Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I should have posted this earlier, please be wary of Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A heads up really...

I was travelling on the A33 from Reading to Basingstoke last week. Along one of the single carriageway sections with no pavement a guy was walking along the road towards me. I slightly, but safely, straddled the central line to avoid him (oncoming traffic too) and ELDA tried to steer me back into the guy! Thankfully I had a good grip on the wheel and fought it.

It isn't a feature that stays off if you turn it off.

So yeah, on our little A roads it can make some questionable calls, within a week of ownership it tried to take "corrective" action that could have killed a guy.

I had a similar issue yesterday where the car attempted to autocorrect me *back* into what I perceived as the danger.
I had thought I could turn the whole 'departure assist' thing off. Is this not possible then? (bit scary if true).
The one that does this is the Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance on/off toggle below the standard Lane Departure Avoidance setting. It turns itself back on with every drive :(

Its a safety function so why not keep it on? Especially for long trip in case you get tired or distracted. I wonder if it will swerve back out when it senses the pedestrian. Not that you should check out but I wonder. Did you get a picture of a person on the screen ie did it sense the pedestrian?

Its a safety function so why not keep it on? Especially for long trip in case you get tired or distracted. I wonder if it will swerve back out when it senses the pedestrian. Not that you should check out but I wonder. Did you get a picture of a person on the screen ie did it sense the pedestrian?
Purely because within a week of ownership it kicked in once, and on that one occasion was trying hard to kill someone. Personally, I'd like the car to only ever take the wheel when I've asked it to.

I couldn't look at the screen to say, maybe, but I was trying not to kill the guy :D