Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Idiot trying to unplug my car during Supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As far as I understand, there are 12 chargers working together in a Supercharger each capable of aprox 12 kW. They switch in groups of three because of three phase grid supply. The second car gets the minimum (3 chargers) which is 36 kW. Could be a little less in reality depending on voltage, temperature and other things. The first car would still get 108 kW.

I capture the data at a Supercharger recently that shows how they switch 36 kW steps which is 3 chargers on 3 phases.
how paring at Supercharging works
That rings a bell, I reckon you’re right. Basically small impact possible to first car, but not worth worrying about.

Pulled into my local mall where there's 12 SC for a pair of dress shoes yesterday evening. Backed into 5A at 58%, found out my friend was in 5B (recognized his license plates) . 4B was empty (but I didn't want to piss 4A Tesla off) . Later received phone notification that charging was interrupted at 65%, but resumed itself after 30 seconds. Figured may have been a brownout since the almost all SCs were occupied.

I didn't think any of it until this morning when I looked at my BlackVue footage, and this is what I found. This guy had no reason to be near my car much less trying to unplug it.

Curious or just plain malicious ? I failed the fathom the lack of decency in some people ... seriously ...

Was you
Pressing the button interrupts the charging, the ring will turn blue for a moment while the charging is reset, then, only if charging restarts, it will begin flashing green again.

Here's the problem with this, however:

1. You are messing with someone else's vehicle before you even know the status of their vehicle.
2. This could unnecessarily concern someone to return to the station when not required to.
3. If you do this at anything other than a Tesla Supercharger, or Tesla HPWC, you run a high risk of the charging not resuming.
4. I really don't think anyone can determine the exact SOC based off of the flash rate. It is just not that finite of a difference.
5. Even if you could determine their exact SOC based on the flash rate, who are we to decide that they have received their fair rations and should move? Again, we don't know their specific situation.

Trust me, I do see both sides of this. And if I were in very bad situation, and I had already checked PlugShare, and there were no other charging options, and I couldn't locate the owners, then maybe I would resort to this, but only in an emergency.

You’re missing the big one. It resets the priority between A/B. If you’re in A and you got there first, and then shortly thereafter B arrives, with both cars at low SOCs, A will get a greater share of available power. By briefly pushing the button on A, B now has priority.

Reactions: .jg.
You’re missing the big one. It resets the priority between A/B. If you’re in A and you got there first, and then shortly thereafter B arrives, with both cars at low SOCs, A will get a greater share of available power. By briefly pushing the button on A, B now has priority.
I was going to put that, but I haven't tried it myself, so I didn't want to state it as fact just yet. Gotta get one of my buddies to go play with this while we're both at similar low SOC and check it out! :D

Good catch with the dashcam video. It takes time to go through those 1-minute clips. At least they fixed their app so that copies to internal storage (and then to the phone or elsewhere) are quite quick now.

This is why I leave the rear camera view on when I'm in the car while charging; you never know what failed Darwinian experiment is going to wander by. Could be 1 in 1000 but that's all it takes.

Yeah, it appears that either he was too lazy to walk around *or* was trying a Richard move to prioritize his charge. I'd call it an 80/20 shot as he didn't look that bright.

Does nobody read a thread before responding? It's only 3 pages in this case.

Reactions: scaesare
Does nobody read a thread before responding? It's only 3 pages in this case.
i-like-turtles_20080521185212.jpg

Good catch with the dashcam video. It takes time to go through those 1-minute clips. At least they fixed their app so that copies to internal storage (and then to the phone or elsewhere) are quite quick now.

This is why I leave the rear camera view on when I'm in the car while charging; you never know what failed Darwinian experiment is going to wander by. Could be 1 in 1000 but that's all it takes.

Yeah, it appears that either he was too lazy to walk around *or* was trying a Richard move to prioritize his charge. I'd call it an 80/20 shot as he didn't look that bright.

I use TeslaFi which timestamps every single charging session (and interruption), which has saved me loads of time scrubbing through footage.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
I watch this guys youtube videos. He seems like a very nice guy and I like his videos. But in this video he "kind of" does the same thing and he explains why. Not sure it makes sense. But since I have been following this thread it really caught my eye. I am curious what others here think.

BTW... He is Canadian :).

at 14:33 - he says pulsing slow and he can tell it is not taking much charge because of that and because of what his car is doing.

I watch this guys youtube videos. He seems like a very nice guy and I like his videos. But in this video he "kind of" does the same thing and he explains why. Not sure it makes sense. But since I have been following this thread it really caught my eye. I am curious what others here think.

BTW... He is Canadian :).

at 14:33 - he says pulsing slow and he can tell it is not taking much charge because of that and because of what his car is doing.

What he says about inferring from the rate of car of his X only works if you are certain about how the stalls are paired up. Since there are two different pairing schemes in use, I'm not sure how you can be certain of that.
As for all of the "don't touch my car" comments, since when do you own the SC itself? I agree that messing with someone's charge unnecessarily is bad, but if you're sitting there fully charged taking up a spot that someone else needs getting the SC system to send you a "wake up" message doesn't seem out of line.

Reactions: daktari