Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rich Rebuilds CPO disaster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The guy has a true passion for taking cars out of the swamp and putting them back together. The YouTube money is decent but not the main draw...you gotta have more views and subscribes to make the real money. But here you go, here are his earning details for those who are interested: UCfV0_wbjG8KJADuZT2ct4SA YouTube Stats, Channel Statistics - Socialblade.com

Yes, his channel is often great. But all regular buyers would have walked away weeks ago. His reward from his youtube channel is certainly not primarily financial.

Nothing wrong with what he is doing with this purchase. But it is not a regular buyer experience from either side of the transaction.

It's all about brand reputation. Tesla is surfing on what I would consider to be "inflated" brand reputation, a halo. Enough negative word of mouth and that halo disappears and with it their sales. The fastest way to destroy that brand reputation is for influencers like Rich to have poor experiences because you'd think they'd be blind kool-aid drinking fanoibs. Even Bjorn up in Norway has a lot of criticisms for Tesla. So the evangelists not being universally positive is a serious warning sign.

This process (in addition to every other team) is only going to get worse with the cut in headcount.

Yes, his channel is often great. But all regular buyers would have walked away weeks ago. His reward from his youtube channel is certainly not primarily financial.

Nothing wrong with what he is doing with this purchase. But it is not a regular buyer experience from either side of the transaction.

Exactly. His video highlights an important issue, but is not representative of a normal buyer. Rich is going along with this mess just because he can create new YT videos. Would a normal buyer proceed with the purchase after getting no response from a request for photos? Probably not.

It's all about brand reputation. Tesla is surfing on what I would consider to be "inflated" brand reputation, a halo. Enough negative word of mouth and that halo disappears and with it their sales. The fastest way to destroy that brand reputation is for influencers like Rich to have poor experiences because you'd think they'd be blind kool-aid drinking fanoibs. Even Bjorn up in Norway has a lot of criticisms for Tesla. So the evangelists not being universally positive is a serious warning sign.

Rich, Bjorn, even Kim (LikeTesla) is airing these same concerns, as are MANY other Youtubers:

They do this not to slam Tesla, but to hopefully get someone's attention that these things REALLY need to be fixed -- and SOON!! Because if Tesla goes down, so do all the Youtubers.

Rich, Bjorn, even Kim (LikeTesla) is airing these same concerns, as are MANY other Youtubers:

They do this not to slam Tesla, but to hopefully get someone's attention that these things REALLY need to be fixed -- and SOON!! Because if Tesla goes down, so do all the Youtubers.

Might be why Elon pulled the ref program ;)

I don't see any other car manufacturers suffering on wall street for their horrible service. Why should Tesla?

I've primarily driven Chevrolet EVs and have had some pretty good service with the dealerships I've dealt with. I've had some pretty terrible experiences with Tesla's delivery experience, service work (I haven't reported it here, but they made a big screw up but agreed to fix it), terrible wait times etc.

I mean I love Tesla and have for a long time but I don't see them making a fast enough effort to improve this.

On a side note back on my main topic about why going private just simply makes sense for Tesla had they the capital to do so read this blog post from 2013 to SpaceX employees.

Elon Musk about Going Public - June 7, 2013 (From his Biography by Ashlee Vance) : teslamotors

Most cities, have 1-2 service centers max, do you think that will be enough to support the 180k Model 3s they have shipped in just 2018, I think not.... Tesla does not have infrastructure to handle them.
Are you referring to Tesla SCs? Delaware has zero Tesla presence, South Carolina has zero Tesla presence...North Carolina has 2 SCs, Virginia has 2 SCs...Georgia has 3 SCs all in Atlanta....the East coast is way lacking in Tesla presence and totally lacks the infrastructure to handle them. FYI.

• Informative
Reactions: evalst2018
I’m surprised that Rich still wants that car.

Why wouldn't he want that car? He's getting it refurbed by Tesla at their expense - he's using his position in the You Tube for a gain - smart move. As he said, bought the cheapest on the site, didn't look at it nor care. He was going to fix everything himself....now Tesla is doing all that work for him such that it's going to be nearly new and if you will = CPO. You go and try to do that and see what Tesla does for you - probably nothing.

If he doesn't want that X let me know the VIN and I'll take it. It was priced according to it's state of disrepair when he bought it off the interweb....now it's a refurbed CPO X.

Easy. Read a history book.

Just read all the posts and all the Youtube videos from huge Tesla fans about how much Tesla is farking up new and used deliveries. They're doing everything wrong selling used cars. Everything. Every department is understaffed and overworked. It's a massive, systemic problem. If it goes on long enough, Tesla will loose that shine they've spent so long to create, and guess what? People may stop buying cars because Tesla is incapable of scaling up their start-up mentality operation. Tesla could, and has on several occasions, almost gone out of business and FAILED. That's not a success. They can definitely be "unuccessed" only by their own doing. For historic reference, see: Hoist with his own petard - Wikipedia

But you seem caught up on the words "success" vs "successful". Sure you can't change history, and Tesla did successfully launch EVs into the world. I also successfully took a dump this morning. Does that make me a success? If Tesla goes out of business, they are far, far, far from being a success. In fact, that would be a colossal failure, like every other "successful" company that went out of business... Would you call Enron a success? They were successful in changing the energy markets (some for the worse), but ended up being one of the biggest failures in corporate history. How about MCI/Worldcom? Or Blockbuster Video? Lehman Brothers? Madoff Group? Nortel Networks? AIG? (although they got a government bailout because they were "too big to fail")... the list goes on and on and on. These were all successful companies at one point, but ended up being huge failures in the end. See: List of corporate collapses and scandals - Wikipedia

You really think by some divine intervention, Tesla is somehow immune to failing? That they'll always be a success? No, Tesla can easily be "unsuccessed".

Ok...now it has turned into personal insults.

Conversation over.

• Disagree
Reactions: P85_DA
Are you referring to Tesla SCs? Delaware has zero Tesla presence, South Carolina has zero Tesla presence...North Carolina has 2 SCs, Virginia has 2 SCs...Georgia has 3 SCs all in Atlanta....the East coast is way lacking in Tesla presence and totally lacks the infrastructure to handle them. FYI.
Yes i was only referring to california and the other 8 states Tesla is allowed to sell cars. SCs are based on numbers. If you take The bay area+Los Angeles+San diego...that probably close to 30% of all Tesla’s in the US.

I'm glad Rich Rebuilds is finally getting the spotlight on this terrible behavior. Rich makes some good points that it is a 1st world problem but really, many Tesla buyers expect a 1st world lifestyle so if this was to happen to them in the past, it might cause them to never consider a Tesla again, I hope Tesla is able to do something about their policies that may have made sense at 30-50k/cars a year, but simply unsustainable at 500k/cars a year.

Reactions: kablammyman
It's just PO, now.
More like POS (piece of *sugar*). How the hell can youbin good faith put a car up for sale while it’s nit even I. One piece. Rich is paying on the loan and insureance for nearly two months for a damn car he doesn’t have. That’s Bull$h!t

I posted last summer on how I notice Tesla service starting to deteriorate once model 3s started rolling out and I was lambasted. This is no longer the exclusive private club we model S owners once had.

Reactions: PhilDavid
Rich is paying on the loan and insureance for nearly two months for a damn car he doesn’t have. That’s Bull$h!t

I heard him mention this and was confused. Why would you not just cancel the insurance policy? I had to do the same thing when my delivery was delayed. Also, I am pretty sure he is not paying on a loan. That also would not make sense.

I had the same question. There are major holes in this story about Rich.

He explained it in his 2nd or 3rd story. Apparently according to the instructions of his order, he had to furnish insurance for the car, I think he mis-interpreted it as Tesla requiring insurance to be in the car to be added to his policy versus just providing an existing insurance policy.

Reactions: PhilDavid