but they aren't new to those who already received an earlier 8.1 release.

Appreciate the discussion. Thx.

My MS does switch from WiFi to Cell somewhere towards the end of my driveway, but I too don't see that as a real consideration with Homelink sometimes failing. Nothing I'm my WiFi network changed around the same time as I received 8.1.

If Tesla is logging or has changed something under the covers that is impacting Homelink and/or related GPS it is dependent on with 8.1, I consider that a bug, since it's not something I have control over and it made Homelink less reliable from 8.0 to 8.1.

I also don't have any aftermarket LEDs that would be on when I'm moving, so that idea is out ...but GREAT thought!

More ideas? :)
Couple of things I noticed today. First of all Homelink doesn't trigger when I back out of the garage if I sit around too long in there. I have to press the Homelink icon to shut it. Not sure if that's new to 8.1 or not. Second, I switched over to those Amazon LED lights posted upthread and didn't notice any difference but when coming home the door fails much less if I come in hot than if I'm coasting in which makes me think the signal is inconsistent. Not sure.

• Informative
Reactions: skialpine and BertL
Couple of things I noticed today. First of all Homelink doesn't trigger when I back out of the garage if I sit around too long in there. ....

my guess would be that the bug where the system gets the distance wrong going backwards is the issue ... it seems that they think that negative distance does not exist. You can prove it to yourself if you can get to a spot where the homelink notif that it will open in x appears and back in towards your garage from there, you will notice that the distance increases as you get closer ... this bug has been around for a long time and they don't seem to be in a hurry to fix it.

my guess would be that the bug where the system gets the distance wrong going backwards is the issue ... it seems that they think that negative distance does not exist. You can prove it to yourself if you can get to a spot where the homelink notif that it will open in x appears and back in towards your garage from there, you will notice that the distance increases as you get closer ... this bug has been around for a long time and they don't seem to be in a hurry to fix it.
What it "feels" like is there's a timer based on when the fob unlocks the doors or from when my butt hits the seat because it works perfectly every time if I just get in a back out right away. Not sure but it feels new since 8.1.