Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New browser & OS coming in December (maybe)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Musk promised this several years ago, along with a 3rd party API - and we're still waiting.

There is a comment about limitations of the onboard processors - and that doesn't make much sense for most of the functionality owners expect on the dashboard and console display.

The media player is worse in 8.0 and lacks many basic features (such as playlists) - not because of processor limitations, but because the software hasn't been developed with those features. The usability issues with 8.0 are not due to processor restrictions, but to poor design choices by the developers.

The navigation software (other than the trip planner) hasn't had many improvements since it was first released. We still have the "Frankenstein's monster" combination of Navigon software/maps, Tesla software and Google maps - which lacks many basic functions (like waypoints, route customization, nearby POI notifications, notifications of upcoming traffic restrictions, multiple routing choices, ...). These features don't require significant processing power - and the lack of them is more due to Tesla's choice not to implement them and instead focus their resources on other software projects.

However, for AP cars, it's very likely the Tegra processors could be a bottleneck for AP improvements, if Tesla is using any of those processors to support the AP functions - which is why AP 2.0 will likely include a processor upgrade to something like NVidia's Drive PX2 - essentially a supercomputer optimized for image processing.

While still slower than my iPhone the browser in my S seemed a bit faster after the update just before 8 and a bit quicker still with 8.0.

Anyone else seeing that?
yes, I've noticed at least one specific small improvement with the browser in v8 (2.40.21) compared to all previous v7.x

with v7, trying to login and use the ChargePoint website in the Tesla browser was basically futile. After logging in it would always take several minutes to load the page or two to show my favourite local public chargers.This was not an issue with cellular/LTE data speed, it was repeatable every time I tried it, meanwhile other sites were relatively fast by comparison to load in the car's browser. In fact once it took less time to just drive downtown (~15min) than it took for the ChargePoint site to finish loading after logging in.

now with v8, loading and navigating through the ChargePoint website is relatively quick - still not fast like a desktop or phone browser but at least it's useable now. Not sure what was on the page that bogged down v7 browser so much. I'm hopeful the promised browser speed update later this year will make more sites useable.

Reactions: MarcusMaximus
However, for AP cars, it's very likely the Tegra processors could be a bottleneck for AP improvements, if Tesla is using any of those processors to support the AP functions - which is why AP 2.0 will likely include a processor upgrade to something like NVidia's Drive PX2 - essentially a supercomputer optimized for image processing.

All of the camera image processing is happening on Mobileye's own chip in AP1, and in the 12 TFLOP nVidia supercomputer in AP2. I'm not positive where the radar is being processed, but I think it is mostly (all?) on Bosch's chips in the radar module.

Elon has made the point that the entertainment system and AP are entirely separate and running on different processors on various occasions, including the Q&A for AP2.

So umm... did we get the new kernel along the way this summer ? We didn't get any browser updates, at least nothing changed for me. It's starting to feel like Netscape.
netscape-hero.jpg

So... maybe by December 2017 ? :cool:

We did get a new kernel in June 2017 I believe, and the kernel, if memory serves, was an April 2016 kernel version. Still newer than the previous one, but not very new.

That being said, we did not get a new version of the browser. It's still old and lame.