Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LTE connection interrupts by crossing borders in EU

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all, couldn't find this info in related threads, so asking here. As I'm always consistently losing Internet connection while crossing borders in EU, I'm just wondering whether there's any solution to this issue? The connection can be always retrieved by restarting the MCU, but it takes quite long time and is therefore annoying. Thanks a lot for any input!

Reactions: fc12
Had a chat about it with a Tesla service technician because I have the same issue, living in a European border area.
Known problem, no solution according to the technician.
Every modern smartphone reconnects in a few minutes when roaming, but not the car’s LTE modem.

I personally think the LTE modem roaming level treshold is way to low, so the car tries to stick/reconnect to the last known 4G network during a very long time.
Of course this is only a EU problem, since you don’t have this in the US.

If Tesla controls the firmware of the modem, this should be fixable with a software update IMO.
But if it’s a third-party modem and firmware/hardware is not controlled by Tesla, this could be and remain an issue.

An option is connecting to the hotspot of your phone before you start driving, but it’s not very practical as permanent solution.
Especially if you have premium connectivity like I do…

Hi, thanks a lot for your explanation, this makes it pretty clear.. Yes, I have free connectivity, but also MCU1, so the data transfer isn't maybe that high while only navigating + some music. So probably every user with this old LTE modem is restarting when crossing the borders? I'm sorry for you as you probably do it quite often, that's fortunately not my case. But anyway, thanks once again!