Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quick 4-month new MY report

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my black on black M3 since June 2019 (105,000 miles), and traded it in for my MY in February. Here's a quick report in case anyone cares...

1) I absolutely love it, and I was worried I would miss the M3. While I will always have a soft spot in my heart for the old M3, the MY is just better in nearly every way.
2) Bigger is better. And the MY is bigger. So much easier to bring stuff places. But most importantly, my wife and kids don't hate sitting in the back seat. They all love the move to the MY.
3) White interior is awesome. Period. If you're thinking about it, get it! It's cooler in the summer. It looks fantastic. My wife loves it. And it has been easy to keep clean.
4) Midnight Silver Metallic is beautiful. I thought I'd miss black. But this thing can be dirty as all get-out and it still looks great. The black only looks good when it's just been cleaned.
5) The MY drives great. I thought I'd really miss the sportiness of the M3. Nope. Took me a few days to get used to it. I find it 90% (maybe 95%?) as fun to drive as the M3.
6) The Ryzen hardware is soooo much better than my old Atom. It makes a very noticeable difference.
7) Lack of USS is missed, but it's not even close to the dealbreaker I thought it would be. That said, I'm still really disappointed that Elon removed them. Classic Elon move there.
8) If you're on the fence about upgrading from a M3 to a MY like I was, it's worth doing, especially if your M3 is older like mine was.

Tesla_Model_Y_IMG_9499.jpg

"Tesla Model Y IMG 9499" by Alexander-93 is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

Nice summary, very much agree. We have a 2023 Model 3 RWD (my commuter) and a 2024 MYLR (wife’s / family car).

I was also surprised at how much bigger the Y is in every dimension. It’s a substantial difference. The back seat of my car is a short-distance-only penalty box that the kids constantly gripe about but the Y is no problem at all.

White interior on both, no regrets. I came from an older Model S with intel MCU and the Ryzen is a huge upgrade.

USS missing is not nearly as big a deal as it’s made out to be.

Model 3 is much more fun on a twisty road but there is zero mistaking the extra power of the MYLR with acceleration boost.

Glad we have both, they each serve their purpose for us.

Model 3 is much more fun on a twisty road but there is zero mistaking the extra power of the MYLR with acceleration boost.
Totally undeniable on a twisty road. It was fun in my M3. But I’m perfectly happy with the MY on those roads too. And I’m toying with the idea of getting the AB with my loyalty points. But I’ll probably get the roof rack instead.

Reactions: ucmndd
Nice to read something positive for a change. We moved to EV 6 months ago and for a variety of reasons Tesla, and the MYP was our vehicle of choice.

So far so good. We love the car. The way it drives, the space, even the look (despite a slightly frog-like front-on view). After 4 new Audi's I'd argue there are aspects that Tesla do better, other bits where Audi still have the upper hand. Difficult to really compare apples with apples though as none of our Audi's were EVs.

Any frustrations we have with Tesla and/or the MYP are generally not show-stoppers. Most annoyingly, the majority could be easily put right by Tesla and in some instances they are doing just that with the M3 Highland and/or OTA updates.

So what does frustrate us:
  1. Lack of auto park - Especially given that I paid for it at the start! I don't really understand how Tesla get away with that particular aspect of their delivery model. I understand it may be imminent though particularly for newer MYs on the Rizen chip.
  2. Park assist - The random wiggly line we had for the first few months was awful. Worse than useless. I'm still reserving judgement but the upgraded park assist actually seems to be reliable. Certainly much clearer. So I'm not sure if this is still a complaint.
  3. The Urberturbine wheels - Or more to the point, the fact they protrude the tires by some considerable margin. Align that with the lack of auto parking (and the first version of Park assist) and I challenge anyone to have an MYP (certainly on British roads) for any length of time and not damage a rim. That cannot be a difficult fix for Tesla.
  4. I'm scratching my head for a number 4! I'll go with build quality? I'm really not sure though, as our car seems to be built just fine (fingers crossed). Difficult to say if its as good as the Audi because they are entirely different beasts. If I'd had an Audi EV then I'd be better placed to make that assessment. I'm going to say that Audi is still a better built car overall although I'm not entirely sure what I'm basing that on.

Reactions: EatsShoots
Lack of auto park - Especially given that I paid for it at the start! I don't really understand how Tesla get away with that particular aspect of their delivery model. I understand it may be imminent though particularly for newer MYs on the Rizen chip.
Maybe it’s different in the UK, but our 2023 US MYP has Autopark. Do you have either EAP or FSD? Which build are you on?

While I'm a complete autopilot addict with probably 90,000 miles driven on that system, I always found autopark to be useless on my M3 with USS. It didn't always trigger properly and parked too far from the curb. Now, on my new MY, I haven't even tried it yet. Park assist has been somewhat useful as a tool to compliment my eyes. It was far more useful on the M3 with USS. But as I said above, it's not the end of the world that I no longer have it as accurate. I was kind of let down that summon is 100% unavailable on my new MY. ("coming soon"--two weeks?). I rarely used it on the M3, but when I did, it was sometimes useful. Even dumb summon would have helped me the other day in a really tight spot. But in the end, my use of Tesla tech is 99% for autopilot. That's why I bought it, as I drive a lot for work. Seriously, with no hyperbole, it's a miracle for me. And the new MY works just as well as the old M3 in that regard.

Reactions: 404 Not Found
I had my black on black M3 since June 2019 (105,000 miles), and traded it in for my MY in February. Here's a quick report in case anyone cares...

1) I absolutely love it, and I was worried I would miss the M3. While I will always have a soft spot in my heart for the old M3, the MY is just better in nearly every way.
2) Bigger is better. And the MY is bigger. So much easier to bring stuff places. But most importantly, my wife and kids don't hate sitting in the back seat. They all love the move to the MY.
3) White interior is awesome. Period. If you're thinking about it, get it! It's cooler in the summer. It looks fantastic. My wife loves it. And it has been easy to keep clean.
4) Midnight Silver Metallic is beautiful. I thought I'd miss black. But this thing can be dirty as all get-out and it still looks great. The black only looks good when it's just been cleaned.
5) The MY drives great. I thought I'd really miss the sportiness of the M3. Nope. Took me a few days to get used to it. I find it 90% (maybe 95%?) as fun to drive as the M3.
6) The Ryzen hardware is soooo much better than my old Atom. It makes a very noticeable difference.
7) Lack of USS is missed, but it's not even close to the dealbreaker I thought it would be. That said, I'm still really disappointed that Elon removed them. Classic Elon move there.
8) If you're on the fence about upgrading from a M3 to a MY like I was, it's worth doing, especially if your M3 is older like mine was.
The shorter range hasn't been an issue at all for you?

The shorter range hasn't been an issue at all for you?
Just did a convoy road trip with my old 3P and new YP both on OEM summer tires and standard pressures.

YP has slightly worse efficiency, offset by less degradation on newer battery. They both get near identical results on a % basis. (similar numeric value start and finish). Meaning it drives the same total distance. Or close enough to be meaningless.

• Helpful
Reactions: PassingLane
Not to be a Debbie Downer but I disagree that the Model Y is "better". It, as always, comes down to choice and personal preference, I am a Model 3 Owner, I test drove both, spent weekends with both, I found the MY to be to upright for me. I prefer the laid back recliner feel of the Low slung Model 3.
Everything else, i.e. white interior and MMS is the bomb!

I do have EAP. I'm still on 2024.8.9 though but 'expecting' 2024.14.6 any day now. I think (but never very sure) Autopark will come with that update.
I seem to recall that Autopark for your car is only available in builds with FSD v12, but you currently have FSD v11. 2024.14.x includes FSD v12, so you should be able to use Autopark when you get that. Although you only have EAP, your car still needs the version of EAP in FSD v12 for Autopark.

Reactions: MidBaz
I'll chime in here as a 5 month owner of a MY RWD. Overall very happy with the purchase and haven't noticed any build issues at all so far. However, my windshield has already needed replacement due to a crack caused by a rock chip. And shortly thereafter I picked up another chip, but luckily it is shallow and hasn't cracked.

I've been running the v12 FSD trial for a couple of weeks now and the auto-park works very well for both parking on the street and in parking lots.

Not to be a Debbie Downer but I disagree that the Model Y is "better". It, as always, comes down to choice and personal preference, I am a Model 3 Owner, I test drove both, spent weekends with both, I found the MY to be to upright for me. I prefer the laid back recliner feel of the Low slung Model 3.
Everything else, i.e. white interior and MMS is the bomb!
This isn’t really a new purchase for me in someways. I really loved my M3 and was very reluctant to trade it in. I was concerned about losing USS, that it wouldn’t be as good of a drive, and I definitely wasn’t psyched to spend the money. So I didn’t go into this expecting to be happy. The catalyst to me doing this was getting a scary error about the car performance being reduced one day, and I had already been paranoid about being out of warranty. And then the FSD transfer happened again, and this time I decided to do it. Ultimately I’m happier than I thought I would be.

Reactions: Lance From Jax
Congratulations!

One thing to note is that most new purchases in life usually start with a feeling of "greatness". Happens whenever I buy any new car. lol....We all love them initially.
This speaks to a greater truth. In many cases our lusting for a product is more exciting than the final receipt of it. After a while it's just a box with four wheels and an engine (or electric motor). Not that one cannot really still like their car for years, but that "omg I want that" feeling goes away.

I have problems with tesla but some things it does amazingly. I've thought for many years that a car should simple know if it's us and then let us drive, and tesla is there. Yes, we need a phone on us, but the phone key in general works perfectly. While others tout push-button start Tesla realized even that is pointless.

Then things not obvious like if you're doing a multi-point turn you need not even hit the break; when ready for changing gear just do it and keep a little throttle on and it will brake and then reverse direction for you. So, this makes it probably the quickest car on the planet for multi-point turns.

• Love
Reactions: primedive
I've had my MYP now for 10,500 miles and 9 months. Even though I drive the wide streets of Phoenix, Arizona, I've still managed to curb rash all four wheels within the first few months. I put that down partially to the wide turning circle of the model Y. Haven't hit a curb in a few months now so I must be getting used to it, but it's disappointing.

I have very few complaints about the car, especially after getting used to the controls. And especially after learning a lot of verbal commands so I don't have to menu-dive. I have no rattles, no panel gaps, no weird quality issues. On the one hand I love the performance, and on the other hand I love the extreme practicality and space for 'stuff'. It's a great blend and compromise. It drives pretty well, but I'd love to have a new M3P for more sporty drives.

On the other hand, I'm becoming addicted to FSD 12.3. I use it a lot, and I've subscribed to it. When the car drives me, I feel much much less aggressive, and it seems ok to have lots of other cars passing me. Using FSD means NOT sporty driving, and I'm OK with that. FSD does the boring stuff and I do the rest.

I don't need more range with one exception since the Supercharger stations are well-sited out west. The exception is traveling across the Navajo reservation to Colorado via Four Corners. That's just plain too far, and it seems like it may be 5-10 years before a public DC fast charger goes in anywhere on the rez. NEVI funding may kick in to provide something, somewhere.

Reactions: primedive
My MYLR is from Feb 2022 (with USS) and after 2+ years it looks brand new. Zero curb rash on the wheels, and I've never curbed any wheel in my life. My build quality seems just fine, definitely on par with my past Acuras, and actually better than the 2022 Sienna I have. Everything works perfectly, I have no complaints.

I did use FSD beta briefly during the free trial and I can see some value for it on freeways. It's too scary for me on city streets. Regular autopilot is also fine on the freeway and I sometimes use it. But most of the time I just drive it like a normal car. Last year I got the accel boost due to referral credits but I never push the throttle hard enough to feel it.

Reactions: Lance From Jax