Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Legacy S Camera Upgrade - (Lost Features) (FSD)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only reason to get this upgrade is to get to a hardware configuration that supports FSD. But you don’t want to upgrade your software so you’re clearly not getting/using FSD.

Why bother?

Theres no mandate for a software update to support the new cameras. It’s just a config change in the gateway. Mobile service did my camera upgrade and I don’t remember a software update. But any time you’ve got them fiddling around in there it’s a risk. If it’s that important to you to not update the software, then I’d not risk it for a hardware upgrade that gets you literally nothing.
I am a new 2017 model S owner. The previous owner told me that the cameras were upgraded in March 2022 by Tesla to support FSD. However, the front view image is not as hi-definition as the side and rear cameras. So I am wondering if the front cameras were upgraded. The car has FSD v12.3.5 and it is working. Do you know if your front cameras are upgraded? Is your front image the same definition as the sides and rear?

I upgraded my front camera myself. The picture has better colors than the original red/grey, and clearer, but honestly, the picture is still crap, and amazing thats what is being used for FSD. The backup camera level would have been the minimum i'd have thought they would have used.
If you think thats bad, here is what Autopilot 1 sees.....

Attachments

• 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    373.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 6.PNG
    6.PNG
    493.9 KB · Views: 3
I upgraded my front camera myself. The picture has better colors than the original red/grey, and clearer, but honestly, the picture is still crap, and amazing thats what is being used for FSD...
While it may have changed, FSD in the past has used far less camera resolution for the neural network - perhaps in the order of 1/8 what you see in the captured video, as higher resolution wasn't needed (and the hardware couldn't handle it). In the past, it also uses software controlled areas of higher resolution for sign reading and perhaps other special cases. The primary camera changes from HW2 to 2.5/3 for better low-light sensitivity and going to full color. HW4 increased the camera resolution and included a hardware performance boost to deal with the higher resolution.

I am a new 2017 model S owner. The previous owner told me that the cameras were upgraded in March 2022 by Tesla to support FSD. However, the front view image is not as hi-definition as the side and rear cameras. So I am wondering if the front cameras were upgraded. The car has FSD v12.3.5 and it is working. Do you know if your front cameras are upgraded? Is your front image the same definition as the sides and rear?
I believe that the car won't let you use FSD unless all the cameras are upgraded. At least, that's what I've heard from people on other posts. So I assume your front camera(s) got upgraded with the rest of them.

I have a 2017 MS currently with AP2.0 and EAP but I didn't pay for FSD. If I upgrade to MCU2/AP3.0 now, will I get the camera upgrade for free? Or do I need to have purchased FSD for that to be free of charge?
My understanding is you need full FSD to get the free camera upgrade. I got the free camera upgrade in my 2016 S, but I had bought FSD too.

I upgraded my front camera myself. The picture has better colors than the original red/grey, and clearer, but honestly, the picture is still crap, and amazing thats what is being used for FSD. The backup camera level would have been the minimum i'd have thought they would have used.
If you think thats bad, here is what Autopilot 1 sees.....
Hello

Can you please list the part numbers of cameras that are needed to be upgraded? And can they all be done by ourselves?