Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

loose seat belt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2017 Mx with a rear passenger seatbelt that doesn’t retract fully into the top of the seat. When not in use it just dangles a bit, about 3 inches. The seatbelt seems to work fine when in use but I’m not sure if it’s a safety concern. Does anyone have insight on this?

After I picked up my used Model X last fall, I had a similar issue.

What I did to remedy it was...wash the seat belt. It sounds kinda' silly, I know. But it 100% worked.

1. Get a bucket of warm soapy water
2. Put a towel or three down on the seat
3. Fully extend the seatbelt, and dunk into the bucket
4. Start squeezing the seatbelt, trying to fully saturate and get out any oils/dirt that it will likely have in it - You'll likely see the discloration of the water as you go
5. You way want to use a microfiber cloth or a light scouring pad if you have any spots/stains
6. Dump and rinse bucket - Fill w/ clean water
7. Repeat process, trying to ensure any soap and residue left behind is out of the belt
8. Let 'er dry!

Depending on how bad it is, letting the belt try and retract a few times during the wash phase may help clean off the mechanisms inside, but could cause staining to the belt (unlikely).

You may want to use a clean vice-grips, some clothespins or clamps to hold the seatbelt in a fully extended position

This is all I did - Took 10 mins, and my seatbelt has worked perfectly since!

Upvote 0