Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 won't unlock without FaceID?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

This situation has existed for me for more than a year and I've tolerated it. But, it's increasingly annoying and I could use your suggestions.

Basically, more than 75% of the time, my 22M3LR won't unlock with my paired iPhone in my pocket. I pull on the door handle, and Sentry Mode kicks in. It's only when I turn the phone to face me and it recognizes me that it unlocks the car.

I've re-paired the phone once and I have precision location and background app updating allowed on the iPhone.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Todd

Hey all,

This situation has existed for me for more than a year and I've tolerated it. But, it's increasingly annoying and I could use your suggestions.

Basically, more than 75% of the time, my 22M3LR won't unlock with my paired iPhone in my pocket. I pull on the door handle, and Sentry Mode kicks in. It's only when I turn the phone to face me and it recognizes me that it unlocks the car.

I've re-paired the phone once and I have precision location and background app updating allowed on the iPhone.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Todd
This happened to me a long time ago. I ended up deleting EVERYTHING with regards to the phone connectivity to the car. I reinstalled the app and went thru the process of setting the "car key" and BT again. It's been solid ever since. I found that trying to shortcut the fix was not as effective as starting from a clean slate. Just my 2¢.

Hey all,

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Todd
Back pocket? If so, just turn around and "present butt"

Hah! I could do the “hokie pokie” and it still wouldn’t work!
Where do you keep your phone?

I'm trying to be helpful here. The vast majority of problems like this is because the car just can't hear the phone. A body is indeed enough to block a Bluetooth signal. Other factors that some into play is from which direction you approach the car.
And making sure that the phone OS isn't putting the app to sleep.

My phone is basically 100% reliable at unlocking, but many times, maybe even 50%, I have to turn around since I carry my phone in my back pocket.