Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Public Megacharger Installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems silly to have to park your Trailer and down jack it. Then charge the truck and have to hook back up to the Trailer. I see the chance of Trailers being blocked if you have several Trucks with Trailers pulling in to charge.

Yeah, there's *no way* drivers are going to want to drop their trailers just to refuel. That's not how it works with ICE, zero reason to make it more difficult with an EV. Must be temporary.

Reactions: kayak1
It looks like the Tesla Semi is going to get a few more charge stations soon.

Tesla plans 9 electric semitruck charging stations between California and Texas

Map from Electrek article
Screenshot 2023-08-01 at 10.38.52 PM.png

According to Google Maps Laredo to Giga Texas is 248 miles via I-35 and from Laredo to Giga Mexico is about 145-150 miles.

Just down the road from Giga Mexico is the Stellantis FCA Saltillo Truck Assembly Plant that makes RAM Heavy Duty Trucks.
Screenshot 2023-08-01 at 10.56.02 PM.png

Reactions: KJD
So those would tie the California Tesla plants to Texas. A logical "phase 2" would be to tie Texas to the New York factory. Then "phase 3" from NY directly back to California? Would make much more sense than the first Supercharger corridor across the US did. (E.g., following a route Elon took on a vacation ages ago.)

A logical "phase 2" would be to tie Texas to the New York factory. Then "phase 3" from NY directly back to California? Would make much more sense than the first Supercharger corridor across the US did. (E.g., following a route Elon took on a vacation ages ago.)
I'm not sure why you need to link the New York Tesla factory with the Fremont and Texas ones. My understanding is that they primarily make solar and Supercharger related items there. Both of which can get shipped directly to the end location. Maybe I missed something, and it produces items required by the other factories...

I would think next phases would likely be tied to the routes that the customers buying Tesla Semis want to service.

I'm not sure why you need to link the New York Tesla factory with the Fremont and Texas ones. My understanding is that they primarily make solar and Supercharger related items there. Both of which can get shipped directly to the end location. Maybe I missed something, and it produces items required by the other factories...

I would think next phases would likely be tied to the routes that the customers buying Tesla Semis want to service.

Just musing over how Tesla will extend this first major step eastward all the way to the east coast. Another possibility might be to extend it from Texas to Florida for SpaceX shipments to the Cape?

I was guessing that the next route would be to connect Reno and Fremont.

Anyhow glad to see this first step with 9 stations and it will be interesting to see how long it takes to build these and start using them.

Will Tesla outfit the Semis with beds so drivers can sleep when they hit their mandatory rest periods? Hopefully Tesla puts the chargers near Truck Stops so drivers can get Showers and Food.
Not on the current versions, they are day cab one, not used for long hauls. We have heard that there are plans for a sleeper cab variant in the future. (Maybe about the time they finish building the charging for the ~2,000 mile route.)

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Will Tesla outfit the Semis with beds so drivers can sleep when they hit their mandatory rest periods?
Very good question. Hopefully there will be some information about this the closer it gets to actually constructing the planned route of Megachargers.
Hopefully Tesla puts the chargers near Truck Stops so drivers can get Showers and Food.

Just looking at the a few locations where the Megachargers are scheduled to be like Sparks, TX, Fort Stockton and Laredo it would seem likely that Tesla would get with Flying J and other truck stops like Pilot(San Simon, AZ only has one truck stop, Pilot) and work out a deal for their Megachargers similar to the Buc-cee's locations with their superchargers. Actually, most likely Tesla already has contacted them.

Reactions: kayak1