Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quality issue - Memphis Service Center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I normally don’t submit public criticism of Tesla. However, I am at a loss as to what I can do to get resolution of unprofessional and slopy workmanship from the Memphis Service Department.

In early January my Model S had a main battery failure. Coincidentally, my touch screen was also defective. I contacted the service hotline and made an appointment. I was advised that because my car was covered in warranty, the car would be transported to the Memphis Service Center at no expense to me. I live in Little Rock, AR. So that was good news.

It took two weeks to have the parts shipped, delivered, and installed. When I contacted Tesla for the return of my car, I was told that the warranty only covers transport of the vehicle to the service center, and not returning to the customer (Really? This was a surprise to me!)

I chose to rent a car and drive from Little Rock to Memphis to pick up my car. Using the text app on my phone, I requested that the car be fully charged for my return home.

When I got to the service center at noon, I found my car in the parking lot. It had not been cleaned, and the battery was not charged. At my request, the car was charged, which took another hour (Remember, I still had to drive back to Little Rock, a 4-hour drive).

After a day or two, I decided to clean up and wash my car. I found that the seat belt receptacle in the backseat was covered by seat fabric, and the seat belt clip couldn’t be inserted. I suspected that the battery replacement required removal of the back seat.

I took my car to a local body shop (I’ve used this company in the past). When I returned to see if the seat belt problem was fixed, I was told that whoever repaired my car damaged the seat assembly and mounting brackets. He took several pictures of the damage.

I contacted the Memphis service center via text on the Tesla app. I was told that to have the back seat repaired, I would have to return the car to Memphis. My response to that suggestion was “NO WAY would I want the Memphis service center to repair the damage they caused”, and especially having to wait for parts from Tesla, notorious for long delays.

I suggested, as an alternative, that I use my local body shop (who already repairs Tesla’s in the area), and have Tesla send the parts at no charge, and reimburse for the labor to install. This would be most convenient for me (the customer), and the labor for the repairs would be minimal.

I received a text message back from the service app that my proposal was not possible, and that the issue was concluded as “This conversation has been closed”. This answer was not satisfactory.

Subsequently, I sent “registered” letters to the “Vehicle Service” in Palo Alto on March 1,2024 (including all the photos of the damage), and a second letter on March 18, 2024. I received no reply or response from either letter. On April 8, 2024, I sent a “registered” letter to Elon Musk at the Palo Alto headquarters. Today is April 30, 2024. And again, no response or reply.

Over the years, I have purchased three Model S’s (including a Signature edition) and have been a very satisfied customer. However, this total disregard of my seat problem has left me very disappointed and frustrated. Not only because of the lack of follow-up, but also because I’m concerned about the passenger safety of my car.

If I were to have my local body shop make the repairs at my expense, the out-of-pocket cost would be more than $3,500. What do I do now? Any suggestions?

The back seat is user removeable, just like most any other rear seats. Just pull the releases under the front of the seat and lift.

It's indeed really easy to accidentally not align one of the seat belt receptacles when doing so.
You didn't post the damage, so I can't really judge, be there's really not much there.

I believe that you would have been aware that the Service Center was that far away when you purchased the vehicle and that it was a known risk that you were willing to take.

I think that it was actually nice of Tesla to pick up the initial towing expense. That couldn't have been cheap.

If I were to have my local body shop make the repairs at my expense, the out-of-pocket cost would be more than $3,500
Which is exactly why the answer from Tesla regarding having your body shop fix it was "No". Their cost to fix it would not be $3500 to them internally, and the fact that its more convenient to you doesnt really matter in the scheme of things as far as costs go unless they can absorb the cost.

With all the job cutting, they obviously cant absorb the cost.

What do I do now? Any suggestions?

Either:

1. Ignore the damage
2. Take it back to Tesla to get it repaired.
3. get it repaired at your body shop at your expense, and check with an attorney to see if there is some way to compel tesla to pay for it.

Subsequently, I sent “registered” letters to the “Vehicle Service” in Palo Alto on March 1,2024 (including all the photos of the damage), and a second letter on March 18, 2024. I received no reply or response from either letter. On April 8, 2024, I sent a “registered” letter to Elon Musk at the Palo Alto headquarters. Today is April 30, 2024. And again, no response or reply.
Did you send an "email" to "[email protected]" like instructed to do in the warranty document and arbitration provision if you have a concern or claim?

(I'm not particularly convinced this will get you any further, but it IS what they ask you to do, not send "registered" letters to Elon)

Unfortunately your choice is pretty much either to take it back or pay for it yourself. They aren't going to pay someone else to do the work.

Also, how is Little Rock to Memphis a 4 hour drive? Do you drive at half the speed limit?

Reactions: Yelobird