Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Owners - Preordering a Cybertruck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fords advertised number (330 I think) on the F-150 lighting is with 1k payload as they claim this is the most common use case for a truck and did not want customers guessing when buying a truck.
I don't think so.
I think that's a rumor that was started by a Youtuber. He guessed that.
Articles picked it up but never have they quoted any source from Ford.
More importantly no documentation from Ford has ever said it that I know of and with the vehicle about to be delivered you'd think they would advertise that since it is such a great thing.

EPA estimates are not done with a load.
The EPA estimates that Ford provided them and were for ranges of 230 and 300 miles depending on battery pack chosen.
The official EPA range now that has been approved by Ford is for 230 and 320 miles.

I asked everyone that repeated that 1000 lb payload rumor if they saw anything from Ford indicating that and not one could provide any Ford source.
I could be wrong and if you have a link to Ford officially indicating the range with a 1000 lb payload I'd like to see it. Not some Youtuber.
I think you've been given misinformation.

Here's a link to the official specs posted by Ford when first released.
chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North%20America/US/product/2022/f-150-lightning/pdf/F-150_Lightning_Tech_Specs.pdf
Page 2 Targeted EPA Range: 230 and 300 miles. Nothing about a 1000 lb payload

Screenshot:
Screenshot (3185).png

Here's a link to a media release from Ford this March 21, 2022 where they state the official EPA ratings. Nothing about a 1000 lb payload aand as I stated before EPA ratings are not done with a payload.

Last edited:
The Rivian 4 motor can be under $100K in a more basic configuration. So $140K is too high.

I don't think Tesla is going to be excited about building inexpensive Cybertrucks, but I doubt the high end goes much over $100K.

In hindsight it was ridiculous for Musk to emphasize the low low entry level price.
Their goal has always been to make a truck that would be price competitive with ICE trucks. Ford, GM, and Ram will sit on their hand and crank out ICE trucks for the next 10 years unless Tesla gives them no choice.

That’s why they focused on the F150 as a comparison and why they set the prices where they did. That’s also why it’s unlikely the prices will skyrocket prior to launch. If they make a rich mans toy truck like Rivian did, it will have little to no impact on truck OEMs.

How can you use model Y to tide you over while waiting?

What happens if you do over 5,000 lb towing? I doubt the hitch will hold and not shears off - particularly concerned about pulling a heavy boat out of the water. It seems to be held on by 4 small bolts..
I'm in the same boat looking for temporary solution..

Last edited:

What happens if you do over 5,000 lb towing? I doubt the hitch will hold and not shears off - particularly concerned about pulling a heavy boat out of the water. It seems to be held on by 4 small bolts..
If you tow a boat the Model Y won’t work. Lots of people don’t.

YMMV

I'm one who bought a Model Y after ordering my CT because the wait is so long.
My solution works well but it's not exactly a fit for everyone.
I kept my RAM 1500 for what I need a pick up for and use the Y for everything else.
In the year I've owned my MY I've only filled up the RAM twice :)

I kept my RAM 1500 for what I need a pick up for and use the Y for everything else.
Me too. Also ex Ram owner, loved the truck but hated mpg.

Reactions: AquaY
I'd rather avoid keeping a second car even an old truck - it would cost me a lot in insurance, maintenance even if it's only used like 15 times during the summers.. it makes no sense to buy a truck and keep it in my driveway not moving for most of the year! I think cars break and rust if they don't move... Right?

Reactions: AquaY
I'd rather avoid keeping a second car even an old truck - it would cost me a lot in insurance, maintenance even if it's only used like 15 times during the summers.. it makes no sense to buy a truck and keep it in my driveway not moving for most of the year! I think cars break and rust if they don't move... Right?
Cars break and rust if they stay parked for years at a time. If you drive it once a month or so, most cars are fine.

Keeping it for a two - three years and only driving it once or twice a month is fine. Rodents and sun damage will be bigger worries.

Reactions: Rusty1 and tren01t
Seeking opinions from the masses. I pre-ordered a tri-motor CT on day 1, so waiting hadn't been a problem. My wife has a Y.LR. My original reasons for the tri-motor were:
- 14k lbs towing capacity
- 500 miles range (to minimize supercharger stops)
- seats 6

In the years since, the supercharger network has grown to the point that even the Y is capable for towing a (pop-up) trailer for a long road trip (just need to stop every 120miles (~2 hrs of driving @ 60mph) or so. It's definitely more of a hassle than being able to stop only once every 200 miles (~3hrs @ 70mph). And I'm finding that my need for towing long distances is significantly diminished.

Should I keep my CT order so that I have a vehicle that can cover the edge cases maybe once a year (but have no where to park - garage is too crowded), or should I cancel the order and get a 7-seat Y? Or should I forget both and go with a Rivian R1S instead?

Why the R1S?
- can tow 7,000 lbs over the Y's 3500 lbs.
- seats 7 adults comfortably.

Your CT will not be ready for awhile
you only have a $100 deposit.
keep your options open.
don’t cancel yet. Even if you decide to order a 7 seater Y or Rivian ( which won’t be available to you anytime soon either)

Well, the Y should be ready sooner (new orders ETA is showing Dec 2022). As would the R1S. It's the CT that the wait time is more uncertain. The price on the CT is uncertain as well, since I'd probably have to upgrade to a quad-motor in order to get it in time (versus downgrading to the dual motor and waiting for who-knows-when). I thought the tri-motor config was going away?

Well, the Y should be ready sooner (new orders ETA is showing Dec 2022). As would the R1S. It's the CT that the wait time is more uncertain. The price on the CT is uncertain as well, since I'd probably have to upgrade to a quad-motor in order to get it in time (versus downgrading to the dual motor and waiting for who-knows-when). I thought the tri-motor config was going away?

the Point is for $100 why limit your options

Seeking opinions from the masses. I pre-ordered a tri-motor CT on day 1, so waiting hadn't been a problem. My wife has a Y.LR. My original reasons for the tri-motor were:
- 14k lbs towing capacity
- 500 miles range (to minimize supercharger stops)
- seats 6

In the years since, the supercharger network has grown to the point that even the Y is capable for towing a (pop-up) trailer for a long road trip (just need to stop every 120miles (~2 hrs of driving @ 60mph) or so. It's definitely more of a hassle than being able to stop only once every 200 miles (~3hrs @ 70mph). And I'm finding that my need for towing long distances is significantly diminished.

Should I keep my CT order so that I have a vehicle that can cover the edge cases maybe once a year (but have no where to park - garage is too crowded), or should I cancel the order and get a 7-seat Y? Or should I forget both and go with a Rivian R1S instead?

Why the R1S?
- can tow 7,000 lbs over the Y's 3500 lbs.
- seats 7 adults comfortably.

A couple random thoughts.
  • The R1S is likely well over 2+ years out if you order it today. Day 1 Cybertrucks are likely ~10-18 months out.
  • Is the back seat of the 7-seat Y going to fit your family for long? Seems like it would be a tight fit for 6 people who are likely growing.
  • Lack of super solid pricing for the Cybertruck or the R1S is going to make this a tough call value-wise.
  • If 6 people is the priority, have you considered the Model X? I know it's pricey, but seems to tick all the boxes.

A couple random thoughts.
  • The R1S is likely well over 2+ years out if you order it today. Day 1 Cybertrucks are likely ~10-18 months out.
  • Is the back seat of the 7-seat Y going to fit your family for long? Seems like it would be a tight fit for 6 people who are likely growing.
  • Lack of super solid pricing for the Cybertruck or the R1S is going to make this a tough call value-wise.
  • If 6 people is the priority, have you considered the Model X? I know it's pricey, but seems to tick all the boxes.

Yes, the 3rd row of the model Y isn't going to work when the youngest reaches teenage years. As for the model X, I actually hate the falcon wing doors. Too showy for me.

But from a technical perspective, you're right that the 6-seater would fit adults just fine, and the 5000lb towing capacity is right at the limit of what I need. But the question of range when towing remains. Is having longer towing range something that I would dearly miss? Or is stopping at a supercharger every 140 miles (model X's range is 280 miles @ 80% charge) not a big deal?

I like AquaY's answer of just keep my options open, but I would hate to wait until next year only to find out that I didn't really need to wait. This is why I'm seeking the wisdom of the masses. Maybe I should just rent a trailer out on a random road trip and see how successful that goes (inviting Murphy along doesn't sound like good planning though)?

I like AquaY's answer of just keep my options open, but I would hate to wait until next year only to find out that I didn't really need to wait. This is why I'm seeking the wisdom of the masses. Maybe I should just rent a trailer out on a random road trip and see how successful that goes (inviting Murphy along doesn't sound like good planning though)?
It’s a good idea since most of your options aren’t fully realized yet.

I ordered the Cybertruck DM first but when I saw the wait was going to be so long (I'm probably a year out once they start delivering), I ordered a MYLR. That's coming this summer and I will likely trade it in towards the truck if the price is not too out of line with what was originally thought.

Reactions: WhiteWi