Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Powershare Install by Tesla - Questions - CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is doing the Powershare install and they say they charge a minimum $3500 so that is the quote they gave me but there was no description of the work or location of equipment. They said if the install is very simple they change the flat $3500.00, if you want to change anything they charge the full amount for the change. There is no unused credit if the install was simple.

I have a panel/load center on the side of the house and one in the garage.

There is an existing 1" conduit that goes underground from the house to the garage.

When I had the Model S and the Gen 2 - 80A wall charger I was wanting to get 100A into the garage but I never did. If I understand the Conduit Fill Tables correctly a 1" PVC conduit would max out at 100A with three 3 gauge wires. Another chart shows three 2 gauge wires can fit but that would just get you 115A.

Now the wall charges and EVs max out at 48A, so no need for more than a 60A breaker?

Would I be able to get another Tesla Wall Charger and load share the same 60A circuit or is this not allowed with the Tesla Wall Charger that is used with Powershare?

There is another 1" conduit through the garage pad only so I'd have to re-trench the conduit outside.

Almost looks like they are adding another load center ('C' on the diagram) on the house and replacing the one in the garage with a 125A load center.
Tesla Cybertruck New Powershare Install by Tesla - Questions - CA fsuPxEuFt5ci82mM4avtD0OmZiXwsLlap26_gpzFYUvpFT31xA

The RELAY is the gateway. They had said the Gateway would be installed under the stairs but it's too close to the PG&E gas main and the posts for the stairs would be in the NEC Workspace.
Tesla Cybertruck New Powershare Install by Tesla - Questions - CA FgaltP-OMwckbIAQWJSCP3_9Dv9QVLQVDG5blQtOHdzHVFFNbk

Was thinking it would be something like this. I had to ask them three times to find out where they are planning to mount the equipment.
Tesla Cybertruck New Powershare Install by Tesla - Questions - CA 2YWyA6YjhbfZDT39-uhaRWMjDm4Q1kUHnv6_l7958QUn7MWkpo

Now I think it would be something like this. They were going to just run conduit up over the door. The door goes into a utility room and the walls are unfinished so the said it would be a few hundred more to run the conduit inside.
1714178201082.png

If they can run the wires inside maybe they can go around the side. Seems silly when they could go right next to the existing load center save for the codes/safety.
1714178438354.png

The new load center 'C', I think is because there is no more room in the existing load center. But I don't know how they are bypassing the current circuits to send only utility power only to the gateway and not energizing existing circuits. They show a relocated breaker in 'C' going out 'To (E) Loads'. I think that is going back into the existing load center that will still have all the breakers for everything in the house?

The existing load center has 14 spaces and 6 are already doubled up. The bottom 4 spaces are for the 20A to the garage and a 30A for a wall heater. If the wall heater could go up top with the dryer in a 30A quad breaker that would leave 4 spaces at the bottom.

They may already be doing this to get the second 125A breaker that goes out to the gateway. I still do not know why the new load center 'C' is needed.

It seems like you could have the new 125A breaker that takes the utility power from the exiting 125A main breaker then goes out to the gateway in spaces 11-12. Then the power would come right back in from the gateway to power the existing breakers in the existing load center. The 60A breaker shown in new load center 'C' could go in spaces 13-14 and then out to the garage.
1714178499820.png

I asked for the make, model and or dimensions of the gateway and the two new 125A load centers. They did not tell me the size of the gateway but did tell me the part numbers for the two new load centers and they see way overkill for just a few breakers in each.

Load center, Homeline, 1 phase, 24 spaces, 48 circuits, 125A convertible main lugs, PoN, NEMA3R
Load center, Homeline, 1 phase, 12 spaces, 24 circuits, 125A convertible main lugs, PoN, NEMA3R

They are both for outdoor use and seem way too big. I guess the smaller one should be for the garage but it will not fit or they are planning to surface mount it?
1714178543949.png

Yes. Had put CA in the title. :)
Sorry, I did miss that, but the particular utility matters, too. I suspect that PG&E will have a proximity issue to the gas line/meter for the proposed location in the first photo. The line diagram, and your second photos seem consistent with what has gone through.

A 60A breaker supports a continuous 48A load per the code, and, yes, there are ways to share one circuit between two chargers.

As to whether Tesla will surface mount or install some other way, Tesla's operational mode is to simple, cheap, standard operating procedures. So, yes, my personal bet would be surface mount, but the crew will do what is expedient.

Yours,

BG

Upvote 0
As to whether Tesla will surface mount or install some other way, Tesla's operational mode is to simple, cheap, standard operating procedures. So, yes, my personal bet would be surface mount, but the crew will do what is expedient.
Yes but there are 125A load centers that will fit in the 8-1/2" side or the 13-1/2" side. I do not want a big box outside, right next to the door.

They said they are willing to run the conduit inside as the walls are unfinished for a few hundred more.

Even on the left of the door the main water line into the house is also in the way of the 30" NEC Workspace.
1714337974014.png

I'm going to ask that they mount them on the back side of the house.

1714338333627.png

1714338296836.png

Upvote 0