Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
- No signals in roundabout but not sure if that’s illegal.
- On a flashing green arrow or light the car starts and stops in sync with the flashing. It’s hilarious. Takes a long time to get thru an intersection.
- Legality of signals in roundabouts almost certainly varies by jurisdiction, but FSDB was almost certainly doing it wrong for any jurisdiction, and no signals is probably better than bad signals considering either one could theoretically get you a warning or ticket in some jurisdictions.
- Figuring out the 8 flashes and laughing about it while not impeding traffic is well and good, but on the off chance that you don't already know this, you can use the accelerator here to override without disengaging.
Those have been the primary safety areas but there are also numerous 'comfort' issues for me. It takes off like a jack rabbit (I have always used 'Chill'). Enough so that it will overshoot a 25mph speed limit and have to decelerate back down. I think I've also had it happen on a 35mph limit. I understand and think it should do things like that in emergency situations but not in the normal course of resuming from a stop.

On the flip side it was running up to a stop and then jamming on the brakes. By that I mean (this was my initial V12 : 3.3) the car would not slow down until almost at a light or stop sign and then brake hard. Hard enough that in the first few days I never saw a stop that did not use the physical brakes (as determined by the bar going in to the gray area). I did fix that by turning off the setting that allows physical braking and the result is much better stopping.
Yeah, these things drive me nuts about it. Not enough customization options IMO, but you'd think Tesla would target efficiency at least a little bit especially vs "drive it like you stole it."
All that said though, I'll stick with my perception that the physical braking is not happening with the switch off and more importantly to my oroginal point that the stopping is more comfortable. It only helps that my percenption and understanding matches the official documentation from the manufacturer.
Time to stop arguing. I'll continue to believe the manufacturere's word for this which also matches my experience.
Seriously? Where in the manufacturers documentation does it say you have any control over FSD's use of the brakes? You showed a section of the manual that specifically describes how regen behaves. Regen is a thing the vehicle does when the driver releases the accelerator. FSD is a driver, it can and will brake whenever and however it wants. This doesn't mean that the regen setting isn't affecting how the vehicle slows down since FSD can and will reduce acceleration whenever and however it wants as well, but even if you do feel a difference, you're not controlling FSD, you're controlling the vehicle to compensate for its poor driving.
@Webeevdrivers I had an experience on FSD v12.3.6 that I think you will appreciate: At a four way stop it came to a stop, then started to proceed, stop, start, stop, start, etc. At first I couldn't see what was causing the problem, but then I looked up and saw a flashing red light, which it was going in sync to. (I think trees were blocking my view of the red light as we came up to the stop.) I disengaged and reported it.

Weirdly I went through three more intersections with the same setup and it did just fine. (But none of them had trees blocking the flashing light from a distance.)
There is a four way stop I (rarely) drive through that used to be a light controlled intersection. There are stop signs on the intersection, but the traffic control lights are still hanging and all four always flash red. SFSD 12.3.6 stops for the sign as expected, effectively ignoring the lights like it should, but then stops repeatedly as the lights flash after proceeding from the stop sign. At least it doesn't slow down for flashing yellow lights on warning signs anymore.