Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU Upgrade - Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No word yet. Was just at the Vancouver service center last week, and won't likely have this available until later in the year once US starts to get going on their order (friend is a service advisor there, and this is what the on-site engineer advised)

• Informative
Reactions: Corsair
No word yet. Was just at the Vancouver service center last week, and won't likely have this available until later in the year once US starts to get going on their order (friend is a service advisor there, and this is what the on-site engineer advised)
Any idea if AP1 cars are eligbile for the upgrade? I've read in the Model S forum a bunch of guys (in the US), have done the upgrade, with good results, but as best as I can tell, they were almost all AP2 cars.

Still not available yet, although my local Ranger is staying on top of it.

At a guess, I’d say AP1 cars could get the MCU2 upgrade, but I’d question if it’s worth it.
Depends how long you gonna keep your car, they will keep updating software to utilize all cameras, so able to view videos on the mcu will be essential:
1. View dashcam recording, especially when there is sentry alert, you can check right away
2. Two side repeaters now can be viewed along with rear camera

I'm keeping my S for another 10 years, so it worth for me. As for FM radio, Tunein has all the stations which I'm listening to, so all good!

Last edited:
Depends how long you gonna keep your car, they will keep updating software to utilize all cameras, so able to view videos on the mcu will be essential:
1. View dashcam recording, especially when there is sentry alert, you can check right away
2. Two side repeaters now can be viewed along with rear camera

I'm keeping my S for another 10 years, so it worth for me. As for FM radio, Tunein has all the stations which I'm listening to, so all good!
The OP's question was specifically for AP1 cars, which means none of what you mentioned above is applicable as all that is for AP2 and above (dashcarm, side repeaters etc).

I agree with @Struja - its definitely not worth upgrading an AP1/MCU1 car to MCU2 as the only benefit is a faster browser, faster display in general and Netflix and games. I find MCU1 slow, but not slow enough to cause any problems. If I had AP2 on the other hand, it would definitely be worth it.

FSD Upgrade.png

4 grand is pretty steep. Probably hold on to my extra shekels until I either get a new Model S or another electric if there is anything comparable in a few years.

I agree. But these older MCU vehicles new were 130-220k CDN. So if you look at it that way it's not much at all. If you purchased the vehicle used and paid 40-60K for the car, it might be a tough pill to swallow.