Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does test drive work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So how exactly does a Tesla test drive work? They have a page on their website where you can request a test drive, but it offers no details on how it actually works. Do they bring one to your house? Do you have to drive to a store? (nearest one to me in almost 400 miles away) I'm seriously considering a M3 Performance, but I would like to actually drive one in person before I put a deposit down on a $63,000 car.

If it were me, I would plan two weekends for this. Call the store to see what they have for demo. Even if they dont have a performance version available, I would still go. They will definitely have a dual motor version. It will definitely give you an idea of what you can expect from the performance one. If you decide to order it but still have doubts, get it ordered to the store. Plan the 2nd weekend when the delivery happens. Take it for a test drive. drive the whole weekend and in case you dont like it, return it back. Most probably you will be driving back home in it.
Other than this, one serious concern for me would be : should I get the car given the service center is so far away. I am not saying it is a bad car, but all the good things aside, if I were unfortunate to have to visit the service center, it will be a big hassle for me. Maybe somebody in a similar situation will chime in with more inputs.

Reactions: alexGS
Check with your electric company if they are sponsoring an EV day near you. This is how I test drove a few EV and was convinced on the Tesla after driving an S. I made an appointment at a store and drove the M3 dual AWD and am in the process of getting ready to order.

My concern would be the SC being so far away.

• Love
Reactions: RScottyL and GreenT
IMO there should be a federal law that mandates that all car "showrooms" include service.
Is Tesla the only company that doesn't bother?
400 miles away is unacceptable.
But sadly when you have one close by ... it doesn't mean it's any good.
It's Tesla's downfall. That and communications.

IMO there should be a federal law that mandates that all car "showrooms" include service.

Actually, it's usually laws that are the reason Tesla doesn't.

There are a lot of states with inconvenient rules about what a car manufacturer is permitted to do - laws created and lobbied for by your friendly neighborhood franchised car dealership to ensure they had a clear playing field.

Some states Tesla can't sell in at all, some they can have galleries as long as they don't sell or service cars in them, some they are permitted a specific number of locations.

Reactions: TT97
I just want to add that I am about a 4 hour drive from my nearest service center. I've had the car a year and I've had no issues causing me to go back to the service center. I've had one mobile ranger call to address a minor issue, but my car has been great. My point is don't let the distance to the SC dissuade you from getting an amazing car. Yes, some people have more issues, but many people have none.

• Disagree
Reactions: alexGS and GreenT
I believe it's called free market. But many states, at the request of their dealer monopolies, are trying to keep Tesla out.

I guess the law should also say that every employee needs to be helpful, courteous, and friendly.

“There should be a law” sigh...there are already too many laws.

“Tesla’s downfall”. Yeah, they are really tumbling!

• Disagree
Reactions: GreenT

I don't understand how that would help? Tesla has more "showrooms" than service centers. If they need to have an SC everywhere they placed a showroom, they would end up with even less showrooms and would pretty much exclude them from any mall.

I know Hyundai started imitating Tesla with showrooms at malls for the Stinger (their stores almost look like a Tesla showroom). I think it is Hyundai and not the dealers that created the stores, naturally, no service centers associated with the showroom.

I just want to add that I am about a 4 hour drive from my nearest service center. I've had the car a year and I've had no issues causing me to go back to the service center. I've had one mobile ranger call to address a minor issue, but my car has been great. My point is don't let the distance to the SC dissuade you from getting an amazing car. Yes, some people have more issues, but many people have none.

Just a small point - I am more concerned about the day if/when I get into an accident. I had gotten into one with all my previous cars, some at fault, some no fault of mine. Some repairs needed major body work, some I just lived with them. My SC is a half hour away, and so far my wait time for an appointment has been 2 weeks, nothing major. But every time a car comes real close to my M3, I always move away, park at the far end of parking lots, dont drive in the passing lanes, last person in a line of cars on the highways.. :) I should say I became a much safer driver

Reactions: alexGS
Before I got rid of my car (then went from being a LOVE to a LIABILITY) I had to drive 2 hours to SC.
My neighbors laughed when they saw the tow truck also show up monthly.

Naples, FL, for example, has a showroom but are not allowed to legally touch a car. They towed mine to Miami.

After the local shopping mall "cop" threatened, that if I didn't move the (dead) car within 10 minutes, he'd have it towed. GREAT atmosphere!

This should be common sense! Not just a law.

Living in Europe, I discover the same thing. Those living in Monaco have to go to Aix (en Provence)! And in Paris they'll gladly sell you one from "Madeleine" but force you to drive an hour west for service.

When they improve service, maybe many of us will rejoin the ranks.

And as pk44FG notes ... if you get in an accident ... good luck.

When they improve service, maybe many of us will rejoin the ranks.
You need to understand how free market is supposed to work and why there doesn't need, not should there, be a law for every little thing. If Tesla's lack of service centers is enough to prevent you and others from being an owner then that is on them and it is up to them to recognize it, prioritize it, and then get it corrected when it is practical for them to do so. Also, as mentioned above, there are many states where Tesla isn't allowed to sell at all or can only have a limited number of showrooms.

Reactions: GreenT
So how exactly does a Tesla test drive work? They have a page on their website where you can request a test drive, but it offers no details on how it actually works. Do they bring one to your house? Do you have to drive to a store? (nearest one to me in almost 400 miles away) I'm seriously considering a M3 Performance, but I would like to actually drive one in person before I put a deposit down on a $63,000 car.

Depending on the exact reason you are getting the Performance, don't forget about this to help you save some money:

Tesla now offers Model 3 Performance for less than $50,000 by unbundling features - Electrek

Check with your electric company if they are sponsoring an EV day near you. This is how I test drove a few EV and was convinced on the Tesla after driving an S. I made an appointment at a store and drove the M3 dual AWD and am in the process of getting ready to order.

My concern would be the SC being so far away.

I actually went to one of these a couple weekends ago. I did drive an M3, but it was the standard RWD version and it belonged to a regular person who left it in "chill" so I didn't really get to feel that rush of speed.

There is a service center in Reno about 30 miles from me, but it's just a service center not a "store". The nearest "store" is in the bay area CA which is about 400 miles away.

Do they do test drives at the service centers?
They might do sales there. There is a service center in Denver that also does sales, which I had no idea about until I showed up to pick up my car on delivery day. Maybe someone who's in the Reno/Tahoe area knows what's at that Reno location better. Or you could try to call the service center and see if you can get someone on the phone.

Totally understandable. I put a reservation down on my Model 3 without driving one (at that time no test drive cars were available) and because the car's interior was so different from our Model S was a bit nervous about it. BTW I we attended a Tesla group meet up of owners in Kettleman City around that time and one of the Model 3 owners there was offering test rides to people there. While it was brief it did put my mind at ease and then later I was able to get test drive at a store when cars were made available.

There is a Tesla store in Las Vegas. They have a button to click to schedule a test drive. The Tesla charging map also shows mobile service available. In Nevada the map also shows a Service Center at the Reno-Virginia Street location in Reno. Here's a useful map from their charging area of the website. I use it frequently to look up Superchargers, stores and destination chargers (also Service Centers). If you zoom in on Vegas you'll see the Store there, click on it to get to the Schedule a Test Drive. Find Us | Tesla

Don't know if this would be helpful or not but there are a number of Supercharger locations through Nevada. Are you near any of them? I have always found Tesla owners at Superchargers to be helpful with questions you have.

Last edited: