Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fob Battery Life

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought my Model S Plaid a little over two years ago, and it came with 2 fobs which I use. It seems that every 6 months or so, I get the message on the dash display that my fob battery is low. I usually replace the battery right away, although once I forgot about it and sure enough my fob stopped working. I have had other vehicles with fobs whose batteries seemed to last about 3 years. Does a 6 month battery life sound too short for the Model S?

As the original poster, I must say that I did a search and did not find any posts on this for the refreshed model s in the whole first page of posts on this forum. I do not consider zero posts as something that was 'covered extensively'. But thanks for replying.

I do not use the fobs on my Plaid (love the phone key!). On my '17 S I did have 1 of my 2 fobs die very quickly, time after time. I just ended up clearing the fault with a new battery, getting out of range and then pulling the battery. If you need both fobs then I'm guessing you'll need to buy a new one?

Edit- are both fobs dying? I've heard that sometimes they are too close to the car and stay 'awake'. Mine were close (on the '17, but only 1 had issues). Maybe the sensitivity was different between the 2?

As the original poster, I must say that I did a search and did not find any posts on this for the refreshed model s in the whole first page of posts on this forum. I do not consider zero posts as something that was 'covered extensively'. But thanks for replying.
The whole first page goes back about a week. This forum has been around for years. Lots of good info on many topics. Scrolling the first page isn't the same as using the search function.

I know this topic has been discussed as nauseum because I even wrote a lengthy post with lots of pro tips on this very topic. Zero posts? Hardly.

Do you honestly think you're the first person even to ask about key fob batteries?