Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Already Has WiFi Support

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

kbecks13

Dec 27, 2017
SoCal
Today i found out that the Model 3 already supports WiFi but you need to be at a service center for it to happen :)

I mention this not as a joke (well, sorta) but because it implies that Tesla has already done much of the software work for enabling WiFi on the Model 3 and hopefully we will get it in a software update in the near future. I noticed this was happening after seeing the regular LTE vertical bars turn into a "radial" style signal strength meter at the service center, which i've never seen before.

My 3 would not connect to my phone app except by bluetooth. I checked the car for a wifi indicator, not there. Phone would not connect from in the house through cell service, the connection indicator would spin until it would say something about wifi and quit.

Then I pushed the button on the wifi to reset it. Went out to car. Still no wifi indicator. Came back in to house, called up Tesla app, and Bingo, immediate connection. First time from inside house. Faster than bluetooth when I'm in garage.

Yeah, I suspect you all knew this already. I'm old. But I futz my way through, and it works. Makes me feel good.

Heh, I hadn't thought of using the Service Center wifi login as my guest wifi at home.

But it is true, the car does attach to the Tesla wifi.

Hasn't been an issue so I'm not going to bother, but that is an interesting workaround if LTE service is non-existent at home.

Should I be able to connect my Model 3 to my home WiFi router? The digital owners manual is confusing - at the beginning of the WiFi section it says “Note: WiFi is not yet available”, but then later it says that I should always leave WiFi enabled. I press the LTE button to start the scan but nothing happens even though I know my home WiFi signal reaches the car.

Should I be able to connect my Model 3 to my home WiFi router? The digital owners manual is confusing - at the beginning of the WiFi section it says “Note: WiFi is not yet available”, but then later it says that I should always leave WiFi enabled. I press the LTE button to start the scan but nothing happens even though I know my home WiFi signal reaches the car.

Non-SC WI-FI is enabled on 2018.24.1.

I guess that explains it. I have 2018.18.13 which I presume is an earlier version. Will the latest version download via LTE so that I can install it? My car was manufactured on May 20th and I took delivery on June 12th. When did 2018.24.1 come out?
People started reporting it being available last week. At some point you will get it over LTE.

I guess that explains it. I have 2018.18.13 which I presume is an earlier version. Will the latest version download via LTE so that I can install it? My car was manufactured on May 20th and I took delivery on June 12th. When did 2018.24.1 come out?
Patience grasshopper :)
Tesla tends to rollout firmware releases slowly at first before a wider release.
If there are too many issues they’ll hold and release a new version, this happened with this release.